Jupiter copper foil and wax paper capacitors

Ric Schultz

Jupiter copper foil and wax paper capacitors
« on: 2 Apr 2014, 06:47 pm »
Yes, the 600V caps are done and will be at the dealers within days.  The values range from .001 to 1uf at 600V and come in a round case with pure silver leads.  A .22uf 600V cap will be $60 for example.  Not cheap, but far less than Dueland.  I started this thread so these new parts can be talked about as they may be the new reference capacitor.  When I do my first testing I will post here.  Hopefully these caps are the real deal.  I am excited to play with them as the feedback on the prototypes has been phenomenal.  Later in the year there will be larger values at 100V for speakers. 

Chris Adams

Re: Jupiter copper foil and wax paper capacitors
« Reply #1 on: 2 Apr 2014, 08:06 pm »
Looking forward to hearing about your experience with these, Ric.  They are on my short list.  Thanks for the heads up. :thumb:

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #2 on: 2 Apr 2014, 08:31 pm »
Sounds great, thanks for the info Ric.

At $60 for the .22/600V cap... that IS cheap compared to Duelund! At that price, and if they are that good, I bet there will be a long waiting list forming as the 1st run sells out very quickly. Speaking of, I my order a pair for a prototype amplifier I'm working on to to avoid possible shortages... and I will probably wait on the speaker caps for my next speaker project and build everything but the external xovers...

It's hard to use other caps once you have used copper foils (of course I have not tried silver foil caps  :icon_twisted:)...

Hugh

• Industry Participant
    • Angel City Audio
« Reply #3 on: 2 Apr 2014, 08:40 pm »
I can only say from our own experience that these caps are better than Mundorfs'. :)

shadowlight

« Reply #4 on: 2 Apr 2014, 08:49 pm »
I can only say from our own experience that these caps are better than Mundorfs'. :)

Hugh,

Which amps/preamps are you using the new Jupiter's in?

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #5 on: 2 Apr 2014, 09:24 pm »

Not that hard to do... Mundorf caps are only ok.  I'm more interested in how they compare to other more expensive caps like Duelund, RelCap PCU, AN copper foil, VCap CuTF...

Maritan

« Reply #6 on: 3 Apr 2014, 12:31 am »
Me three or too, or whatever. I'm excited to see how they stack up against some of the better competition.

paul79

• Industry Participant
« Reply #7 on: 3 Apr 2014, 12:49 am »
I have the prototype versions here. Used them for a long time, then got the Duelund Cu Cast. They are more alike than different. The only thing the Duelund does better than these is delineation. They really catch all the details and separate them better. Other than that, they are close. I will give the nod to the Jupiter caps for musicality also. Just really great caps.

Chris emailed me about the new Jupiter caps, and said they are allot better than the prototypes I have, so that sounds very promising. If this is true, they are likely better than the Duelunds. I'll be getting me a set.

Tops

« Reply #8 on: 3 Apr 2014, 04:32 pm »
I am so much for this, it pains...... :thumb:

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #9 on: 3 Apr 2014, 04:44 pm »
I emailed Jupiter for a pair of .47uf / 600V caps...   :green:

BobM

« Reply #10 on: 3 Apr 2014, 05:29 pm »
So, what distributors are going to carry them?

- Partsconnexion perhaps?
- Sonicraft too?

I would love to know how these will compare to the Rike's (which are only available in Europe I believe). The Rike's are beginning to get a few people saying they are very Dueland like too and worthy competition at a lower price point.

Ric Schultz

« Reply #11 on: 3 Apr 2014, 07:53 pm »
Yes, Sonicraft and Parts Connexion will have them.....others too.

grannyring

« Reply #12 on: 3 Apr 2014, 09:20 pm »
I just placed an order and will compare to both Jensen PIO and Duelund. The price is lower than Duelund but still not cheap.

Maritan

« Reply #13 on: 3 Apr 2014, 09:37 pm »
Where are you guys ordering from? I wouldn't mind getting in on this action myself!!!  :thumb:

paul79

• Industry Participant
« Reply #14 on: 3 Apr 2014, 09:56 pm »
These guys are in the industry. That is how they get them factory direct. When they say things like that, I bet Chris gets overloaded with emails.

Customers will have to wait till the distributers get them.

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #15 on: 9 Apr 2014, 02:28 am »
Anyone can ask... Chris has no idea who I am (nobody anyways  :lol:) and sold me a pair. I can think of worse things than having too many orders to deal with!  :green:

I got the .47 uF caps and they were $80 something each, not bad... less expensive than the RelCap copper foil caps I'm currently using and much less than Duelund or VCap.

I'm hoping they will be the ticket for coupling and cathode bypass in a SET amp, paralleled with a larger value electrolytic...

They shipped today to it won't be long until I can report back. My preamp has 2 outputs so I can A/B the caps easily by moving the ics.

Jon L

« Reply #16 on: 9 Apr 2014, 02:58 am »
Hmm.. This is probably a good time to remind everyone to be careful of having too high an expectation or preconceived ideas before trying something out.  IME that knife can cut both ways. 

I do have some coming in the mail, and as usual, will try to give them fair and undivided attention. 

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #17 on: 12 Apr 2014, 11:46 pm »
Yeah, yeah, if these don't make at least a 123% improvement I will throw my whole system in a bonfire.  :green:

I got them FAST, FedEx Express, and plan on installing them after I catch up with work, hopefully in the next few days or so.

But seriously, I do expect they will share some similarities with my RelCap PCUs, which are polypropylene film and copper foil vs the Jupiter paper+wax and copper foil, but also have some significant differences because of the pp vs paper dielectric... Better? I have no idea and TBH kinda doubt it because the Jupiter's dielectric could add more "flavor", but the reports have been positive, I have been happy with what I've bought from Jupiter in the past, and the prices reflect a fair value instead of "I have something good so I will move the decimal point one place over and call it high end" type of approach that gives this entire industry a bad name.

So, whatever your expectations, I think they are worth a try. I have heard enough reports from people I trust to think there is a chance they may make for an improvement, and people who have balked at the price of high end copper foil caps in the past may find these are priced reasonably enough to go for it. And I have no doubt that these will be an improvement over most other non-copper foil caps, and a huge improvement over the mkp types found in many components.

Jon L

« Reply #18 on: 19 Apr 2014, 04:21 pm »
Jupiter copper foil caps are now in stock at Parts Connexion.

http://www.partsconnexion.com/capacitor_film_jupiter_ht_copper.html

Maritan

« Reply #19 on: 19 Apr 2014, 04:30 pm »
Sonic craft is also carrying them, and have a 20% sale on them! Damn. I want to buy some...