Need advice for Bryston BIT / Torus model.

zoom25

Need advice for Bryston BIT / Torus model.
« on: 15 Aug 2017, 06:25 am »
I'm thinking of purchasing a Bryston/Torus. In this particular desktop setup, I have 15A line and use Hubbell HBL 5262 receptacles.

I was wondering how the BIT 15 (1800 watts) would be able to handle the following:

1) Bryston BDP-1 - I think this consumes around 10 watts (please feel free to correct)

2) Teradak 12V13A linear power supply (which I use for my DAC - Dangerous Source): 200 Watts? http://www.teradak.com/products/66.html

3) Amphion Amp 100: Class D -> 2 x 100 watts (http://www.amphion.fi/en/create/products/amp100/) that power Amphion One15. I'm typically in the 60-80 db range. I wanted to be sure that there would be enough headroom during the transients.

4) Late 2009 Core 2 Duo iMac - According to Apple the CPU Max consumption is 365W.

5) *** Teradak DC-30W - (http://www.teradak.com/products/65.html) Thinking of adding this to power a USB hub for portable drives and possibly the upcoming Bryston Wifi Dongle adapter. I want to get rid of the SMPS here that's 5V 2A.

6) *** I might add a dedicated headphone amplifier like BHA-1 later (50 Watts) and a separate preamp (BP26+BDA combo or BP17 cubed). I don't think these should be that heavy in power consumption.

TOTAL: 800-900W so far at majority of time.

These are the only things that will always be plugged in and ON. I might occasionally power a 40" TV and PS3 occasionally for casual use along with other things, but I won't be concerned about performance at those times. Although, if it can power all these on and still have headroom left, that'd be great.

I was mainly worried about the Amphion Amp 100 and the iMac. Maybe even the Teradak 12V13A LPS. Although, it doesn't need anything close to its max since it's only powering a DAC.

_________

Aside from power requirements, I have already made changes to move away from switching to LPS for devices. The only dirty equipment I can think of is the iMac. I hope the iMac won't negatively affect other gear?

Also, what if I had used a BIT20 on my 15A lines. Any benefit sonically in my case, aside from future proofing when on 20A line?

Thanks!

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
Re: Need advice for Bryston BIT / Torus model.
« Reply #1 on: 15 Aug 2017, 10:22 am »
Hi Zoom

The BIT 15 would be fine with the above equipment.  The large power amps are really the only concern with the BIT 15 as most source gear draws very little current. 

Also the BIT 20 would be fine as well and may give you some flexibility in the future if you decide to add more gear to that setup.

james

zoom25

« Reply #2 on: 15 Aug 2017, 05:26 pm »
Thanks, James. I bought a used Torus IS 15. Will get it in a few days. I suppose it's a good way of testing this thing out before going for the 20 for the main system. I really wanted the Bryston panel though.

I was wondering if it was possible to add the surge protection or the AVR features in the future to these models or will the circuitry not allow? Thanks.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #3 on: 15 Aug 2017, 06:40 pm »
Thanks, James. I bought a used Torus IS 15. Will get it in a few days. I suppose it's a good way of testing this thing out before going for the 20 for the main system. I really wanted the Bryston panel though.

I was wondering if it was possible to add the surge protection or the AVR features in the future to these models or will the circuitry not allow? Thanks.

Hi Zoom

No I am sorry they can not be added later.

james

zoom25

« Reply #4 on: 15 Aug 2017, 06:48 pm »
Hi Zoom

No I am sorry they can not be added later.

james

Ok, no problem. Another thing I was wondering about looking at my rack was that I would have to make adjustments and space for the new unit. It will get it's own shelf without any stacking below or on top. How much clearance is advised from the top of the Torus plate to the top of the wood shelf above?

I have a similar sized 2U high Amphion amp and I get about an inch +/- of clearance. Will recheck when I put the rig together later this month. Should I be worried about this spacing or should I move the Torus to an open location?

srb

« Reply #5 on: 15 Aug 2017, 06:58 pm »
How much clearance is advised from the top of the Torus plate to the top of the wood shelf above?

Torus IS Series Manual
Placement & Ventilation - Page 2

"PIUs have ventilation slots on the base, side panels and on the cover.  Maintain at least 1” distance from each of these surfaces to anything else.  Should your installation conditions be constricted, additional forced air-cooling may be necessary.

Do not install the unit directly above heat generating equipment.  Maintain at least 6” behind the PIU for adequate wiring space."

zoom25

« Reply #6 on: 15 Aug 2017, 07:14 pm »
Torus IS Series Manual
Placement & Ventilation - Page 2

"PIUs have ventilation slots on the base, side panels and on the cover.  Maintain at least 1” distance from each of these surfaces to anything else.  Should your installation conditions be constricted, additional forced air-cooling may be necessary.

Do not install the unit directly above heat generating equipment.  Maintain at least 6” behind the PIU for adequate wiring space."

Thanks!

zoom25

« Reply #7 on: 23 Aug 2017, 03:52 am »
Got the Torus today. Good stuff.  :thumb:

zoom25

« Reply #8 on: 28 Aug 2017, 07:34 am »
James, I know you recommend generic power cables. Within the generic ones, do you recommend shielded or unshielded (assuming same gauge) for different gear like amps, DACs, pre, BDP, or isolation transformers?