What equipment are you currently working on?

56oval

Re: What equipment are you currently working on?
« Reply #200 on: 5 Oct 2011, 12:55 pm »
I think I just fell off my chair. Kudos  :thumb:

Anand.
You know what I want to do....the CNC is ready if / when you are.   :green:

CHeers guys .

No CNCing all cut & drilled by hand ,even the engine tuning  :) .

Cheers

Mal

mgalusha

« Reply #201 on: 5 Oct 2011, 06:27 pm »
Still plugging away ,but getting closer

Lovely, absolutely lovely. I've been thinking about a 2 deck amp but there is a near zero chance it would turn out like these.  :thumb:

56oval

« Reply #202 on: 24 Nov 2011, 05:02 am »
Thanks mg

Slowly getting closer with the speaker build .

Once these are done then 15" bass cab's need to be built .

CHeers

Haoleb

« Reply #203 on: 17 Dec 2011, 03:40 pm »
This is my latest creation... I call it my Tube lAMP.

Havent been able to DIY much in the last year and a half since I moved and no longer had access to some of my tools and living in a small apartment with no area to work on things or keep stuff like saws if I bought them. But I got restless and a while back saw these cool light bulbs designed to be like the old style filament bulbs that arent very bright and remind me alot of tubes. Finally last weekend I decided to undertake a project!!!

This is what I ended up with. What does it do? Nothing really.. But it looks freakin cool. Pictures dont really do it justice, especially the bulbs which are very neat. Not super bright so you can stare right at them and a warm orange glow almost like staring into flame. All the bulbs are 30watt. The voltmeter is an NOS simpson I got off ebay. Really nice meter too, All metal construction, glass face. Too bad they dont make em as good anymore.

The case is solid maple, I added in a peice on the front to build up the profile so I could fit the meter in there. And cut the sides so the top and bottom would fit flush into the box so you dont see any end grain except the top triangle peice. I also added in some brass pins to the top to look like fasteners although everything but the bottom peice is all glued together. The bottom screws in with some stainless 1/4-20 allen head bolts I tapped the wood to thread them right in, which is working very well the wood is hard enough to take threads quite easily.

The wiring inside looks like hell but my choice to use some 14awg 1000v 105c mtw wire was a bit overkill and trying to get it all to look good in such a small space didnt pan out so well... Anyway, Onto the Pics!

jeffreybehr

• Volunteer
« Reply #204 on: 17 Dec 2011, 05:25 pm »
I'm continuing to improve passive parts in my quad of Marantz MA-24s.  I biamp Vandersteen 5As with them, so 2 are dedicated to lo frequencies (and receive fewer new parts) and 2 are hi-trequency amps and get more parts.  I'm close to finishing.   :)  Here's an early shot with the predecessor smaller/larger MA-22s just out and still loose.

HF on the left; LF on the right.  Notice the SoniCap Platinum Teflon-alloy-film output-stage-bypass caps, 1.47uF per pole.  One of the 3 small 'lytic caps on the board has been replaced here.

An early shot of a LF amp.

An early HF-amp output-stage-PS bypass.  Rail is 31VDC; caps are the now-rare Black Gate-VK 2200/35s.  I now use 2 on each pole.  Have done more since including replacing most PS and neutral wiring with Neotec 14g. UPOCC-stranded-copper wiring and Audioquest silver-over-OFC-copper spades.

This stuff is great fun and serves the public further in keeping me off the streets and out of the bars, as they say.  :roll:

More info here.  http://jeffreybehr.myblogsite.com/
« Last Edit: 17 Dec 2011, 10:15 pm by jeffreybehr »

Speedskater

• Kevin
« Reply #205 on: 17 Dec 2011, 10:21 pm »
Jeffrey, what are the copper wire things on the amps covers on the carpet?

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #206 on: 17 Dec 2011, 10:39 pm »
Jeffrey, what are the copper wire things on the amps covers on the carpet?
I'd say vibration control.

ammisco11

• Industry Participant
  • www.hhgstands.com
    • HHG Stands
« Reply #207 on: 22 Apr 2012, 08:06 pm »
Currently I'm working on new cabinets for my Ellis 1801.b and Denis Murphy designed Hiquphon OW2, Seas Excell, Peerless10" 3 way.  My stone fabricator just bought a $250,000 granite CNC and we decided to try it out making granite baffles for MDF veneered cabinets.  The results on the test pair were to say the least... encouraging  :drool:.  We are also making a sub from a hollowed out solid block of granite.

Solid Granite MTM speaker cabs.

Hollowed block of solid granite down firing 8" sub

CNC cutout for plate amp.

pjchappy

« Reply #208 on: 22 Apr 2012, 08:52 pm »
Still plugging away ,but getting closer

:o  Wow!  Very, very nice! :thumb:

Paul

Freo-1

« Reply #209 on: 22 Apr 2012, 09:49 pm »
Just starting on a pair of monoblocks.  Will be ordering transformers in the next week or so.

Will go with a a pair 12SN7 input tubes, and a pair of 1625 output tubes.

Expect to get roughly 40 to 50 watts from each monoblock. 

Scott F.

« Reply #210 on: 29 Apr 2012, 06:02 pm »
Earlier this week I went to visit Deadfish (Bill) who was parting with a fair amount of his gear that has been building up over all these years.

