SS8' to monitor, which one?

yetis

SS8' to monitor, which one?
« on: 7 Mar 2017, 11:32 am »
So I have owned my SS8's since launch.  While they have seen limited use since purchase, I love them when I find time to let them sing.  Which isn't often as I have little kids and live in a high rise.  I am moving this week and the layout of the new pad isn't loving SS8's. The form factor of the SS8's isn't fitting.  Which got me to thinking I might want to swap out the floor standing speakers for something with a smaller footprint and can be turned up a bit more, later in the evening.  Ideally, they would pair well with the SS7 center channel I also own. I know down the line, the system willl need a subwoofer. But for now, I will make due with a limited lower end.  So the question is, which one?

I would note that the SS8 width is far wider than 10", give the base.

Thank you

Big Red Machine

Re: SS8' to monitor, which one?
« Reply #1 on: 7 Mar 2017, 12:13 pm »
Cabinet is 10.5" wide.
You don't need a subwoofer. You'd be surprised how low some of Jim's bookshelf speakers play. Besides, late at night is not the time to kick in the sub, is it?

I personally am in love with the WOW1's - small and sweet. The Silks and Exoticas are different from one another and give you choices but start to cost more bucks and both play exceptionally well as they should. The 7M monitors cost between the 2 later speakers and would be a direct match for the SS7 I believe.

Don't overlook the Powerplays but that does not match your SS7. Super convenient and very surprising performance for the money. Wowed a bunch of folks at Axpona in the big room.

srb

« Reply #2 on: 7 Mar 2017, 01:45 pm »
The SongSurround Supercharged has the same Seas W15 midbass as the WOW1 but has a RAAL ribbon like your Soundscape center.

yetis

« Reply #3 on: 8 Mar 2017, 07:11 pm »
To follow up. I would be open to selling these to someone in the New York Area. I would also welcome a partial trade for Silks or Exotica monitors. 

sfox7076

« Reply #4 on: 8 Mar 2017, 07:51 pm »
I have Exotica's in Fort Greene if you want to hear them (they are basically the monitor's with built in subs).

Shawn

yetis

« Reply #5 on: 8 Mar 2017, 11:50 pm »
Thank you . I might take you up on that.  Though I fear this could end up with a new pair of exoticas!

Also, some details on my speakers.
SoundScape 8's in Pau Ferro (Santos) Rosewood with Sonicaps in midrange and tweeter circuits Sonicaps for midrange and tweeter sections
Pau Ferro rosewood veneer

brubacca

« Reply #6 on: 9 Mar 2017, 02:38 am »
Looking at the website there is a SS7M also an exotica R with the ribbow tweeter. 

yetis

« Reply #7 on: 18 Mar 2017, 03:30 pm »
So these are official for sale.  Here is the link, from when they first left Salk.

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=106370.msg1088933#msg1088933

I also have an SS7 center channel, that I am now going to sell. I think it will overpower whatever monitors I end up with. It is standard black, NOT Pau Ferro (Santos) Rosewood (this as it sits in a media cabinet.  However, the caps, like the ss8''s, have been upgraded. The center is also bi-wired, like the SS8's. 

I would consider a partial trade if anyone has some standard Silks.

Thank you

JRMNorth

« Reply #8 on: 18 Mar 2017, 07:17 pm »
Hi,

I have a pair of standard Silks in Sapele Pommele with gloss black faces.  I also have matching gloss black stands from Jim.  I have been thinking about selling them along with my matched set of Supercharged Songtowers (fronts, center, and surrounds) and upgrade to better fronts. 

We are planning on moving and I want to have less speakers to move.  A picture of my speakers are in the gallery for Silk Monitors on Jim's website.  Let m know if you have any interest and we can talk. 

Thanks,

John

Miney

• Free your mind... and your ass will follow
« Reply #9 on: 18 Mar 2017, 11:38 pm »
Friggin' gorgeous   :drool: :drool: :drool: 

DEP14

« Reply #10 on: 20 Mar 2017, 07:00 pm »
Friggin' gorgeous   :drool: :drool: :drool: 

Wow, those look absolutely fantastic.

asteemer

« Reply #11 on: 20 Mar 2017, 07:22 pm »
"I personally am in love with the WOW1's - small and sweet."

What are your thoughts on how the WOW1's hold up compared to RAAL? I have never heard ribbons, but people seem to be huge fans here and elsewhere (ex. Ascend). I was out recently and was reminded how nice a soft dome tweeter can be (Ryan R610). If the WOW1's sound anything like those I don't think I would be left wanting. I don't have a large space, so I like the form factor of the WOW1, but also don't want to be left with feeling that an RAAL model like the Supercharged SongSurround would have been the way to go. Does the RAAL "blow away" the Hiquphon? It would be intersting to hear thoughts on the WOW1 compared to some of the offerings higher up the food chain from someone who has actually heard them.

JRMNorth

« Reply #12 on: 24 Mar 2017, 03:50 pm »
Hi,

It seems like the dome versus ribbon debate is like a lot of other ones these days - a lot of people like one or the other.  I personally like planers or ribbons, as they are able to more easily provide the delicacy I expect of the higher frequencies.  I have a lot of experience with classic Infinities - while they could be a bit forceful (compared to other tweeters of the day), they were much more detailed and delicate.  The RAAL takes away the in your face quality the Infinity EMIT could have and provides a more silky delicacy that domes generally do not have.  I have Salk Silks (actually the ones pictures in the replies above) and Supercharged Songtowers - both with the RAAL tweeters.  I also have Song Surrounds with the Hiquophon.  The Hiquophon is a good tweeter that provides a smooth top end, with no rough edges.  However, you miss that last bit of detail and delicacy that only ribbons can provide (at least to me). 

PS - My Silks (pictured above) are now for sale on the trading post.