Njoe Tjoeb 4000 CD w/ TjoUpsampler

BWentler

• In Christ, we are all saved!
« on: 23 Apr 2003, 02:05 pm »
Dan:

Your web page states upgrades for the Njoe Tjoeb 4000 CD but states nothing about the TjoUpsampler board.  I am interested in purchasing a Njoe Tjoeb 4000 CD w/ TjoUpsampler board and then having you do the AH! Signature Mod on that unit.  Have you done any mods with this configuration and if so, what differenences were there from what is posted on your web site?

Thanks!

modwright

AH!
« Reply #1 on: 27 May 2003, 06:00 pm »
At this point, our mods would not be compatible with the upsampling board.  I would recommend either our mods or the upsampler, but not both.

I haven't heard the upsampler, so I can't comment on its sound.

Thanks,

Dan W.

BWentler

Re: AH!
« Reply #2 on: 27 May 2003, 08:58 pm »
Quote from: modwright
At this point, our mods would not be compatible with the upsampling board.  I would recommend either our mods or the upsampler, but not both.

I haven't heard the upsampler, so I can't comment on its sound.

Thanks,

Dan W.

Thanks Dan and congrats on the baby!!!!!!! :D

Any ETA on when you'll have an upgrade for the upsampling board?  I understand ETA's so I'm a seeking time frame in quarter of the year and not dates or months.

Thanks

modwright

AH!
« Reply #3 on: 28 May 2003, 07:10 pm »
At this point, I don't believe that we will be pursuing any mods for the unit with the upsampling board.  In fact, I will likely be dropping the AH! mods from our offering.

This is largely due to the fact that we have too many other things going on right now and I am simply spread too thin as it is :).

Thanks,

Dan

BWentler

Re: AH!
« Reply #4 on: 28 May 2003, 07:59 pm »
Quote from: modwright
At this point, I don't believe that we will be pursuing any mods for the unit with the upsampling board.  In fact, I will likely be dropping the AH! mods from our offering.

This is largely due to the fact that we have too many other things going on right now and I am simply spread too thin as it is :).

Thanks,

Dan

Hey, thanks for the honest reply.....   :D

I understand and no problem on this end.  I am looking for a low end CD player for a headphone system that I'm putting together.  Any suggestions for a CD player around $1000 :?:

Bruce J. Wentler

modwright

RAM CD-25
« Reply #5 on: 29 May 2003, 05:46 pm »
I would recommend looking into the Music Hall CD-25 with our Tube Mods - $1150 Retail.  The mod price is $600 if you already have a CD-25.  In my opinion, this is significantly better than the AH! and I expect that it will easily better the Jolida and Heart also, but I haven't done direct comparisons personally.

Thanks,

Dan

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #6 on: 31 May 2003, 12:33 pm »
Dan:

I have tried to review your site and except for your mention above have found nothing regarding your modications of the Music Hall CD-25.  Please throw us some crumbs, thanks.

As I try to look at your various offerings it seems that you still offer signature mods for the Pioneer DV-45A for the same price as the Music Hall mentioned above.  Can you compare the two and explain why I wouldn't go with the Pioneer (that has a very good reliability record and ability to handle SACD/DVD), thanks.

A couple of months ago I heard your first Sony SACD 9000ES mods.  It transformed a very nice system into a terrific system.  And I've heard the same from another satisfied customer.  Congrats!

jeff

nature boy

« Reply #7 on: 31 May 2003, 01:03 pm »
JLM,

I believe that Dan has an agreement with Response Audio to modify the Music Hall CD-25.  Just click on the Music Hall CD-25 RAM signature vacuum tube CD player.  

You might try their website:
www.responseaudio.com

Dan please correct me if I'm wrong and BTW congratulations to you and your wife on the new family addition.  Great to have you posting again on Audio Circle.

NB

JLM

« Reply #8 on: 1 Jun 2003, 12:19 am »
Thanks NB.

Still wonder why someone would pay the same price for the RAM CD-25 as a good, reliable SACD/DVD with signature mods.

Congrats Dan on the new arrival.

jeff

modwright

CD-25 Vs. Pioneer
« Reply #9 on: 1 Jun 2003, 02:07 am »
The mods for the Pioneer are actually $700, while the mods for the CD-25 are $600.

The Pioneer does offer 'Universal' capabilities and this is of interest to many people.  It also uses a switch-mode power supply which has some inherent limitations in terms of noise.

The CD-25 uses a standard transformer-based power supply and has excellent build quality and aesthetics.

Some people would say that the Pioneer seems incredibly flimsy and 'cheap' looking and can't imagine why anyone would modify it?  Well, the truth is, that while it IS lightweight and doesn't have the 'high-end' build quality, it is, all the same, a very reliable unit with amazing format flexibility and great sound with our mods.

They are both excellent and both cater to different peoples desires and system needs.  I honestly have not compared the two units side by side, so I can't comment on their ultimate sonic differences.

I DO apologize, but our website is painfully out of date and now that I am starting to get some more sleep (Baby is sleeping more now), I DO plan to get several updates out to my webmaster.

FYI, the next step up, in both cost and performance BTW, would be the Sony 9000ES with our Level III mods w/tube analog stage.  The mod price is $1200 and it is exceptional.

Thanks,

Dan W.

JLM

« Reply #10 on: 1 Jun 2003, 11:08 am »
Thanks Dan.

I guess the questions still comes down:

1. Availability of SACD & DVDa;

2. What the full potential of CD's are;

3. Availability of the Sony 9000 and the total cost of this route with mods.

Dan, between my wife and I we have/had 6 kids!   :o   And unlike the Brady Bunch, we don't have a live-in maid.   :(   I remember 10 years of diapers.   :wink:   Hope you have a place you can get away to (without staring at work).   8)

jeff

JLM

« Reply #11 on: 1 Jun 2003, 11:09 am »
Thanks Dan.

I guess the questions still comes down:

1. Availability of SACD & DVDa;

2. What the full potential of CD's are;

3. Availability of the Sony 9000 and the total cost of this route with mods.

Dan, between my wife and I we have/had 6 kids!   :o   And unlike the Brady Bunch, we don't have a live-in maid.   :(   I remember 10 years of diapers.   :wink:   Hope you have a place you can get away to (without staring at work).   8)

jeff

modwright

SACD
« Reply #12 on: 2 Jun 2003, 02:06 am »
Hi, thanks for your compassion RE the new baby :).  I have the upstairs music room to retreat to, thankfully.  Spencer also likes music, so we can enjoy it together without a 'meltdown'.

SACD availability is actually getting fairly good.  However, the beauty of the 9000ES is that it is also simply a great CD and DVD player, especially with our tube mods.

The unit is discontinued, but they do turn up on Audiogon for $600-$800 on a fairly regular basis.

Dan