Auditiorium 23 Mat adjustments

newvinyl

Auditiorium 23 Mat adjustments
« on: 22 Jul 2014, 03:33 am »
Just put an Auditorium mat (the thin one) on my Amadeus GTA. Love it. It just sounds more "whole". Just spent the evening listening to some of my better sounding LPs. I can differentiate the differences between LPs even better now than with the stock mat.

My only concern was that it would be harder to remove an LP, but that doesn't seem to be a problem. As a bonus, the mat stays on the platter when removing an LP now - as opposed to the stock mat where the mat would often stick to the LP.

Had to adjust VTA. Moved the arm pillar down, but didn't change the silicon well. Now the golf ball sits a little deeper in the silicon. From what I can tell, the golf ball is about half-way into the silicon. Sounds good, but there is definitely more "drag" when I move the tonearm from the rest position to the LP.

I'm wondering how other Well Tempered users set up their turntable. How deep should the golf ball sit in the silicon?

watercourse

Re: Auditiorium 23 Mat adjustments
« Reply #1 on: 22 Jul 2014, 03:47 am »
I've got one of them black A23 mats as well. The golf ball is about 1/4 in the goop. Lots of drag here too, but not overdamped, i.e. dynamics and frequency range are intact.

newvinyl

« Reply #2 on: 23 Jul 2014, 02:42 am »
Adjusted (dropped) the goop well this evening and listened to a bunch more LPs. Now the golf ball sits somewhere between 1/4 and 1/3 into the goop. Sounds more "open" now. Brass has more "splat"; drums have more "bite", and (the big test) piano sounds more like a a real piano - like a percussion instrument.

Two thoughts: 1) if I was to set up the turntable from scratch again, I would put marks on the golf ball so I would have a more precise measurement of how deep into the goop it sits, and 2) it's pretty cool how the turntable can be set up to sound different. For example, if you wanted a more "mellow" sound, you could damp the tone arm more by sinking it deeper into the goop.

In any case, I'm more and more impressed with the Amadeus every day. I have a fairly modest set up now, but I wanted to start with a good source. If, and when, I upgrade the back end, I'm sure there's even more in the grooves that I'm not hearing yet.

Personal side note: I'm particularly sensitive to how piano is reproduced. I took piano lessons as a kid so I have a keen sense of what a piano should sound like. One day, I was sitting in the living room of my piano teacher's house. In the attached dinning room, there were two grand pianos side by side. While I was waiting for my lesson to start, the piano teacher's long haired, hippy son and his friend where jamming and improvising on the two pianos - playing blues and stuff like that. As a kid, I had never heard anything like that. It was unbelievably fantastic - a life changing experience.

gagamut

« Reply #3 on: 23 Jul 2014, 05:36 am »
i like 'mellow'sound,so my golf ball is damp 1/3,may be a little bit over :D

mick wolfe

« Reply #4 on: 23 Jul 2014, 04:29 pm »
i like 'mellow'sound,so my golf ball is damp 1/3,may be a little bit over :D

That's about where I'm at. Beyond that point I believe you start to over damp a bit. ....even to a point where it's difficult to set VTF properly. As I got closer to 1/2, I discovered it was impossible to set a consistent tracking force. The "goop" started to control the arm rather than simply damp it. As always YMMV, but I believe what's been mentioned already, the sweet spot is between 1/4 and 1/3 submerged.

gagamut

« Reply #5 on: 24 Jul 2014, 01:34 am »
HI,
just want to ask, you telling the sweet spot is 1/3 or 1/4,and you  measure the whole golf ball or half golf ball???thanks

Sam

watercourse

« Reply #6 on: 24 Jul 2014, 03:38 am »
Whole golf ball.

mick wolfe

« Reply #7 on: 24 Jul 2014, 03:30 pm »
HI,
just want to ask, you telling the sweet spot is 1/3 or 1/4,and you  measure the whole golf ball or half golf ball???thanks

Sam
Watercourse beat me to the punch. Yes, the whole golf ball.

gagamut

« Reply #8 on: 25 Jul 2014, 01:11 am »
 :duh:mine is 1/3 too :D

mick wolfe

« Reply #9 on: 25 Jul 2014, 03:48 pm »
For the record, I think it's also wise to check your VTF after making these "damping" adjustments. Probably goes without saying though.

wsill

« Reply #10 on: 26 Jul 2014, 10:37 am »
Hello, I also have the WTT Amadeus. Where did you purchase your Auditiorium Mat, and what does it cost please?
Thanks, Bill

gagamut

« Reply #11 on: 27 Jul 2014, 05:54 am »

newvinyl

« Reply #12 on: 29 Jul 2014, 09:17 pm »
Purchased at St Louis Stereo. $100.

mick wolfe

« Reply #13 on: 30 Jul 2014, 03:23 pm »
Hello, I also have the WTT Amadeus. Where did you purchase your Auditiorium Mat, and what does it cost please?
Thanks, Bill

Pitch Perfect Audio in L.A. ( now ) Any Tone Imports dealer should have both Aud. 23 mats.

watercourse

« Reply #14 on: 30 Jul 2014, 03:56 pm »
Brothers Chris and Dale Shepard are two cool cats that run Eugene Hi Fi. http://eugenehifi.com/

Erocka2000

« Reply #15 on: 30 Jul 2014, 08:58 pm »
In Living Stereo in NYC.

wsill

« Reply #16 on: 5 Aug 2014, 04:17 pm »
OK, I received my Auditorium thin mat late yesterday for my WTT Amadeus. I have the Dynavector 20x2-L cartridge mounted.
I got my mat from the nice gentleman: Charlie Schnyder -- ST. Louis Stereo.

My impressions with replacing the stock WTT mat with the Auditorium thin mat are :: Its like there was a fine focus knob added on the turntable, everything is in better focus, a bit more space between the notes and finally more a bit more dynamic sounding.  And yes, finally the mat does not stick to the lps as you remove them.
 Its definitely a worthy improvement,

rob400

• Versalex and Audio Note for the rest
« Reply #17 on: 5 Aug 2014, 05:11 pm »
I bought a A23 Homage last week and I have to say it's better than anything else I've used. A must for all Amadeus and Versalex owners in my opinion....
« Last Edit: 14 Aug 2014, 03:09 pm by rob400 »

Bobbywheat

« Reply #18 on: 13 Aug 2014, 08:59 pm »
Hi all,

I am interested in buying an Auditorium 23 mat, but which one I cannot make my mind. There seems to be more WTA owners using the regular mat than the Homage, is it because it has better synergy with the table or it's simply cheaper? Has anyone tried both?

Best regards,
robert

doak

« Reply #19 on: 15 Aug 2014, 02:45 am »
My impressions with replacing the stock WTT mat with the Auditorium thin mat are :: Its like there was a fine focus knob added on the turntable, everything is in better focus, a bit more space between the notes and finally more a bit more dynamic sounding.  And yes, finally the mat does not stick to the lps as you remove them.
 Its definitely a worthy improvement,

Yep, that's what it does alright!  :thumb:

Doak