Introducing the SILK AT

johzel

Re: Introducing the SILK AT
« Reply #60 on: 14 Aug 2016, 04:18 pm »
Hi, sorry for not replying sooner.  Specifically, the Skylan stand's top plate  is 9" x 12" inches and the stands are 24" tall.  At Noel's suggestion for stability I went with the 4-post design.  FWIW, mine are filled with long grain rice.

And, these Silk AT's and Skylan stands may be for sale very soon.  Never being one to leave well enough alone I've been talking to Jim about upgrading (wrong word maybe), make that changing to a new design . . . taking these AT features into a floor standing loudspeaker . . . gone for a bit and likely listing these soon.   :duh:

Should be listing these in the next day.  Looking forward to moving onto a "new" project with Jim using this same AT driver . . .

Will2

« Reply #61 on: 24 May 2017, 01:21 pm »
I think I have just bought these from the second owner - really looking forward to enjoying them in my office setup.

wasquatch

« Reply #62 on: 25 May 2017, 02:49 am »
I think I have just bought these from the second owner - really looking forward to enjoying them in my office setup.

Congrats! What made you choose the AT vs the Illuminator version? I see there's a pair of the Illuminator model on sale at the same time as the AT model on Audiogon.

Will2

« Reply #63 on: 25 May 2017, 03:01 am »
Two things.  First, I have an atma-sphere S-30 that I'm using in the setup now which only produces 30w and I thought the higher sensitivity was better (but what do I know).  Second, I liked the finish on these.  I admit that I am a bit concerned about the size of these vs the other version as I'm using them in an office location, but I'm guessing I'll get over that.

What perspective would you bring ....... I'm always keen to learn.

Will2

« Reply #64 on: 25 May 2017, 03:03 am »
Congrats! What made you choose the AT vs the Illuminator version? I see there's a pair of the Illuminator model on sale at the same time as the AT model on Audiogon.

I see you have a pair of the Illuminator model - what drove your decision?

wasquatch

« Reply #65 on: 25 May 2017, 03:16 am »
I see you have a pair of the Illuminator model - what drove your decision?

Thanks for the rundown. Probably not a bad call with the more sensitive AT versions.

I remember asking Jim about the difference between the two when I was deciding (mainly because there was already a pair of AT built and for sale on their website) and I can't remember exactly what he said. I think it was something to the effect of the increased sensitivity being the biggest difference, but the Illuminator being a tad warmer... something like that. I believe he said any sonic differences were slight and both were excellent.

In any case, I'm certain you'll love the AT version. I adore my Silks to the point that it's hard for me to want to upgrade to anything that isn't the SoundScape. The RAAL tweeter is a revelation.