I picked up an old Fisher Futura II from 1962. As I mentioned to Bill, I really only wanted it because of the nine Fisher/Telefunken 12ax7 tubes. I told him that was going to pull the amp but all I would do was harvest the iron then trash the chassis. The amp is a 7591 based PP. It's a typical ultra-linear with NFB and selenium rectifiers.

As I got the amp back home I decided to look at the schematic. I've gutted a number of the older consoles over the years an many times the wiring pigtails between the separate chassis are loaded with switching, small signal wires, B+, filament power and grounding which makes it a PITA to create a stand alone amp. I normally just harvest select parts and iron and call it a day.

This one I got lucky. I only had to reroute a minor amount of B+ plus some grounding in order to get her to fire up. As I tested it on the bench, it sounded pretty darned OK on my little test speaker so I decided to make a little wood cheeked case for it. Nothing too elaborate, just something to dress it up a bit.

Here's a pick of the finished case. All I did was take a bit of old oak handrail that I had leftover, sawed it in half and then mitered the corners. I used a red based stain then shot it with about 8-10 coats of semi-gloss urethane. If you look close you'll see I was able to work in the Fisher Anniversary Series badge as a the name plate.

On the back side I installed an IEC plug

I left her completely unrestored. I didn't change any caps (I brought her up really slow on the variac to reform all the caps). I left the old rectifiers and resistors in place. That may (will) become an issue at some point but, I'll deal with it when they fail. Oh, obviously I had to install a power switch. I popped out one of the two power outlets and stuck a cheapie snap switch in its place. Also, I decided to pull the wiring out for the auxillary speaker terminals. I also replaced the speaker lead wires from the transformer to the terminal strip.

It's kinda cool if I don't say so myself :green: I'll end up using this in my shop in the basement to feed a pair of Infinity Qe's. For the time being, I'm going to leave her untouched, rust, oxidation and all. If she turns out to be really reliable, I may pull her apart and give her a good polishing and some fresh paint on the transformers.  :thumb:

JoshK

« Reply #211 on: 29 Apr 2012, 07:01 pm »
Nice score and nice job with the quick restore.  A lot to be said about getting her up and running versus forever a project.

I am finishing up a quad of Anarchy tapped horns and working to finish my Geddes Abbeys.

Scott F.

« Reply #212 on: 29 Apr 2012, 10:55 pm »
Thanks Josh.

Yep, I've got tons of those 'wunna these days' projects  :duh: It's been so long since I've done anything audio related (as far as building) that I said screw it, I'm building something (sort of) that I can finish in a weekend. This just happened to be it.

It's surprisingly decent. I've got it in service right now on the shelf above my head in the shop. I'm feeding it directly from the sound card in desktop built before the turn of the century. There was an impedance mis-match causing noise and other nasties so installed an old Creek OBH-10 passive pre. Worked just fine to kill the noise and most of the nasties. Lost some transparency but that's just fine. One thing, this old Fisher delivers bass by the truckload  :thumb: I've got Victor Wooten pounding the crap out of the shop right now. Kinda fun!

Those Anarchy's look like a pretty cool project. Be sure to post your impressions of the bass quality after you finish them :thumb:

sts9fan

« Reply #213 on: 29 Apr 2012, 11:11 pm »
Josh, I  am also interested in your opinion on the Anarchy tapped horns. I only built two but the output was just way too low. I would say the bass quality was good but they where also push too hard too easily. I could not fit four but that could make a big difference.

WireNut

« Reply #214 on: 6 Sep 2012, 11:01 pm »
One of two push-pull subs I'm working on.

SET Man

« Reply #215 on: 6 Sep 2012, 11:20 pm »
Hey!

Just saw this, Scott F nice job with the amp. The wood frame make it looks much better and the Fisher badge is a nice touch.  :D

Take care,
Buddy  :thumb:

Folsom

« Reply #216 on: 15 Dec 2012, 03:42 am »
I just cut off all the plastic on the electrolytics in my preamp (high end bugle and PS) and my amplifier (a fancy GC 3875).

Maybe some day I'll consider the wood upgrade but to be honest... this was more than worth the few minutes with a pocket knife. If your system is lower powered... Do yourself a favor, it only takes a few minutes. It wasn't a minor upgrade in sound; piano is very 3D and rings. Why does it work so well? Shit if I know... they are all in the power sections anyways? Nevermind, how about the words holy shit! I had done it before any never noticed much, but only on a few. Do your whole system and be ready for holy shit...

I have considered the idea of dampening them with wood, instead of replacing the metal. (what a pain, most circuits don't have room).

Frihed91

« Reply #217 on: 27 Jun 2013, 07:09 am »
56oval that is sweet.  :)

Earlier I saw you had a bunch of double C core OPTs.  Now I see them (or some more) again.  They look like Audio Note, but you mentioned earlier that they were hand wound by someone else.

Is that person in the business of selling custom OPTs and Interstage transformers?

So many small mfrs of really good Txs seem to be operating under my radar.

sts9fan

« Reply #218 on: 10 Mar 2014, 03:03 pm »
Finally started work on my F5 Turbo V2.
Here is the start of the PS.

wakibaki

« Reply #219 on: 28 Apr 2014, 05:02 pm »

My electrostatic phones. A work in progress.

w