OK Monarchy NM24 DAC in the house

Housteau

Re: OK Monarchy NM24 DAC in the house
« Reply #60 on: 8 Dec 2007, 11:39 pm »
Thanks for the info, Dave...if you view the preamp section favorably in light of your experience with an Audio Research unit, that is saying a lot! I've never owned an AR, but it seems as if they make some of the most consistently well-reviewed gear on the planet. So you use the Monarchy for your phono preamp and DAC? Have you ever played around with an external volume control, or just used the Monarchy as a DAC?

I never get tired of looking at your system pics....that is one kickass room!

The Monarchy takes the line level output from my phono preamp and then preamplifies it.  I have not tried a separate volume control with the NM24, or taken the DACs line level outputs to another preamp for a listen.  I really like the synergy of the single unit and how well it works within my system, especially with the new tubes.  It just sounds right.

Thank you about the room.  It is my own little slice of audio heaven.  My home is actually very simple at around 1500 sq/ft.  Over the years I have fixed things up here and there.  This room however, is a separate structure that I had build when I put in a small detatched garage.  It has its own little central AC system and the separation from the house allows me to listen and not bother anyone, such as late at night.   

rklein

• My finest audio piece ever!!
« Reply #61 on: 11 Dec 2007, 06:47 pm »
I did contact CC Poon about the posibility of adding an HT bypass and he emailed me some papers on the possibilities of the NM24 which did not answer my question. :roll:  I then emailed my question again spelling out exactly my dilemma and that using the "unity gain setting" method with a preamp won't cut it as both my wife and daughter use this system for watching TV/movies, therefore an HT bypass is a must!!  I think they "got it" the second time around.  Below is Ming's response to my second question on the HT bypass:

Dear Randy,
We can include an RCA out routed from the Digital Audio IN so that
the signal is available all the time at this new terminal.
Additional cost: $30

Best regards.
Ming

Does Ming's response = a true HT bypass??

Thanks,

Randy

ajzepp

« Reply #62 on: 13 Dec 2007, 02:40 pm »
Here is what CC Poon wrote back to me about incorporating the NM24 into an existing HT system with receiver/processor:

"The easiest way is to feed the L/R 2-channel signal from your 5-channel decoder
(the HT Receiver's front L/R out) to the Line Input of the M24.

The front panel button of the M24 will allow the front L/R signals  to pass
through its internal tube Line Amp gain stage(abou 16 dB gain)
to the Output, to drive the two channel power amp/speaker system."

No mention of an HT bypass feature, but I guess this will work for my purposes. This is a really neat product!  :thumb: