Vinyl, not bummed any more.

WireNut

Re: Vinyl, I’m bummed No more.
« Reply #120 on: 8 Feb 2013, 09:38 am »
 Neo and other members made me realize that my old stylus would damage by albums so I'll wait till my new cartridge comes in.
« Last Edit: 8 Feb 2013, 12:43 pm by WireNut »

simoon

Re: Vinyl, I’m bummed No more.
« Reply #121 on: 9 Feb 2013, 04:06 pm »
Yes, that's what I'm going to do. I'm very sorry if I offended anyone here, that was never my intention. I hate being so green on vinyl equipment. I'm learning a lot.
My sincere apologies.

Steve

Other than a couple of people that felt it was necessary to get on your case, there was no offense taken.

We've almost all been where you are. We've all gone through our growing pains. We've all made mistakes. Not very many of us have been able to spend $1000's on our first foray into vinyl.

Anything you are doing now is a learning experience. Whether you continue with vinyl, end up spending much more in the near future, or quitting vinyl playback all together, you are learning tons of info. Most of us would have zero knowledge of vinyl playback if we didn't start just where you are now.

doug s.

• makin' music
Re: Vinyl, not bummed any more.
« Reply #122 on: 9 Feb 2013, 04:13 pm »
if you are prudent and patient and willing to shop used, you should be able to find a complete winyl rig - turntable, cartridge, phono stage and interconnects - for $1k-$1.5k that will outperform any redbook rig at any price.

doug s.

pumpkinman

• A Kind Word Is an Easy Gift To Give
« Reply #123 on: 9 Feb 2013, 04:16 pm »
if you are prudent and patient and willing to shop used, you should be able to find a complete winyl rig - turntable, cartridge, phono stage and interconnects - for $1k-$1.5k that will outperform any redbook rig at any price.

doug s.

I couldn't agree more  :thumb: but then again I'm vinyl prejudice

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #124 on: 9 Feb 2013, 04:24 pm »
I couldn't agree more  :thumb: but then again I'm vinyl prejudice
i am not prejudiced, it's yust what my ears tell me...   8)

doug s.

pumpkinman

• A Kind Word Is an Easy Gift To Give
« Reply #125 on: 9 Feb 2013, 06:12 pm »
i am not prejudiced, it's yust what my ears tell me...   8)

doug s.
Speaking of myself no you

WireNut

« Reply #126 on: 10 Feb 2013, 02:47 am »
 Well, I just picked up a vintage Pioneer PL-117D table with a Stanton D61 cart and it sounds way better then what I started out with. I'm not sure why that is just yet, but the Pioneer is a lot heavier, belt driven and the Stanton cart sounds much smoother with better bass then the Shure I started out with. Things are definitely looking up.  :thumb:

MaxCast

« Reply #127 on: 10 Feb 2013, 03:03 am »
Be interesting to try the Stanton on the technics table.
That is what happened to me. Bought a used decent table with a bum needle and was  :roll:
Bought another used table with good set up and was  :o  then  :dance:
Couple more needles later and I'm happy.

wushuliu

« Reply #128 on: 10 Feb 2013, 03:14 am »
Well, I just picked up a vintage Pioneer PL-117D table with a Stanton D61 cart and it sounds way better then what I started out with. I'm not sure why that is just yet, but the Pioneer is a lot heavier, belt driven and the Stanton cart sounds much smoother with better bass then the Shure I started out with. Things are definitely looking up.  :thumb:

Test the Stanton on the Technics. This is assuming that you know the real condition of the D61 from a trusted seller. If not, it's still a risk to use it. An unknown used cart just should not be put to use because of potential damage to the records.

JackD

« Reply #129 on: 10 Feb 2013, 03:21 am »
The Stanton D61 is one of the designations for the Stanton 600 or the Pickering Phase IV cartridges.  There are still NOS styli available if you like the sound. 

WireNut

« Reply #130 on: 10 Feb 2013, 03:40 am »
The Stanton D61 is one of the designations for the Stanton 600 or the Pickering Phase IV cartridges.  There are still NOS styli available if you like the sound.

I'm liking the sound of the Stanton way better. I'm getting a new stylus for it Yesterday.

JackD

« Reply #131 on: 10 Feb 2013, 04:09 am »
This is the cheapest price I have found on a NOS Stanton 600/Pickering Phase IV stylus and I own one

http://www.thevoiceofmusic.com/catalog/part_detail.asp?PNumberBase=607&SearchType=MfgNameNeedles&MfgName=Pickering&Categories=

You want the 607-DEM

WireNut

« Reply #132 on: 10 Feb 2013, 05:06 am »
This is the cheapest price I have found on a NOS Stanton 600/Pickering Phase IV stylus and I own one

http://www.thevoiceofmusic.com/catalog/part_detail.asp?PNumberBase=607&SearchType=MfgNameNeedles&MfgName=Pickering&Categories=

You want the 607-DEM

JackD,

I'll order one right away.
The 607-DEM says it's for a manual TT.
The 607-DET says it's for an single play automatic TT which is what my Pioneer PL-117D is.
May be it doesn't matter ?

Steve

JackD

« Reply #133 on: 10 Feb 2013, 01:45 pm »
Slightly different compliance, but it doesn't really matter that much.  I don't think you could find a reference for the compliance figures for either though as most of the Pickering historical data is immposible to find.  I have used the 607-DEM on two different fully automatics and it is fine.  This is what the competition is selling it for when he has it.

http://www.turntableneedles.com/Needle-607-DEM_p_1204.html

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #134 on: 10 Feb 2013, 04:59 pm »
I'm liking the sound of the Stanton way better. I'm getting a new stylus for it Yesterday.

even if you are liking the sound of your stanton, i would consider a catridge upgrade sooner rather than later.  find a cartridge whose sound you like that has a fine-line/micro-ridge/etc type stylus.  it will offer lower noise, better tracking and less record wear than an elliptical stylus....

ymmv,

doug s.

trackball02

« Reply #135 on: 10 Feb 2013, 05:52 pm »
Wirenut, how much did the Pioneer PL-117D cost you? Did you need any repairs to get it going?