What's the best MC cartridge for less than 2k?

matthewpartrick

• vinnierossiforum.com
    • The Clueless Audiophile
What's the best MC cartridge for less than 2k?
« on: 23 Aug 2017, 02:14 pm »
Self explanatory. Any help appreciated!

Maceo23

Re: What's the best MC cartridge for less than 2k?
« Reply #1 on: 23 Aug 2017, 03:26 pm »
I just put a Linn Krystal on my turntable.  It's amazing.  Nothing I have used has come close to it.

galyons

« Reply #2 on: 23 Aug 2017, 04:07 pm »
Self explanatory. Any help appreciated!

One that matches your amplification, table and tonearm, then your musical tastes.  Actually want some help?  Then provide enough valid information to make that possible.  Otherwise...."How long is a piece of string?"

Cheers,
Geary

glynnw

• I have tin ears.
« Reply #3 on: 23 Aug 2017, 04:47 pm »
Come on - we all know that a piece of string is 8 inches long.

matthewpartrick

• vinnierossiforum.com
« Reply #4 on: 25 Aug 2017, 12:11 am »
One that matches your amplification, table and tonearm, then your musical tastes.  Actually want some help?  Then provide enough valid information to make that possible.  Otherwise...."How long is a piece of string?"

Cheers,
Geary

It will be going on an Acoustic Signature Wow XL with their TA 1000 tone arm. 

As for listening tastes, it would be easier to list what I don't listen to: rap and manufactured commercial pop.  Otherwise I listen to pretty much everything, perhaps guitar heavy but genre goes from rock to jazz to folk to country, spacegrass, etc.  The Roon breakdown is very heavy on Rock and Jazz.

Have I provided enough valid information?

matthewpartrick

• vinnierossiforum.com
« Reply #5 on: 25 Aug 2017, 12:11 am »
I just put a Linn Krystal on my turntable.  It's amazing.  Nothing I have used has come close to it.

Wasn't familiar, will take a look.  Thanks!

twitch54

« Reply #6 on: 25 Aug 2017, 12:18 am »
simple answer to your question ........... there is NO 'best'  !

myself, I'm a Benz Micro guy ......

galyons

« Reply #7 on: 25 Aug 2017, 12:56 am »

Have I provided enough valid information?

Unfortunately, no.  Playing vinyl requires a system in which components are correctly matched.  Not possible to credibly offer suggestions without the system information.  There are just too many iterations.  Perhaps spending some time learning what is required in a vinyl playback system would be a good starting point.  Then you could narrow down the possibilities and get some valid recommendations.

Taking "recommendations" from someone that does not ask the basic questions is foolhardy.  Likely they have little understanding of what they have or why they like it.  Again, since we are talking analog, an analogy..."What are the best tires for my vehicle under $2000?"

Cheers,
Geary

matthewpartrick

• vinnierossiforum.com
« Reply #8 on: 25 Aug 2017, 03:34 am »
Unfortunately, no.  Playing vinyl requires a system in which components are correctly matched.  Not possible to credibly offer suggestions without the system information.  There are just too many iterations.  Perhaps spending some time learning what is required in a vinyl playback system would be a good starting point.  Then you could narrow down the possibilities and get some valid recommendations.

Taking "recommendations" from someone that does not ask the basic questions is foolhardy.  Likely they have little understanding of what they have or why they like it.  Again, since we are talking analog, an analogy..."What are the best tires for my vehicle under $2000?"

Cheers,
Geary

I appreciate your honesty, since I'm a vinyl neophyte.  That said, I was brought up with turntables since my brothers and sisters were teenagers in the 70s when I was a toddler (hence the fascination with 70s music.)

Thanks for the help.  I'm leaning towards an Ortofon MC that comes in a nice package from Needle Doctor.  I've got plenty of time to save up for some crazy expensive cartridge.  80% of my media is digitial anyway, and the analog is the stuff I like to listen to in its entirety.

