Re: Takata airbag recall - More cars added
« Reply #40 on: 5 Apr 2016, 04:10 pm »
Just a realization, that's all.

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #41 on: 7 Apr 2016, 12:52 pm »
Just heard on the TODAY show that a 17-year-old girl from Texas died last week when her TAKATA airbag exploded last week in her 2002 Honda Civic, it is the 10th death from these airbags in the United States.

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #42 on: 7 Apr 2016, 02:35 pm »
I saw a motorcycle suit that inflate when the rider fall off the motorcycle
and doing so a rope attached to the motorcycle is pulled and the suit inflate.

Guy 13

I can see it now.  Fall off bike.  Suit inflates.  "rip cord" still attached to suit AND bike.  Rider smashes into tree. MC will be .0002 seconds behind rider with the same trajectory. What can possibly go wrong?

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #43 on: 7 Apr 2016, 02:47 pm »
Or the rider and bike are sliding down the road at high speed and the rider goes left of the tree and bike goes right with cord connecting them....  :o

On second thought, it would be funny to watch a guy get off his bike and forget to disconnect the cord and BAM he turns into the Michelin man.  :rotflmao:

GentleBender

« Reply #44 on: 7 Apr 2016, 03:02 pm »
(Oh...I've never sighted it in, so please don't laugh at my aim)  :oops:
At least your aim is better in Destiny!  :P Though I expected more action, I'm thankful the test was without harm to you.

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #45 on: 7 Apr 2016, 03:06 pm »
Thanks.  :lol:
Honestly, I've had some problems with the gun and never took the time to sight it in.
Obviously it shoots high.   :duh:  It's boxed up and being returned today, in fact.

*Scotty*

« Reply #46 on: 7 Apr 2016, 03:39 pm »
Bob, how do you know that airbag is "dead" for sure?  :o
It's not like you can take it's head.
Scotty

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #47 on: 7 Apr 2016, 03:46 pm »
I don't. That's the thing. But it'll lay in the woods and continue to be shot at until I feel it's in enough pieces that I feel it's safe to toss in the trash can.  :lol:

« Reply #48 on: 8 Apr 2016, 01:09 am »
I may be mistaken but doesn't the recall simply replace the defective inflator? Not the whole airbag or crash pad part of your steering wheel. I somehow doubt you'll be able to replace what you just shot up without some out-of-pocket on your part!

My 2002 BMW 530i is under recall for the Takata inflator starting in May of 2015. BMW says they won't have parts until later this summer. That will mean about 18-months since it was announced that I could be injured or killed. Haven't heard of one in a BMW causing any injury but I guess I'm taking a chance and still driving it. Still probably statistically safer than riding my motorcycle or commuting on Amtrak—at least this past week or so.

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #49 on: 8 Apr 2016, 01:14 am »
I may be mistaken but doesn't the recall simply replace the defective inflator? Not the whole airbag or crash pad part of your steering wheel. I somehow doubt you'll be able to replace what you just shot up without some out-of-pocket on your part!
No...no...no...uhm..."no"... and no.

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #50 on: 8 Apr 2016, 11:50 am »
Sorry, I didn't have time yesterday and give a better answer.
The entire module gets replaced. The bag, the inflator, the horn contact and the pretty upholstered "pad", complete with the vehicle manufactures logo.
Airbags and seat belts are the true definition of "No serviceable parts inside".

To drive that point home even more, I got a PM from a member here that was concerned about my antics and gave me a warning.
I wanted to pass along this information, just in case anybody decided they wanted to be "cool like Bob" and shoot their airbag.
So here's the PM I received (with colorful expletives removed).   

======================

Airbags all contain sodium azide as a component. About 4½ ounces are in each typical airbag.

Sodium azide is extraordinarily nasty ****. Think "the most toxic **** you've ever encountered".

When an airbag triggers, it consumes 100% of the compound and converts to nitrogen gas, which inflates the airbag. The airbag is triggered by a heat source, or 'primer', if you will.

In your video, I can't tell if the 'bag' got blown off by a slug, or by the sodium azide converting. If the sodium azide is still viable (it's extremely stable without a heat source), it's actually pretty ****ing dangerous.

Sodium azide, when mixed with water, converts to gaseous hydrazoic acid. Hydrazoic acid is a mutagen, which means it mutates your genes. :o  Lighter than air, it can float on a breeze. Rain is water...

The OSHA Permissible Exposure Limit for this gas is one part per billion. That's one cent in $100,000.00.

=======================

Ok then. So it's not the smartest thing I've ever done. Just don't tell my Mom.  :duh:

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #51 on: 8 Apr 2016, 01:21 pm »
Bob,

That (shooting airbags) looks like fun.

After watching your Destiny video, I realized it's been over a year since I played any online multiplayer games. I must need help.

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #52 on: 8 Apr 2016, 01:24 pm »
Bob,

That (shooting airbags) looks like fun.

After watching your Destiny video, I realized it's been over a year since I played any online multiplayer games. I must need help.
The only reason I put a Destiny video on there, was because I did particularly well that match. Otherwise you wouldn't have seen it.   :lol:
If you need some help in the game, I can give you a hand.

« Reply #53 on: 8 Apr 2016, 11:54 pm »
Sorry, I didn't have time yesterday and give a better answer.
The entire module gets replaced. The bag, the inflator, the horn contact and the pretty upholstered "pad", complete with the vehicle manufactures logo.
Airbags and seat belts are the true definition of "No serviceable parts inside".

I don't think that's always the case:

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #54 on: 9 Apr 2016, 12:47 am »
Well that may be a partial break down of the components, but I've got a couple decades in the industry, and I've never seen one that was more than one "serviceable" component or part number on the dealership level.
I could be wrong, but I'd be willing to bet a fine IPA that I'm not.

geowak

« Reply #55 on: 9 Apr 2016, 08:01 pm »
Bob,
My personal thanks to you for starting a discussion about this issue. I have discovered two people who have one of these defective Takata airbags and are taking steps to fix it. My wife has a Honda Insight and she is one of these people!

In case it was not noted earlier, the list of affected car companies is large. In her case, the local Honda dealership's service dept told her that the part was not available! But they also said Honda is the only manufacturer who is going the extra mile by allowing an owner to drop off their affected car and they will pay for an Enterprise car rental until the new part arrives and the car has had the part installed.

For the rest of us I would ask everyone here to pass on this info. There is no need for another fatal injury to occur, now that the information is out.

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #56 on: 9 Apr 2016, 08:04 pm »
Fantastic!
Yes, this is exactly why I started this thread. Give your wife a hug for me, glad she's safe.   :thumb:

geowak

« Reply #57 on: 9 Apr 2016, 08:20 pm »
Bob,

Yes I will give her a hug. Maybe I will give her a slight squeeze on the left buttock just for you. Hahah.
Anyway this is an example of the positive outcomes which can occur here on AC. I like the positive comments and the honesty here on AC. I suppose those two ideas do not always go together.

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #58 on: 9 Apr 2016, 08:23 pm »
Yip, I enjoy a good butt squeeze!
Tell ya what...I'll go hug my wife and squeeze her left buttock, and you go grab your wife and squeeze hers at the same time.
Deal?    :eyebrows:

geowak

« Reply #59 on: 9 Apr 2016, 08:29 pm »
Yeah that's a great idea!! I guess our topic took a left turn at Albaqerkey.  :o