Automotive A/C problem

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
Re: Automotive A/C problem
« Reply #20 on: 19 Jun 2012, 03:05 am »
My wife!  *rimshot*

:rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Don't ALL women come with a factory installed thermostat that is ALWAYS broken???? :scratch:

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #21 on: 19 Jun 2012, 03:08 am »

p.s. My wife takes meds to regulate her temperature. I'll get you the name of the prescription for your wife.  :lol:

Simple.  Increase her dosage.  Much cheaper than fixing the AC!

You're welcome, Bob!  :thumb:

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #22 on: 19 Jun 2012, 08:55 pm »
Overheated refrigerant will always vent; that's what the vent is for. As one of the symptoms is refrigerant keeps venting, it makes condenser cooling a primary consideration.

I asked about the dedicated electric fan because it's a good solution. Something like this. Cheap, effective, and easy to add if your wiring harness has the port. Adding a dedicated fan and a full refrigerant recharge should make things right again.

Jerry,
I'm thinking you're on the right track.
For lunch today, I went outside and played with some things (it was 96 degrees, by the way). With an know almost empty system, it's rare the head pressure gets high enough to blow off again. But today being so hot, it release more 134 when I revved it up in park, which was a surprise. I turned off the A/C and went for a drive. I got up to about 40MPH and put the trans in neutral, then turned the A/C on. The vent temp dropped drastically, so that tells me that air flow through the condenser is key and not compressor RPM.

I doubt I'll install an aftermarket auxiliary condenser fan, as it *shouldn't* have to have one.
Seems the good ol fashion "stick your hand in the fan" isn't as reliable as it used to be, so I may just suck it up and put a fan clutch on it.

Bob

JerryM

• Where's The Bar?
« Reply #23 on: 20 Jun 2012, 02:46 am »
Bob,

In the interim, you should consider getting some 134 back into the system, even if you know it's just going to vent. Cavitating the compressor is a bad thing, and can lead to more frustration and big spend.  :thumb:

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #24 on: 20 Jun 2012, 03:51 am »
bob, it sounds like you have checked most everything in the system, to see that nothing is clogged.  but, i heard no mention of the ewaporator - has this been checked?

doug s.

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #25 on: 20 Jun 2012, 02:05 pm »
Jerry, my wife will be out of town for the next several days, so I'll be driving her hotrod.  8)
This weekend I'll be putting a clutch on it. Might wait til next week when I get back to work to recharge it though. The 134 at work is a bit cheaper that paying full retail.

Doug, the low side of the system is ok. The lines and components are near ice cold when the system is running (which is an indicator that section is working properly), and the low side pressure readiness are within spec.

Bob

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #26 on: 29 Jun 2012, 01:18 pm »
I installed a new fan clutch last weekend even though the old one felt pretty solid. The following several days weren't much of a test as the ambient temps didn't get out of the 80's.
That is, until yesterday when it got to 108F.  :roll:
While driving home last night, the vent temperature was 42F.  :thumb:

I'd call that repaired.

Jerry and a fellow on another forum pushed in the direction of airflow through the condenser being the culprit, and they were right.
Thanks guys. My semi fatlike state greatly appreciates it, very much.  :lol:

Bob