How to get plinths straight?

billmcc

Re: How to get plinths straight?
« Reply #20 on: 27 Mar 2017, 09:29 pm »
Placing the speakers on their tops sounds like a good idea. Although I doubt I'd try it by myself as the chance of the speaker tipping over and getting damaged would be a concern.

Bill

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #21 on: 28 Mar 2017, 01:03 am »
Carefully lay the speaker on a hard floor face up, propping up the bottom on a book (or whatever would be a rigid substitute) of the correct thickness so that the plinth is perfectly aligned and spaced when sitting on the floor.

But still don't understand why they don't align properly to start with.  Aren't the plinth and speakers pre-drilled?

billmcc

« Reply #22 on: 28 Mar 2017, 03:08 am »
Carefully lay the speaker on a hard floor face up, propping up the bottom on a book (or whatever would be a rigid substitute) of the correct thickness so that the plinth is perfectly aligned and spaced when sitting on the floor.

But still don't understand why they don't align properly to start with.  Aren't the plinth and speakers pre-drilled?
No way I'm placing any of my Salk speakers on a hard floor. Too much of a chance of damaging the speaker. You also have to be careful that the binding posts don't get damaged. I always put the plinths on with the speakers on a rug with soft towels under the speakers with pillows propping up the bottom. The plinths and the speakers are predrilled. But the hole openings in the plinths have enough clearance so they can be off when applied.
« Last Edit: 28 Mar 2017, 04:08 am by billmcc »