liliana questions

yetis

liliana questions
« on: 28 Nov 2013, 01:31 pm »
Hi,

Is there any update on timing for the balanced xlr version of these amps? Also, is it possible to get an extra set of binding posts, for a full bi-wire output.

And just any comments on how you decided on what class d amp design to use? As you move up the power band and given the warm reception the liiana have received, do you see the possible application of more powerful amp stages? I assume it is a battery capacity, but it sounds like this could be addressed.

On this last point, the review you posted amp shoot out suggested you could make a second battery pack. Does that assume that the Black Lightning would work with these amps? Would you be able to do that with multiple outputs, to support three amps?

Thanks and happy Thanksgiving
« Last Edit: 28 Nov 2013, 02:47 pm by yetis »

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.vinnierossi.com
Re: liliana questions
« Reply #1 on: 28 Nov 2013, 06:12 pm »
Hi Yetis,

Happy Thanksgiving!

Is there any update on timing for the balanced xlr version of these amps? Also, is it possible to get an extra set of binding posts, for a full bi-wire output.

I've explored this - just forgot to post about it.  I can make the Lilianas with XLR inputs currently without the tube stage. 
I'm pretty sure I can also configure the tube stage for differential use.  So if this is something that you require, please let me know
and I can configure this custom for you.

Yes - I can fit an extra set speaker posts in there for bi-wiring. 

And just any comments on how you decided on what class d amp design to use?

The Liliana uses a discrete Class AB MOSFET output stage (8 output stage FETs) - not class D. 
The tube input stage is Class A.

As you move up the power band and given the warm reception the liiana have received, do you see the possible application of more powerful amp stages? I assume it is a battery capacity, but it sounds like this could be addressed.

It's really not an issue of battery capacity.  Larger, higher voltage packs can be made.  It's more a question of "how many people would need more
power than the Lilianas?"  I'm guessing not many - and the other issue is more cost, and we'd probably need larger (e.g. Signature 57 sized) enclosures for each channel for higher power.

On this last point, the review you posted amp shoot out suggested you could make a second battery pack. Does that assume that the Black Lightning would work with these amps? Would you be able to do that with multiple outputs, to support three amps?

The Liliana's get up to 8 hours of playback on a full charge (running in pure battery mode).  Of course one can play and charge in "AC mode" with no time limit for background listening.  But if a customer needed more play time in pure battery mode, we can made an external "Black Lightning like" enclosure that would fit higher capacity batteries.  It would be custom, but it can be done.   

Thanks for all the good questions!

Vinnie

yetis

« Reply #2 on: 29 Nov 2013, 09:39 pm »
Vinni,

Thank you for the detailed response. I apologize for the gaff on class D, not sure how I got that into my head.

On the xlr input, I would imagine that the removal of the tube preamp would impact the character of the amp a fair bit? I certainly would not want a comprised product.

My question on the black lighting is more one of convenience, as all I would need is one wall connection, with the three amps all connected to the power pack. The up shot is longer battery play time.

Do you suggest any surge protection or AC processing in front of the battery units?

Thanks

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.vinnierossi.com
« Reply #3 on: 30 Nov 2013, 09:56 pm »
Vinni,

Thank you for the detailed response. I apologize for the gaff on class D, not sure how I got that into my head.

On the xlr input, I would imagine that the removal of the tube preamp would impact the character of the amp a fair bit? I certainly would not want a comprised product.

My question on the black lighting is more one of convenience, as all I would need is one wall connection, with the three amps all connected to the power pack. The up shot is longer battery play time.

Do you suggest any surge protection or AC processing in front of the battery units?

Thanks

Hi Yetis,

Instead of going with a larger Black Lightning to put the batteries, I can offer you 1 larger charger (it would be more like a lpower supply unit with the charger cables connected, with a 60V output that is current limited for charging the batteries, and diodes on each charger cable) that would take the place of the three smaller chargers.

This way, you still have separate battery supplies in each Monoblock (so they are isolated). 

This is a better solution IMO!

As for the XLR input and using the tube stage, I would need to test this but I think I can make it work.

When the time comes, feel free to email me....

Vinnie