Introducing the SILK AT

TwymanJ

Re: Introducing the SILK AT
« Reply #20 on: 14 Dec 2015, 02:32 am »
They do weigh a ton for their size.  I believe each speaker shipped at 38 pounds.  I have an Oppo BDP-93 (as a transport) running to an Exogal Comet DAC (also used as "preamp") into the new SST Son of Ampzilla II amplifier.  The combination is marvelous.  Still breaking in - but together - the best I've had.  Interestingly, so far, I haven't felt the need for a subwoofer.  I have a couple, someday I will throw them into the mix.  New Year's resolution:  Start streaming music . . . whatever that is :)

Nice!  Would love to see a pic of the whole system.

johzel

« Reply #21 on: 25 Dec 2015, 06:47 pm »
Nice!  Would love to see a pic of the whole system.

Here you go.  The Son of Ampzilla MK2 sitting on top of BDI cabinet.  The Exogal Comet on the inside - not in view.

Rocket

« Reply #22 on: 26 Dec 2015, 02:09 am »
Hi,

Thanks for the photos. Hope your really happy with how the speakers sound in your system.  Jim builds great speakers.

Cheers Rod

danabunner

« Reply #23 on: 31 Jan 2016, 08:09 pm »
Those look great.  Are they breaking in well?

Do you live in New Glarus?  Or just like their beer?  I'm just up the road from NG, about 15 miles in Verona.

Phil A

« Reply #24 on: 31 Jan 2016, 08:20 pm »
Congrats on the purchase.  They look wonderful.

johzel

« Reply #25 on: 31 Jan 2016, 08:55 pm »
Those look great.  Are they breaking in well?

Do you live in New Glarus?  Or just like their beer?  I'm just up the road from NG, about 15 miles in Verona.

Both  :thumb:  We are, indeed, neighbors!! Drive through Verona all the time on way into Madison.  And live about 2 miles from the brewery . . . Fat Squirrel and Milk Stout nowadays.  The speakers and amp are doing great together . . . haven't been listening a whole lot lately as we're finishing off a lower level where my audio gear will find its new home. 

johzel

« Reply #26 on: 31 Jan 2016, 08:59 pm »
Congrats on the purchase.  They look wonderful.

Thanks . . . and sound the same.   Must say, my wife even likes their looks . . . so long as I keep the grills on and she doesn't have to look at those ugly black round things  :lol:  Jim's work is even more gorgeous when you get to see it up close and in person.

Ace Deprave

« Reply #27 on: 31 Jan 2016, 09:17 pm »
Jim's work is even more gorgeous when you get to see it up close and in person.

Indeed. I'm still in awe of mine.

danabunner

« Reply #28 on: 31 Jan 2016, 11:21 pm »
Both  :thumb:  We are, indeed, neighbors!! Drive through Verona all the time on way into Madison.  And live about 2 miles from the brewery . . . Fat Squirrel and Milk Stout nowadays.  The speakers and amp are doing great together . . . haven't been listening a whole lot lately as we're finishing off a lower level where my audio gear will find its new home.

If you are ever giving demos, I'd love to hear them.  I do get into New Glarus from time to time. 

johzel

« Reply #29 on: 1 Feb 2016, 12:45 am »
If you are ever giving demos, I'd love to hear them.  I do get into New Glarus from time to time.

Be happy to . . . when things get all arranged here will send you a PM.  Will have a liverwurst, limburger cheese with raw onion on rye sandwich waiting for you . . . it is New Glarus after all.

Rocket

« Reply #30 on: 1 Feb 2016, 10:57 am »
Hi,

Just wondering what made you choose the SST Son of Ampzilla II's?  Did you get the opportunity to compare different amplifiers.

I had the previous Son of Ampzillas and sold them to a friend and upgraded to the Ampzilla 2000's.  I had some problems with one of the mono blocks and shipped it back to Wyred 4 Sound for repair.  Really good quality customer service and I'm totally happy with the product.  I'm also a Salk Sound customer having shipped HT2's, HT3's and rhythmic subwoofer all the way to Australia.

Really good quality and value system you have at your home.

Cheers Rod

johzel

« Reply #31 on: 1 Feb 2016, 12:17 pm »
Hi,

Just wondering what made you choose the SST Son of Ampzilla II's?  Did you get the opportunity to compare different amplifiers.

