What speakers did you replace?

jsalk

What speakers did you replace?
« on: 23 Apr 2007, 12:01 am »
Perhaps those of you who own our speakers can help me out.

Most everyone who explores the purchase of our speakers asks a similar question:  How does your speaker compare to speaker X or speaker Y?

The problem is, I have not heard many of the speakers in question and certainly haven't spent enough time with those I have to form a fair impression. And rarely have I ever done A/B comparisons. But most owners of our speakers purchased them to replace their current pair and are in a good position to spell out the sonic differences.

If you would be so kind as to compare and contrast the sound of the speakers we built for you to other speakers you have owned or spent considerable time with, it would be extremely valuable to those looking for comparisons.  And it would certainly cut down on the number of times I am asked to asnwer the same basic question.

Thanks, in advance, for your responses.  If we get enough of them, perhaps zybar can make this thread a "sticky."

- Jim

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
Re: What speakers did you replace?
« Reply #1 on: 23 Apr 2007, 12:02 am »
It is now a sticky.

Great idea Jim.

George

audiotom

• Ground control to Major Tom
    • for everything music
« Reply #2 on: 23 Apr 2007, 01:09 pm »
salk HT3's replaced Von Schweikert Vortex Screens

The VS have a magical disappearing aspect in the room and great imaging
The Salks have those same qualities but even more so. The VS had some grain in the treble end and not quite the resolution and tonal perfection of the HT3. 

I also evaluated VS 4 Gen III - very nice speaker - now pricey and sounded hifi ish compared to the SAlk.

I also demoed some JMLABS in my setup at home and they were similar to my screens but a little dry in the mid range and $4k (you could hear some cabinet colorations) Didn't do enough to justify the move up

I sent the screens on to a friend and he loves them

I bought the Salk sight unseen and it's been a torid romance ever since

edman

« Reply #3 on: 23 Apr 2007, 03:26 pm »
I own a pair of HT3's and the speakers they replaced were a pair of Von Schweikert VR4 jr's and a pair of Tyler Acoustics Linbrook 2's.
I had all three to ABC with at the same time. My comparisons were from actual side by side listening.
I have owned Martin Logan's, Magnepan's, ProAc's (big and small) and the Salk's make it very hard to stop listening to music that you actually become part of ... that never happened with the others.
I have my HT3's mated with a Simaudio I-7 integrated amplifier and the combination is hard to beat ....
After 35+ years of chasing 'the perfect tune' I have finally caught it thanks to Jim.
Owning a pair of HT3's is like the commercial where they want a house built around a faucet ... now, I want a house built around my Salk HT3's.

nicksgem10s

« Reply #4 on: 27 Apr 2007, 02:48 pm »
I am going to tell you that my new HT3 speakers have replaced all the speakers I have owned because they are significantly better IMHO than anything I have had in my system.

They most recently replaced a pair of Reference 3A Royal Master Series II monitors that I had paired with a Martin Logan Depth subwoofer.  This was a fantastic combination and one of my favorite sounding speakers but they have found a new happy home.

I have owned the following speakers over the last 3 years:

B&W 601s3
Von Schweikert VR-1
Coincident Total Eclipse (LCR monitors) with Martin Logan Grotto sub
Coincident Super Eclipse series II
Von Schweikert VR4 Gen III HSE
Consonance Eric Grand
Reference 3A Royal Master series II with Martin Logan Depth sub

I have also listened extensively to many other speakers at a number of audio shops, other friends systems, and a couple of local audio shows.

Jim has built a speaker that does everything I have been looking for this entire time.  I did not know what I was trying to accomplish previously when I would buy a new pair of speakers and start trying all different types of cables.  I was taking a scattergun type of approach and just hoped I would be satisfied.

Now that I have the HT3 in my listening room I am in awe everytime I turn the system on and put on some music.

In one word they are musical.  I am not an audio reviewer so I won't get into exotic descriptions of the sound but they are very special.

For the first time since I got into this hobby I am really not wondering how much better another pair of speakers could sound.  I am listening to music.

I have been buying more new music now than I have in years and loving every minute of it.  If that doesn't sum up how good the HT3 speakers are I don't know what else to say. 

If you haven't heard these make an effort to hear them.  You may very well quit listening to gear and start listening to music.  That is what attracted me to high end audio in the first place.

