Expensive or ripoff ?

Guy 13

Expensive or ripoff ?
« on: 5 Sep 2014, 01:29 am »

RDavidson

Re: Expensive or ripoff ?
« Reply #1 on: 5 Sep 2014, 01:41 am »
I can understand why some luxury items are expensive. These Chanel headphones, on the other hand, are just absurd.......but they'll DEFINITELY sell.

Guy 13

« Reply #2 on: 5 Sep 2014, 02:12 am »
Hi all.
There will always be some rich people to buy those (Expensive for us) 5,000 USD Channel headphones
or the same,
buying those expensive headphones confirm their statue of rich person and/or financially wealthy
and those rich person would sure not want to tell their rich friends that they paid only 350 USD for a pair of Sennheiser HD600 that would be (A shame)... Well you know.

Guy 13

brooklyn

« Reply #3 on: 5 Sep 2014, 03:10 am »
I say ripoff, for that kind of money I can get a top line headphone amp
(tube or solid state) and at least 3 exquisite great sounding pairs of
headphone and still have a little money left over to eat a McDonalds.. :D

dB Cooper

« Reply #4 on: 5 Sep 2014, 03:11 am »
There are a few rich idiots who will buy them. If I hit the lottery and had $5K I was willing to drop on 'phones, I'd buy either:

1) Stax SR-009, possibly because they are the only headphones dalethorn doesn't own (just kidding, Dale) and an amp, or...
2) Senn HD800's, Beyer T1's, and a pair of Shure SE846

Oh hell, who am I kidding, if I won the lottery I'd buy all of the above.

Sadly though, although the market will be small, it is unfortunately another indication of the growing "sell-the-sizzle-not-the-steak", fashion-statement, celebrity-endorsement trend that is polluting the headphone market. Glad I got my HD-650's before they get crowded off the market by some celebrity-logo'd P.O.S.

steve in jersey

« Reply #5 on: 5 Sep 2014, 04:34 am »
I hate to be a "Spoil Sport" guys, but this occurs with any retail item you van think of  !

This only becomes a "serious" problem when we get ripped off by paying for things we may not even want
or use.!

(Wait a minute ! We already do that ! It's called taxes )

Guy 13

« Reply #6 on: 5 Sep 2014, 05:01 am »

I hate to be a "Spoil Sport" guys, but this occurs with any retail item you van think of  !

This only becomes a "serious" problem when we get ripped off by paying for things we may not even want
or use.!

(Wait a minute ! We already do that ! It's called taxes )

That's a good one !
 :lol:

Guy 13

Wolfpack85

« Reply #7 on: 5 Sep 2014, 05:06 am »
I think they actually printed one too many zero's. That's a misprint, right? If not then straight ripoff. I wonder if people are really paying that much for cans.

Guy 13

« Reply #8 on: 5 Sep 2014, 05:16 am »
Hi all.
Of course when you have tons of money,
you can buy 5,000 USD headphones that probably sounds like a 500 USD headphones (???)
or you can even spend half a million dollars on a dinosaur head.
(Nicolas Cage) after all, it's their money,
they did not steal it (I hope so) and it's theirs.
But would it be better giving some to the needed (Like me, maybe)
but maybe, they already do that.
Well then, I will be quiet.

Guy 13

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right

Guy 13

« Reply #11 on: 21 Sep 2014, 07:50 am »
Hi all.
What's the catch ???
Only a rip off for suckers...

Guy 13

I cannot believe that there are still a lot of suckers that get caught by rip off like that.
Well, it's like they say:
There 's a sucker born every minute...

charmerci

« Reply #12 on: 21 Sep 2014, 10:53 am »
I think it's a typo error.

Photon46

« Reply #13 on: 21 Sep 2014, 01:25 pm »
You fellows may know audio but you don't know fashion!  :lol: I assure you $5k is the correct USA price for a set of Chanel headphones. These are over four thousand POUNDS in London stores. Cripes, Chanel charges $800-$1000 for a case to hold a tube of lipstick. It's absurdly easy to spend $30,000 for a designer handbag. The 1%'s have so much money to p*ss away on stuff like this it's hard for the rest of us to comprehend.

mcgsxr

« Reply #14 on: 21 Sep 2014, 01:34 pm »
Of course they are not a ripoff.  Anyone who pays for them will be pleased.  The point IS that they are expensive and all your frou frou friends will know that and be green with envy when they see you wearing them.

Many many luxury items out there in the world, and audio is far from the only area that this crops up.

High end watches (there are only so many producers of movements, and materials can only cost so much) etc.

Just wait for the Paris Hilton papparazi shots... and of course she will have hers comp'd.

mix4fix

• Volunteer
  • I reject your music, and substitute my own.
« Reply #15 on: 21 Sep 2014, 02:10 pm »
https://www.yahoo.com/style/5-000-chanel-headphones-give-beats-a-run-for-their-96635111708.html

People really need to quote the article. Because if the article goes away, you can't read it anymore.

I travel a lot so I have a routine. As soon as I am settled in my seat on the plane, the first thing that happens are the headphones come on. (Sorry seat mate.) My preferred headphones are my Bowers and Wilkins which set me back about $399. I will say that even by my standards that’s not cheap, but when you rely on them so much, it’s a worthy investment. (Especially when I’m listening to Ariana Grande’s new track.)

But when Beats debuted with their $1,200 state of the art headphones, that changed the game, thanks to Dr. Dre (and Apple). Now Karl Lagerfeld is giving them all a run for their money, partnering with the tech company Monster to create the state of the art sound with his signature quilting design and case. 

Last March at the Chanel show in Paris — which was a replica of a supermarket but amazingly stocked with every mock Chanel household item you could think of — I remember seeing the models coming down the runway with Chanel-chained shopping baskets and quilted headphones. Finally those headlines have landed and will be in stores mid September. But they will set you back nearly $5,000.

Will you play the price to listen?

Beats at $1200 are a rip-off because they are nothing but "bedazzled" $200 ones. Anything associated with Monster is a rip-off (Lagerfeld, Chanel, etc).

I'm not hating on the author for listening to little Miss Grande. I like certain Top40 songs as well. But, why invest in some good headphones and the most important song going to your ears is "Bang Bang"?

Beats headphones, and now Chanel, aren't for good sounding music: They are fashion.

Consider the compression ratio of music on portable music players and you'll understand what I'm saying. No headphone can make the music compressed at that ratio sound remotely close than  in its native format on a full-fledged "home" system.

All I'm saying is that if you want to be a sheep and throw your hard-earned money away, then go ahead if it makes you feel better about yourself. A fool and their money are soon parted.

Sums it up...

fmw

« Reply #16 on: 22 Sep 2014, 02:05 pm »
It seems advisable to me to spend less and get better sound.  I would be willing to bet that I would prefer to listen to my relatively modest HiFi Man cans than these.  I'm sure i will never find out.

Photon46

« Reply #17 on: 22 Sep 2014, 04:53 pm »
It seems advisable to me to spend less and get better sound.  I would be willing to bet that I would prefer to listen to my relatively modest HiFi Man cans than these.  I'm sure i will never find out.

I doubt anyone buying these gives a hoot about the sound. The Chanel branding and carrying case are why a woman will buy these. Figure $300 for the headphones, a thousand for the Chanel logo on the headphones, and $3700 for the quilted chanel carrying case. Just the thing for chillin' out in your first class suite round trip from Abu Dhabi to London on Etihad Air ($40,000.) :roll:

Noseyears

• Restricted
  • SS-Audio
    • Supreme Sound Audio
« Reply #18 on: 23 Sep 2014, 05:35 pm »
It's more a fashion accessory than a true audiophile headphone..rich kids with no idea of audio tend to buy this.

charmerci

« Reply #19 on: 23 Sep 2014, 06:22 pm »
At least these include shipping  ;|

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Philips-Lightweight-CUSHIONED-Pink-Comfortable-Adjustable-SWIVEL-HEADPHONEs-/160920220186?pt=US_Headphones&hash=item257797b21a

I wrote to them and this is their response:

We do not have this item in stock at the moment and that is why we have brought up the price. Once we receive out merchandise, [/size]we will return it to the original price. Thank you.