WTB: Pass Labs B1

tlarwa

WTB: Pass Labs B1
« on: 25 Sep 2016, 01:28 pm »
Looking for a fully assembled DIY version or "real" Pass Labs unit.  Prefer 3 inputs and dual mono volume control, but I'm flexible.  I just bought a "real" J2 and I want to try the B1 with it.

Thanks,
Tom

RDavidson

Re: WTB: Pass Labs B1
« Reply #1 on: 25 Sep 2016, 08:08 pm »
Reno HiFi has a demo First Watt B1 available for $750. I didn't want to assume you've already looked there.

Something else to consider is a Tortuga passive. The J2 has fairly high input sensitivity and should play well with a passive unit. The Tortuga is VERY transparent. I had a J2 for awhile. It's a FANTASTIC amp. The closer you can get to going source direct with it, the better.

tlarwa

« Reply #2 on: 25 Sep 2016, 08:44 pm »
Reno HiFi has a demo First Watt B1 available for $750. I didn't want to assume you've already looked there.

Something else to consider is a Tortuga passive. The J2 has fairly high input sensitivity and should play well with a passive unit. The Tortuga is VERY transparent. I had a J2 for awhile. It's a FANTASTIC amp. The closer you can get to going source direct with it, the better.

Thanks.  I did see the one at Reno, just hoping I can find one (or a clone) for less than $750.  I'm definitely looking to go passive.  Been looking at the Goldpoint SA4M, in particular.  I just figured the B1 would be a good one to consider since I've read good things about it.  I'll look at the Tortuga stuff too.

RDavidson

« Reply #3 on: 26 Sep 2016, 12:59 am »
Goldpoint attenuators are good quality. The B1, I haven't heard, but I'm certain it's good. I'm not a fan of potentiometers....even though Alps are good quality. You should really consider Tortuga, unless you think you might need a preamp that'll definitely play nice in any setup regardless of amp or source. Passives can be tricky in that way, though Tortuga is perhaps the best / most flexible / and least electrically "fussy" full passive around. Another option, and these don't come up often, is the Wyred 4 Sound STP-SE. It is a fantastic preamp. Had one for a few years. I only sold it to fund the build of a custom preamp. The Wyred is buffered (like the B1), but uses a very high quality stepped ladder attenuator (somewhat like Goldpoint, but different layout). Plus it is fully balanced (if you ever want to go that route) and remote controlled. Might be more than you want to spend, but it's one of those preamps that sits in that area where you'd need to spend $$$ to significantly better. Same goes for Tortuga if your system is passive friendly (it most likely is now, but might not be in the future if you tend to swap gear a lot). Anyway, hope this helps. I think your mind is in the right place, for sure. :thumb: Sorry, didn't mean to turn your post into a thread. Just sharing other possible options if you don't come across a B1. :oops:
« Last Edit: 26 Sep 2016, 02:46 am by RDavidson »

tjhendry

« Reply #4 on: 5 Oct 2016, 02:45 pm »
I have a B1 in my second system that is rarely used so I'd be willing to sell.  It's not exactly what you want, having two inputs and a Goldpoint stereo stepped attenuator.  I bought it on Audiogon this past summer.  Beautifully built with Sonicap genI caps (bypassed with genIIs)...and Caddock resistors...  Black "First Watt" case and Pass PCB.  Only other passive I have owned was Placette RVC.  Can't trust memory,but this may sound better and has second input, though it certainly lacks the convenience of remote, the precision of 125 steps, or the price tag of RVC.

Let me know if you are interested. I could take and send pics.