THANK YOU JIM!      :thumb:

95bcwh

« Reply #5 on: 27 Apr 2007, 03:36 pm »
Salk HT3 is my first speakers, I bought it based on recommendation on this forum and never regretted it! Over the last two years I have auditioned stereo systems up to half a million mark. Some of the speakers I've listened to extensively are:
- JM-Lab 1027Be, JM-Lab Micro Utopia, JM-Lab Alto Utopia
- Paradigm Signature 8
- Legacy Focus 20/20
- Wilson Audio Watt Puppy 8
- MBL 101E
- Aerial Acoustic Model 7B, Model 9
- Vandersteen 5A
- Acapella Violon MK III
- B&W 802D, 800
- Dali Euphonia MS5, Helicon 800

In most cases, after listening to these speakers, I came out of the room with a smile on my face, because most of them were not able to make me feel like I want to sell my HT3.

With one exception - the Acapella speakers with their plasma tweeter really galvanizing my ears like no other speakers does. The more I listen to it, the more I appreciate its beauty. However, it's $50k/pair, the price is beyond me - thank God. :wink:

Brucemck

« Reply #6 on: 27 Apr 2007, 11:04 pm »
In my system Salk HT2s replaced Krell LAT 1s and also Tyler Linbrook Supertowers

The HT2s have the "lack of compression" of the Krell's ... an ability to handle transients and "snap" that's pretty remarkable.  I found the LAT 1s a bit "hard" to listen to over extended periods of time, not unlike most ultra high powered solid state amps, something the HT2 ameliorated.  It's remarkable that they compare so favorably to $30k+ speakers.

The HT2s have the superb imaging and imgage sizing of the Linbrooks, with more precision.  The Linbrooks are really nice, but a bit too "laid back" and "lush".  The Supertowers are a bit like a SET amp: intrigue at first meet, but lacking over time in power and snap.  I've since moved those to my less critical bedroom setup, and they're performing really nicely.

The woodwork and finish on the HT2s are amazing, and put both of the speakers above to shame.
« Last Edit: 28 Apr 2007, 01:45 pm by Brucemck »

craigamrine

« Reply #7 on: 10 May 2007, 03:01 pm »
Prior to my current Babinga HT1's (only sounding better, by the way), I owned a pair of ACI Saphhire III LE's.  While they were a wonderful speaker, they were a bit too "polite" and lacked the upper air detail and sense of live presence that the HT1's have.   They are coupled with modest 8" subwoofer and used exclusively for stereo music listening.  I had the luxury to have both in my condo for a bit, and doing A/B comparisons with them was very revealing of the differences.

-craig

Philistine

« Reply #8 on: 14 May 2007, 06:58 pm »
My HT3's replaced a pair of B&W 803's.
As a Brit I grew up with the B&W house sound, the 803's being my 3rd pair of B&W's.

Before taking the plunge I listened to the HT3's at a local owners house, read the FVA thread on his search for a replacement for B&W's and dropped by Jim's house one very cold February morning for a demo.  As Jim has the HT3's dialed in sound wise most of the recent posts on this site are related to how nice the woodwork is and less so about how good they sound, I needed to take a critical listen.

Down to the detail:
I love clean, tight, fast and articulate bass - the HT3's excel, vocals (male and female) are very natural, and they are more detailed and less bright than my old B&W's.  Overall the HT3's are more musical and natural in their overall presentation, they're just more fun to listen to.  I would encourage any B&W owners to try out Jim's HT3's.  Or if you want to stick with B&W's I can sell you my REL sub (surplus to requirements)!   

craigamrine

« Reply #9 on: 8 Nov 2007, 10:51 pm »
My completely amazing HT1's that I bought from Jim were replacing a pair of ACI Sapphire III LE's that I owned for about 3-4 years. 

The ACI's were a beautiful speaker in their own right.  But for me, they lacked that stratospheric-level of upper end detail that the HT1's can give.  I brought a few friends over to A/B them.  It was a lot of fun to compare/contrast the differences between the two speakers. 

Obviously, no regrets with the switch :)

-Craig

craigamrine

« Reply #10 on: 9 Nov 2007, 02:34 pm »
Oops!  Dain-brammage setting in!  Looks I already replied to this poll several months ago.  Damn.  I'm losing it.
No more drinking before breakfast!

-Craig

jjgasp

« Reply #11 on: 28 Mar 2008, 05:56 am »
Replaced Dali Euphonias (MS-5s, CS-4, RS-3s) with HT3s, HTC, and HT1s, and have absolutely no regrets, other than wishing I had saved myself the trouble and purchased the Salks first.

Nuance

« Reply #12 on: 18 Apr 2008, 02:15 pm »
I have a pair of Santos Rosewood Song Tower's on order and they will replace a pair of Onix Rocket 850's.  The Rocket's will be used for HT and the Salk's for 2-channel (or 2.1 channel rather).