THx again
Matthew

jarcher

• Industry Participant
  • It Just Sounds Right
« Reply #9 on: 25 Aug 2017, 01:43 pm »
An ortofon cadenza is always a good choice, though myself I'd probably go with a Benz Micro Wood. You can get 10% off with the trade in of any cartridge.

Minn Mark

« Reply #10 on: 25 Aug 2017, 06:37 pm »
Been using a HOMC version Sumiko Blackbird for a long time. No complaints, far less than $2K and now available in a LOMC version.

Cheers,

Mark

Elizabeth

• So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
« Reply #11 on: 25 Aug 2017, 07:03 pm »
I have to agree with the folks saying not possible to say 'what is best'.
Depends on what you like as far as tone, etc too.
If you want clarity above all else?
Or, you like a nice full midrange
You want the bass to have 'punch'.

Then 'how much gain'? Does you phono have enough gain for a low MC? or do you want a high output MC?

Also, making sure the tonearm and cart match well

The question is the sort to ask a DEALER.
Or the person who sold you the TT.

sebrof

« Reply #12 on: 26 Aug 2017, 01:49 pm »
Whenever I see someone asking for Best of anything I think he's simply looking for some leads to go check out.

I run an Audio Technica ART-9 LOMC. I like it for the $1,000 I paid but can't compare to anything else except a lower priced Ortofon I had before it.

matthewpartrick

• vinnierossiforum.com
« Reply #13 on: 27 Aug 2017, 11:59 am »
The TT is an Acoustic Signature XXL with the 1000 tonearm, through needle doctor.  The phonostage is a Vinnie Rossi LIO for MM/MC and remote cartridge loading.  I was ready to spend more but the very helpful rep redommended a Hana SL with head shell, very favorably reviewed by Scot Hull at Parttime Audiophile. 

I'll let you know how it works out when I spin some prog rock after moving the the new house.  Thanks for the advice kids.

bacobits1

« Reply #14 on: 27 Aug 2017, 01:02 pm »
I was going to check into the Hana too eventually.

I think the better question is what do people "like" for less than 2K?
What's best never works out.

I believe you don't have to spend anywhere near that kind of money.
Over priced example is a Dynavector 10X5 for $650 now. That is no way a $650 Cart. It was always $350 and that is where it should sit. For $300 more you can have the higher offering Dynavector 20X2.

Hope the Hana sounds great and comment later.
« Last Edit: 28 Aug 2017, 12:21 pm by bacobits1 »

Elizabeth

• So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
« Reply #15 on: 27 Aug 2017, 04:34 pm »
Well, aside from right or best.. My favorite cartridge is an old Dynavector Ruby 23 I still have.
(it was thirty years old when it was given to me)
Second is a Dynavector 17D3

I used to like my Benz Glider. But the suspension? seems to have hardened, and now the Glider sound lean.. (I weep)

The Dynavector Ruby 23 is FORTY YEARS OLD.. and still plays great.

paul79

• Industry Participant
« Reply #16 on: 27 Aug 2017, 05:38 pm »
I would call and ask for Chad Stelly at Acoustic Sounds. He is one of the few that actually get it IMO. Otherwise, a HANA Shibata might be the most cartridge out there for the money. I would strongly recommend trying this one before plunking $2K.

bajaed

« Reply #17 on: 27 Aug 2017, 07:35 pm »
I've had my 10X5 for several years and love it but I paid a lot less than they go for now. It still sounds great so it's hard to justify an upgrade yet but tempting.

I was told the Hanah EL or EH would be a lateral move from the 10X5, but the SL or SH would be a significant step up.

matthewpartrick

• vinnierossiforum.com
« Reply #18 on: 27 Aug 2017, 08:18 pm »
I would call and ask for Chad Stelly at Acoustic Sounds. He is one of the few that actually get it IMO. Otherwise, a HANA Shibata might be the most cartridge out there for the money. I would strongly recommend trying this one before plunking $2K.

That's what I ended up going for --will keep you posted.

Tarzan

• Virtue Audio Fanboy
« Reply #19 on: 28 Aug 2017, 09:40 am »
That's what I ended up going for --will keep you posted.

Yes please do.