Eggs on toast please
1 (14.3%)

Total Members Voted: 7

Voting closed: 24 Nov 2014, 03:12 pm

Separates or integrated?

JohnR

Separates or integrated?
« on: 21 Nov 2014, 03:12 pm »
I'm starting to think I'm not going to get the results I want from my headphone rig from an all-in-one DAC/amp.

:(  :bawl: (that's my wallet crying)

I thought I might ask what others have found. In your experience, what combination has given you the best results? Pse note: headphone rigs only ;)

Any other factors you think essential for great results?

Vulcan00

• SEM Micrograph of Dendritic Structure
Re: Separates or integrated?
« Reply #1 on: 21 Nov 2014, 04:02 pm »
JohnR:

Please explain why you may not be happy with your headphone rig using an all-in-one DAC/Amp ? I am interested in your results and what are the limitations you are experiencing with your setup.

Thanks

JohnR

« Reply #2 on: 22 Nov 2014, 02:34 am »
Hi Dale, I guess I was wondering more if people had gone through the exercise and where they had ended up.

Hi Vulcan00, I don't really have an answer to that, I'm looking to move up a level (or two) and trying to figure out how. I suppose one answer would be to get a more expensive all-in-one unit. I have a feeling I would like this http://www.fostexinternational.com/docs/products/HP-A8C.shtml#content-3-tab-tab but I'm not sure that it has enough power - I mean it does in theory but I've read that the HE-560 does better with more, so that suggests maybe get a separate amp and then of course only the "right" DAC is needed. Also it's... expensive. I'm waiting on a couple of units with more power (crowd-waiting oops I mean funded) but for reasons I won't go into I suspect they won't do it for me either. Etc. Hence, where have others ended up after being in this situation?

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #3 on: 22 Nov 2014, 02:30 pm »
The best sound to my ears has been thru an external USB Dac and amp.

The best sound with a wide variety of cans has been a HRT Tech MSii+ Asynch USB dac and the amp is the headamp section in a Van Alstine Insight+ preamp headphone out jack.

Second is a standalone USB dac and a Separate amp (ODA).

Listening for hundreds and hundreds of hours with all kinds of cans the first one to me is magical...don't know why it just does.

Alex

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #4 on: 22 Nov 2014, 04:34 pm »
I have both all in one and separate amp setups and the separates are just more musical and involving.  The DAC is the wonderful Audio gd NFB12 that John was kind enough to send me, so it's sound is familiar to him.  John, I have to agree that the headphone amp in that unit is too etched and digital sounding.  It always sounds just somehow off, despite its excellent specs, a really powerful little sucker.  However is sounds fabulous as a stand alone DAC, so I kludged up the power amp section from a NAD 3020B through the headphone output which taps directly off the speaker outs, using the volume control on the Audio gd.  The result is as sweet, dynamic, and musical as any dedicated headphone amp I've heard.  Not sure how much help that gives your search, but you asked for the vote to be explained.  And in my little world separates rule.