The Salk's excel over the Rocket's at everything but specifically the midrange lushness and detail.  The tweeter on the Rocket's can also be a tad bright, but the high frequencies of the Salk's is "just right," revealing every detail with an absolute airy smoothness without fatigue. 

birdliver

« Reply #13 on: 19 Apr 2008, 07:42 am »
I have a pair of Santos Rosewood Song Tower's on order and they will replace a pair of Onix Rocket 850's.  The Rocket's will be used for HT and the Salk's for 2-channel (or 2.1 channel rather).

The Salk's excel over the Rocket's at everything but specifically the midrange lushness and detail.  The tweeter on the Rocket's can also be a tad bright, but the high frequencies of the Salk's is "just right," revealing every detail with an absolute airy smoothness without fatigue. 

Hi Nuance,
After spending many long hours over the last several months reviewing information on speaker choices, I, too, recently ordered a pair of SongTowers and a SongCenter and will very soon add SongSurrounds to my order. Your post is of great interest to me because my very short list also included Rocket 850s and they came quite close to being my choice. Knowing that I would not get the opportunity to audition the two choices It finally became clear to me that the Songtowers were the ones to order. My decision was based on all the positive customer feedback on the ST's peformance but just as importantly everyone's total satisfaction in dealing with Jim's organization and the obvious esteem in which they held both Jim and Dennis Murphy and the Salk organization. I still haven't heard the SongTowers but the positive feedback from current and new owners and your post in particular continue to convince me that my decision was the right one. It now seems like the clock has slowed to a crawl but reports like yours help with the waiting so it's really no big deal, because I couldn't be happier with my choice, so thanks for feedback. -birdliver

Bill@LakeGeorge

« Reply #14 on: 19 Apr 2008, 01:52 pm »
My path to the HT3's and center was Swans 6.1 and center to Onix Ref 2 and center to GR Reaserch mods to the Ref's to the Salks.  The AV123 speakers don't belong in the same room with Salks both sq and beauty.

AliG

« Reply #15 on: 19 Apr 2008, 02:58 pm »
The song tower is as good as the $8000 ProAc D38 speakers.. go figure.. aa aa aa

mike1964

« Reply #16 on: 19 Apr 2008, 03:32 pm »
I'm stepping up to SongTowers from a pair of zHorns (Fostex single-driver back-loaded horn), which I'm moving into my office system. 

Nuance

« Reply #17 on: 11 May 2008, 05:15 am »

Hi Nuance,
After spending many long hours over the last several months reviewing information on speaker choices, I, too, recently ordered a pair of SongTowers and a SongCenter and will very soon add SongSurrounds to my order. Your post is of great interest to me because my very short list also included Rocket 850s and they came quite close to being my choice. Knowing that I would not get the opportunity to audition the two choices It finally became clear to me that the Songtowers were the ones to order. My decision was based on all the positive customer feedback on the ST's peformance but just as importantly everyone's total satisfaction in dealing with Jim's organization and the obvious esteem in which they held both Jim and Dennis Murphy and the Salk organization. I still haven't heard the SongTowers but the positive feedback from current and new owners and your post in particular continue to convince me that my decision was the right one. It now seems like the clock has slowed to a crawl but reports like yours help with the waiting so it's really no big deal, because I couldn't be happier with my choice, so thanks for feedback. -birdliver
I am happy to have helped.  Congrats on your purchase!

thomas_d92

« Reply #18 on: 11 May 2008, 05:10 pm »
I just upgraded my fronts from Swan Diva 6.1 to Salk HT2. Next will be a Salk center channel to match the HT2's.

oneinthepipe

• Trainee
    • Salk Signature Sound/Audio by Van Alstine two-channel system
« Reply #19 on: 22 Sep 2008, 05:58 am »
My SongTowers are on order.  Although I took a 10 year hiatus from audio (no, I wasn't in prison; my kids were small and liked to demolish things), over the past thirty five years, I have had numerous speakers, perhaps even more than some dealers, since my father was in the audio service business.  The SongTowers will replace my every day speakers, a pair of Spendor S3/5, that are the backup speakers for my KEF 101 Reference Series, which I don't play very often.  I have a small room and listen close to nearfield, and the Spendors are O.K., although not as crystal clear as the KEF.  I was fairly happy with the Spendors until I bought my new AVA gear, and then the Spendors' limitations became more apparent (and the attributes of the KEF 101, in comparison to the Spendors, became more apparent, too).

I've been pouring over the Salk reviews, and initially intended to purchase the HT-3, but the SongTower will arguably be easier to configure in my small listening room.  Obviously, I can't yet compare the Spendor and the SongTowers, although I expect the SongTowers to have a deeper, well-defined low end. I am not a fan of booming, sloopy bass, where the instruments or notes are indistinguishable and every low note sounds like a thump, and I have previously avoided changing speakers or adding subwoofers.  However, the reviews of the SongTower praise it's bass response, and I am expecting great sound, all around.