Really good quality and value system you have at your home.

Cheers Rod

A couple of things.  Quality of sound of course.  The SST name is legendary (is it safe to say that). The reviews of the new amps are certainly excellent.  Was looking for more power for the Silk AT's - they're not terribly efficient and the Son Of Ampzilla MKII comes in at 220 watts into 8 ohms, I wanted a balanced amp to pair with my Exogal Comet DAC that uses a balanced output, the amp will fit in my BDI cabinet and while it's "hefty" I can actually lift it (no more 100 pounds amps for this "old" guy - it has a fairly small footprint for an amp with it's power and specs), and in the end I was able to get the amp at a decent price (mine was an unused "back-up" show sample from RMAF). Finally, Walter at Underwood hifi highly recommended the amp.  I have to say I really like this amp - best I've had to my ears.  And I have had many excellent ones (W4S, LSA Statement, 2 Van Alstines, 2 Odysseys, a Naim, a Modwright, etc. etc.).  Of course, this one lists significantly more than most of those at $3500 so it ought to.  At any rate, I'm entirely happy with this system and I guess that's all that matters. (I do have a pair of Gallo CL-S 12 subwoofers I've yet to use - plan to integrate those in some day - have just enjoyed the Silks all by themselves).

Rocket

« Reply #32 on: 2 Feb 2016, 10:35 am »
Hi,

I also bought both my SST amplifiers from Walter and had them shipped to Australia.  I received a good deal as well.  Happy listening to your system.

Cheers Rod

TKonrad.NOLA

« Reply #33 on: 29 Feb 2016, 03:46 am »
How do these differ from the original Silk?  I see they both use the RAAL tweeter but other than using the AT instead of the Scanspeak, what other differences?  Are the dimensions the same?  Frequency response?

johzel

« Reply #34 on: 1 Mar 2016, 02:49 pm »
How do these differ from the original Silk?  I see they both use the RAAL tweeter but other than using the AT instead of the Scanspeak, what other differences?  Are the dimensions the same?  Frequency response?

Certainly the AT is the major difference. 

The regular Silks are 8” W x 14” H x 11” D and play down to 42Hz as per Salk’s website.

My “Silk AT’s” are a bit bigger measuring 9” W x 16” H x 12” D.  Their sensitivity is 87db and frequency response is 47Hz – 40kHz +/-3db.  I do have a frequency response graph somewhere if you are interested.  Both speakers are front ported.  I notice the tweeters on the Silks are “offset” a bit in their cabinets.  The Silk AT’s tweeters are not – they are dead center in their cabinets.

bpape

• Industry Participant
  • I am serious and don't call my Shirley
    • Sensible Sound Solutions
« Reply #35 on: 1 Mar 2016, 04:13 pm »
Those are gorgeous.  Congrats!

TKonrad.NOLA

« Reply #36 on: 2 Mar 2016, 02:11 am »
Certainly the AT is the major difference. 

The regular Silks are 8” W x 14” H x 11” D and play down to 42Hz as per Salk’s website.

My “Silk AT’s” are a bit bigger measuring 9” W x 16” H x 12” D.  Their sensitivity is 87db and frequency response is 47Hz – 40kHz +/-3db.  I do have a frequency response graph somewhere if you are interested.  Both speakers are front ported.  I notice the tweeters on the Silks are “offset” a bit in their cabinets.  The Silk AT’s tweeters are not – they are dead center in their cabinets.

I am seriously considering the original Silk. I don't want to use a sub so I will go for the one that digs deeper.
Although I hear that the AT driver has a glorious midrange and as a lover of female vocals, like Cassandra Wilson, that might the way to go.  I doubt I could go wrong either way.

johzel

« Reply #37 on: 5 Mar 2016, 02:14 am »
Added a tweak to the system today.  Wow . . . was surprised.  Great purchase - worth the price.  Equi Core = 300.

http://www.corepowertechnologies.com/

TKonrad.NOLA

« Reply #38 on: 5 Mar 2016, 06:19 pm »
Question, is this the same AT driver used in the Vapor Audio Cirrus Black?

johzel

« Reply #39 on: 5 Mar 2016, 07:14 pm »
Question, is this the same AT driver used in the Vapor Audio Cirrus Black?

Sorry.  Absolutely no idea.  You'd have to call Jim and ask.