Some Feedback on the AVAhifi Synergy 240

Frihed90

Some Feedback on the AVAhifi Synergy 240
« on: 22 Jun 2016, 07:58 pm »
I departed SS in the mid-90s and moved into low power SE (from 0.8W ll the way up to 9W).  In the last few years, I have heard a new SS sound that I like very much from amps that use various transistor output stages with 0 NFB.  I am an advocate of auditioning the equipment I buy in my system in my room.  I live in Copenhagen, Denmark and I can do this with Audio Note (UK) products and other, speaker dealers.  But the SS amps I like aren't carried by local areas and in some cases the mfrs don't do the EU shows.

So, I decided to make an experiment as a first step.  I have a pair of 10 OHM LS3/5As, which do really well with 9W of SET power and a pair of very sensitive and reasonably high impedance (min is 7 Ohms) that I use with all my SET amps.  However, I am missing some dynamics with the LS3/5A and the mfr of my high-sensitivity speakers says they sound best with 100W+ sand amps. 

Thus, I am thinking of buying the Synergy 240 as a first step test to see if I can get the sound I may be missing a bit of in terms of dynamics.  I really didn't want to spend anymore than around $1000 in the first place, because of the higher cost of regret and I have had no trouble here selling good quality equipment at low prices in Denmark, because people come to audition the equipment.  If it works for me, I'll still sell it and move up.  If it doesn't, I am very happy with what i have and I can write this off as an experiment that didn't pan out and only lose about $500-600.

So, after this long introduction, are there any synergy 240 owners out there who can tell me what they hear from this amplifier.

Thaks.

danielgk

• AVA engineer/technicion
Re: Some Feedback on the AVAhifi Synergy 240
« Reply #1 on: 23 Jun 2016, 07:40 pm »
There is a thread going on in an audio forum that is talking about a Van Alstine 240, among other things.  Decware is mostly a tube amplifier shop in Peoria, IL so its a little unusual for a solid state amp to be in the forum.  You might find it interesting, but you may have to read a bit.  Talk about the 240 begins towards the bottom of page 2 by Matchstikman: "So, I received the Van Alstine 240 ..."

A direct link to the thread is here:  http://www.decware.com/cgi-bin/yabb22/YaBB.pl?num=1455753449

Or, go to the Decware web site (www.decware.com), under the menu click on forums,  click on "General Discussion and Support", under Board topics click on "Van Alstine".

Enjoy!

Dan