Sony HAP-Z1ES High Res Player

steve in jersey

Re: Sony HAP-Z1ES High Res Player
« Reply #40 on: 30 Mar 2014, 10:55 pm »
The player plays whatever music files that you've transfered from your Computer to it's internal storage on board the player up to 1TB . If your collection exceeds that you would have to attach an empty(the Z1 has to format it)additional external drive to the Z1 for the player to place additional music files after it "registers" (which it does to all) before it places them in storage (here or on the internal drive). 

To transfer any music from your Comuter (you can't transfer from external drives directly, as you will have
skipped "registering" the files) you first download the music transfer program from the address Sony provides to the Computer you will be using for this. If you have your music on external drives you have to reconnect them to your system & then target all the locations the transfer program should look for music files internally
& externally . A flow chart of the process would look something like this.

Download HAP Music Transfer to Computer > music on externals ? connect to Computer or > Computer > connect Computer to your network or directly (suggested for large collection) > HAP-Z1ES

I'm told there is a thumb drive included w/ the player. I strongly advise anyone to follow Sony's outlined
procedure as being a"New Technology" player the setup can really "bog down" if it does'nt see the steps in the
outlined order.

I would'nt transfer less then a "few" CDs at a time or a few TBs (if you've attached that empty drive to the player.) Several TBs will take a considerable amt of time as it is "registering" all the files as it places them in
storage.

As it takes me forever to type, some, most, or all of this may have already been explained (I'm not deleting this as I spent a bit of effort pretending to know how to type)

smargo

« Reply #41 on: 30 Mar 2014, 11:01 pm »

I'm told there is a thumb drive included w/ the player. I strongly advise anyone to follow Sony's outlined
procedure as being a"New Technology" player the setup can really "bog down" if it does'nt see the steps in the
outlined order.

what does this statement mean?

steve in jersey

« Reply #42 on: 31 Mar 2014, 04:07 am »
I'm not sure what you're asking about I thought it was you who mentioned that there was an included thumb drive that had the outline of the setup procedures on it.

As far as mentioning that it is a "New Tech" player there is no other existing player with the exact same set of
features on it & it's definitely a bad idea to not to follow Sony's directions closely (as some people, who may
not have been that careful had problems) as opposed to those who obviously did , ended up with a player that
worked the way it was designed to work.

We're not seeing as many reported problems with setting up . Word must be getting out about these threads
& people might be starting to realize that there are setup steps that are specific to this player only.
This all sounds like common sense, to most of us (I would hope). Some people throw that to the wind.

alan1946

« Reply #43 on: 31 Mar 2014, 05:19 am »
uk calling   I had the hap1eis 1tera   unit .  fitted 2 tera drive at start and formatted.  using HAP Transfer I set it copying all files   45000 tracks   25000 cd.  it took 9 days then two to count tracks down from 45ooo to zero. But the data base buffer scrool on the machine keeped going but no track numbers were showing at the side of the buffering scroll.
tried to use remote app , not all meta data was showing and play as sluggish/ stop/starting etc.    would work better but not as it should from the front panel. did a rescan said on screen successful but didn't correct.all albums 2500 could be seen on the hard drive. took back to shop and got refund. tried in vain for sony support ZERO would like a replacement but want all my collection to have all data shown as it does with my NAIMstreAmer.   ANY IDEAS THANKS ALLAN

peterlim8

« Reply #44 on: 31 Mar 2014, 06:29 am »
uk calling   I had the hap1eis 1tera   unit .  fitted 2 tera drive at start and formatted.  using HAP Transfer I set it copying all files   45000 tracks   25000 cd.  it took 9 days then two to count tracks down from 45ooo to zero. But the data base buffer scrool on the machine keeped going but no track numbers were showing at the side of the buffering scroll.
tried to use remote app , not all meta data was showing and play as sluggish/ stop/starting etc.    would work better but not as it should from the front panel. did a rescan said on screen successful but didn't correct.all albums 2500 could be seen on the hard drive. took back to shop and got refund. tried in vain for sony support ZERO would like a replacement but want all my collection to have all data shown as it does with my NAIMstreAmer.   ANY IDEAS THANKS ALLAN

It could due to the Hap supports up to 40000 tracks only.

If you can get it back, reduce the number of tracks as low as possible, and re-scan it. And make sure that it's connected network during the re-scan, else you'll get ZERO listing again.  :icon_lol:

For new comer, try to upload 100GB each time before you sleep, you'll have music for the next day.  :icon_lol:

Use wired connection for music transfer only.

alan1946

« Reply #45 on: 31 Mar 2014, 06:34 am »
always use wired, network very secure.  where did 40,000 come from . on line sony manual is poor. and it gives the same info with the cheaper hap1 unit too thanks allan

peterlim8

« Reply #46 on: 31 Mar 2014, 06:38 am »
always use wired, network very secure.  where did 40,000 come from . on line sony manual is poor. and it gives the same info with the cheaper hap1 unit too thanks allan

I got the 40000 tracks info from Japanese website. I guess someone in AudioCircle or ComputerAudio also mentioned it before.

harri009

• Industry Participant
« Reply #47 on: 31 Mar 2014, 07:45 am »
I got the 40000 tracks info from Japanese website. I guess someone in AudioCircle or ComputerAudio also mentioned it before.

Just noticed that the sony costs 40,000 yen in japan ;)

alan1946

« Reply #48 on: 31 Mar 2014, 07:56 am »
I tried in vain to speak to sony uk about this issue ,because if you have a large collection one tera is no enough . therefore a collection will be likely over 40000 assuming that most cd average out at 15 per album.  WHY cant we have a definite answer from SONY, any good sony contact over there .uk is very poor support

peterlim8

« Reply #49 on: 31 Mar 2014, 09:01 am »
Just noticed that the sony costs 40,000 yen in japan ;)

¥156,497 from http://kakaku.com/item/K0000579959/  :icon_lol:  :icon_lol:  :icon_lol:

harri009

• Industry Participant
« Reply #50 on: 31 Mar 2014, 12:05 pm »
¥156,497 from http://kakaku.com/item/K0000579959/  :icon_lol:  :icon_lol:  :icon_lol:

Google translate screwed me lol.  40,000 something money ha

smargo

« Reply #51 on: 31 Mar 2014, 02:17 pm »
I'm not sure what you're asking about I thought it was you who mentioned that there was an included thumb drive that had the outline of the setup procedures on it.

your right i did say there was a thumb drive and it outlines the procedures -

I read your post hastily and thought you were inferring something else - sorry!

steve in jersey

« Reply #52 on: 31 Mar 2014, 02:29 pm »
I tried in vain to speak to sony uk about this issue ,because if you have a large collection one tera is no enough . therefore a collection will be likely over 40000 assuming that most cd average out at 15 per album.  WHY cant we have a definite answer from SONY, any good sony contact over there .uk is very poor support

I would suggest that in all fairness to others, that this thread on this Circle (MWI) & the similar thread on the
Red Wine Audio Circle is'nt the place to try to troubleshoot equipment problems unless there was some "hands
on" work done to the specific unit that someone is having problems with.

The Audiocircle opens up on the latest postings page. At the top of that page numerous captions are listed . If you select the "Circles" caption  it will open up to the page that lists all the Circles that apply (or are a better fit) to what you are looking for. If you scroll down the page you will find the "Critic's Circle" that is the place
to start a thread specific to your problem.

As I've mentioned it's more in the spirit of fairness to others that we don't inadvertently end up "Hijacking" a thread. Most of us look at all the different circles anyway & we might not be aggravating some of the
less patient viewers among us (& one of these days I'll learn how to say more with fewer words ; but
don't count on that one) ( The whole concept of Twitter is lost on me; Just can't do it)

steve in jersey

« Reply #53 on: 31 Mar 2014, 02:40 pm »
your right i did say there was a thumb drive and it outlines the procedures -

I read your post hastily and thought you were inferring something else - sorry!

Hey, not a problem.

I have a bad habit of trying to say too much in one (nah, scratch that) "every"
sentence. (My bad !)

Randy

« Reply #54 on: 31 Mar 2014, 07:06 pm »
You do need to rip CD's to a computer HD, that is correct. The Sony wil accept Ethernet or WiFi to download music from your computer. You can also connect an external HD to the Sony via USB. You can also purchase hi-Rez and DSD downloads online.

The Sony will also play Internet radio and can be easily controlled by iOS or Android based phone or tablet app.  The app is very well done IMHO.

Thanks,

Dan

Thanks. Makes it a nonstarter for me, and I'd suppose for many others with large, not to say huge, CD and SACD collections. Why can't a similar unit be created with a CD slot where you can play and directly download it to the device at the same time? There is a unit in Britain called  Brennan that does this, but not at a so-called hi-rez level. I have no desire or inclination to hook a computer up to my stereo equipment.

alan1946

« Reply #55 on: 31 Mar 2014, 07:19 pm »
brennan is loooow fi so that not an option   hd copiers died out over in uk streaming is big business.  even your olive 4 etc doesn't have a wide support.  I like the idea off the sony but I had all the problems listed before