Crackling/Static in Song Tower?

ernest787

Crackling/Static in Song Tower?
« on: 1 Jun 2016, 05:57 pm »
Hey guys.  Figured I'd post here and get a few suggestions.

I own a pair of STRT.  I use a Crown 1500 to power them.  I have a Sherborne PT-7030 acting as the AV Preamp.

Recently I have noticed that I will occasionally get a static/crackle sound out the Left Speaker that only comes from the top woofer.  If I lightly press on the woofer the static/crackling will stop.  Once it stops I won't notice it for awhile and then it will randomly pop up again. 

This started around a month ago or so.  I haven't tried flipping cables or anything being that the sound stops when I press on the woofer, I'm guessing it likely has to do with that.

Hoping someone may have a few suggestions as to what the problem is.  I'm hoping it may be something that I can easily fix.

jsalk

• Facilitator
    • Salk Signature Sound
Re: Crackling/Static in Song Tower?
« Reply #1 on: 1 Jun 2016, 06:04 pm »
If it wasn't coming from only one woofer, I would suspect that the problem is elsewhere.  If it is coming from one woofer, it could be that the voice coil is somehow rubbing or there is some debris caught between the voice coil and the magnet.  If either is the case, you may have to replace that woofer.  You could test this if you felt adventurous.  If you swapped woofer from the right and left speakers and the sound moved to the right speaker in the process, you would confirm that it is a problem with the woofer.

- Jim

ernest787

Re: Crackling/Static in Song Tower?
« Reply #2 on: 1 Jun 2016, 06:39 pm »
That is what I kind of figured. 

I unscrewed the woofer to see what I'm dealing with and it doesn't look too complicated.  I may try to switch the woofers and see what happens.

Thanks Jim.