Pure Audio Project Trio 15

jparkhur

Re: Pure Audio Project Trio 15
« Reply #20 on: 21 Aug 2017, 09:11 pm »
So I am it this project for about 1k, more with drivers and amps, I could save money and go with the none neo woofers but others have stated the sound better.  I will take some time this week and break them in and change out with the TB driver as well.  My only comparison will be GR Research servo subs and ob TB driver.  Those subs are really tough to beat so I'll let you know.
« Last Edit: 25 Aug 2017, 03:29 pm by jparkhur »

jparkhur

« Reply #21 on: 21 Aug 2017, 11:52 pm »
Currently xo  at 200 hz with a 12 db roll off and no baffle step yet.  I'll let them burn in but things sound promising so far. 

jparkhur

« Reply #22 on: 22 Aug 2017, 11:13 pm »
I have been experimenting with the xo and continue to like 200 with a 12 db roll.  I have 25 watts going to woofers and 5 to full range.  It is more than enough to play them loud.  I have put a small rake on  the back by removing one of the footers. Seems to help over all imaging since my ear height was a little low and my chair not so much.  They have been running for almost 48 hours and seem to be smoothing out as time goes on. I have played everything from Adele, Social Distortion, opera, Jazz, The Dead to NIN- all souls really good. I have ordered measuring equipment and will post graphs when done.

MJK

• Quarter Wavelength Loudspeaker Design
« Reply #23 on: 23 Aug 2017, 12:00 am »
Currently xo  at 200 hz with a 12 db roll off and no baffle step yet.  I'll let them burn in but things sound promising so far.

There is no baffle step in an OB speaker system. You do not need a correction filter.

jparkhur

« Reply #24 on: 23 Aug 2017, 12:03 am »
Thanks and that may be why I like the way it sounds without it engaged.   My lack of knowledge.     I am dangerous to a point and then drop off.   Ha. I figured in my head that it would still have some gain on the wider pieces coming around back.

Thanks again.

jparkhur

« Reply #25 on: 23 Aug 2017, 12:07 am »
This was in my head

MJK

• Quarter Wavelength Loudspeaker Design
« Reply #26 on: 23 Aug 2017, 12:34 am »
Those instructions are intended for a boxed speaker. The discussion does not apply to an OB where the rear wave is not captured in a box.

nicoch

« Reply #27 on: 23 Aug 2017, 05:38 am »
nice to see you again MKJ

jparkhur

« Reply #28 on: 23 Aug 2017, 03:28 pm »
I did engage the shelving circuit to take care of the rise in the top end. I used 2500 and -4 db. We will see what comes if it.  Here is a extremely basic graph at 1 meter between bottom driver and fr.  I'll get a real mic tomorrow.

This is the spec graph

jparkhur

« Reply #29 on: 25 Aug 2017, 03:10 pm »
Ok. I'm pretty much set after a few adjustments in gain over the lower end and some minor tweaking of a toe in.  I'm really happy with these. They are super easy to make with limited skills and putting them together only requires a drill.

Over all sound quality is great for my ears.  You can always switch out the mid panel for a ribbon or high end driver. The diy portion of this is really high and gives users some up grade ability in the future.

If you wanted to make a poor man version you could buy a Dayton PS 220, Eminence Alpha a15, Yung page amp and have the entire thing running for $500 or so.  Even cheaper would be to only use one 15 sub on each side. 

Issues, there are some when comparing to other speakers I have had.  Nothing will touch much ears like. Neo 3 tweeted, just great. The full range is. It going to be as smooth at the top.  Trade offs. The lower end is good but it won't go low 20 s compared
To the servo subs I have on hand.  There is chest thumping bass but they are different. To each his own.

Imaging is good but I suspect some odd axis roll on this driver and to me I don't care because I always have the seat.  They are great for larger rooms and I love ob speakers, there is just something about the openness.

Current system used:
Mac Mini, 16 gb ram, 8 tb external
iTunes and other pro software music systems
Pi Audio USB cable
IFi iDac2
iFi iTube2
Tourtuga Audio pre w/ external linear ps (thanks Trung)
Firstwatt B5 xo
Amp Camp Amp 1 with extra power filtering by Pi Audio
Firstwatt F5 diy for subs / Yung 200 plate amps (using both)

As will most of my builds I just wanted to see what I could do. On to the next one.  I hear some people here are releasing some new build so looking forward to those. If anyone wants these, let me know.