The Beautiful Silk Tower in Pepperwood Burl

ebag4

The Beautiful Silk Tower in Pepperwood Burl
« on: 20 Dec 2016, 05:45 pm »
Jim,
Would you mind sharing what type of finish you used on the gorgeous Silk Tower in Pepperwood Burl found in the gallery on your website?  I am currently building a speaker using a plane tree burl finish and am playing with tints.  I happened upon your gallery and saw the finish on your towers, it is clear, beautiful and really lets the burl shine through.  I won't be able to replicate it but would like to give it a try .

Thanks,
Ed

jsalk

Re: The Beautiful Silk Tower in Pepperwood Burl
« Reply #1 on: 20 Dec 2016, 09:05 pm »
We use ICA poly sealer (FP272), spraying multiple coats until we are able to sand it flat without sand-throughs or grain showing.  Sometimes this can be 12 - 15 coats.  For our standard topcoat, we use about 5 coats of M.L.Campbell high gloss Magnamax pre-cat lacquer sanding out dust particles between coats.  We then shoot a final coat of satin Magnamax.  We then take a very fine sandpaper and remove any remaining dust particles we find and shoot straight lacquer thinner with a retarder added.  This re-melts the surface to remove any sanding marks left over.

I hope this helps.

- Jim

ctviggen

« Reply #2 on: 20 Dec 2016, 09:11 pm »
We use ICA poly sealer (FP272), spraying multiple coats until we are able to sand it flat without sand-throughs or grain showing.  Sometimes this can be 12 - 15 coats.  For our standard topcoat, we use about 5 coats of M.L.Campbell high gloss Magnamax pre-cat lacquer sanding out dust particles between coats.  We then shoot a final coat of satin Magnamax.  We then take a very fine sandpaper and remove any remaining dust particles we find and shoot straight lacquer thinner with a retarder added.  This re-melts the surface to remove any sanding marks left over.

I hope this helps.

- Jim

Holy crap, that seems like a lot of work.  How long do you have to wait between all of these coats? 

jsalk

« Reply #3 on: 20 Dec 2016, 09:26 pm »
We shoot about three "wet" coats at a time (45 minutes apart).  Then wait a day or two and sand.  Repeat...repeat...and repeat until they are ready for final topcoat.  Yes, it takes a lot of labor and time (about a month total in the normal swing of things). 

Most speaker companies shoot conversion varnish and do it all in a single day.  But the results are not at all the same.

- Jim

Folsom

« Reply #4 on: 20 Dec 2016, 09:39 pm »
No, they are not! If you've seen Salk's in person they're Hella nice finish.

ctviggen

« Reply #5 on: 20 Dec 2016, 09:57 pm »
I have Salk HT3s, fronts and a center. 

ebag4

« Reply #6 on: 20 Dec 2016, 10:33 pm »

I hope this helps.

- Jim

Thanks Jim, it does help, unfortunately it means I need to be looking another direction as I am not set up for that type of operation  :lol: (BTW, that pepperwood is really gorgeous, I assumed some type of tint was used).  I do appreciate the information. :thumb:

Have a great holiday!

Best,
Ed

Miney

• Free your mind... and your ass will follow
« Reply #7 on: 20 Dec 2016, 11:47 pm »
You mean these?  Here they are at Jim's shop next to their big brother :drool:

And yes, what they say so often in this circle is true... the pictures don't do them justice.

daven3871

« Reply #8 on: 21 Dec 2016, 12:50 am »
Just a question what is about average final dry film thickness and why precat after polyester and not a 2k poly