X-KINNY 2GO

sch

X-KINNY 2GO
« on: 5 Oct 2016, 11:36 am »
I have to confess that I am in love with the sound of these LGK drivers. Because we go on the weekends to nearby farms by road I thought about the idea of building sort of a "boombox" using these drivers.
The results are (almost) here. Keeping the same cubic volume and to avoid building a boring rectangular box, the guys gave this a round shape and used an ebony macassar veneer. It is like having two LGK (X-Kinny 1) joined by their bottom in an horizontal position.
The raw MDF areas will be painted black and I hope to have this guy loaded by the end of today.
The idea is to hook it to a digital amp with bluetooth.
Well, here is part of the process, more sanding,painting and finally loading will (hopefully) happen later today.

persisting1

Re: X-KINNY 2GO
« Reply #1 on: 5 Oct 2016, 05:11 pm »
This is pretty cool  :thumb: Did Danny help you out with designs or is this a solo project?

Keep posting those photos  :drool:

sch

« Reply #2 on: 5 Oct 2016, 07:48 pm »
This is pretty cool  :thumb: Did Danny help you out with designs or is this a solo project?

Keep posting those photos  :drool:
Thanks!, actually this is a solo project. But I did ask Danny about the chance of use its design horizontally and his answer was yes. Of course, I don't know about the curved side.
Some progress with the raw MDF now black:

Danny Richie

« Reply #3 on: 5 Oct 2016, 08:12 pm »
Man that thing is really good looking.

gregfisk

• Restricted
  • Us alone in the universe? sure is a waste of SPACE
« Reply #4 on: 5 Oct 2016, 08:52 pm »
That is super good looking! I have been thinking about doing the same thing with those drivers but just haven't gotten around to it. Of course these put to shame what I was thinking about doing looks wise. My plan is to use a Pure i20 ipod/iphone dock and a digital amp but blue tooth sounds great too!.

aldcoll

• Champagne Taste on a Water Budget
« Reply #5 on: 5 Oct 2016, 09:39 pm »
I really like the looks of your work.   You mentioned travel and Boom Box along with the curved design so will this speaker sit on thee rear window deck for travel tunes in the car also. :scratch:

So Photo's of it in use and where it goes, much like Where is Waldo ( A kids Book ) :rotflmao:

And the ORGANIC though in your work is stunning :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Alan

Bigharv88

« Reply #6 on: 5 Oct 2016, 10:25 pm »
It's hard to tell but in the 2nd to last picture it does look like you have included ports, is that right?  This would make a very attractive center channel if they could be wired in parallel.  Very nice job.

sch

« Reply #7 on: 5 Oct 2016, 11:56 pm »
Gregfisk: digital amp is still an option, but my daughters are bluetooth all the way!
This is one of my options for amp:
Grace Digital 50W amp.

Alan: I will be posting next weeks some photos after I return from a trip (business), let's hope it sounds great. Thanks for the comments.
Bighorn: Yes, they are actually two independent speakers:

Still missing the tube connectors. This photo was taken just to show the looks but they will be ready next tuesday after I return. I'll post my impressions about the sound. Not really high expectations, they may be a nice option for a small office, family gatherings, etc..
Santiago

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #8 on: 6 Oct 2016, 12:48 am »
Fantastic work as usual.

What will be really interesting is how this speaker images compared to two individual speakers where toe-in can be adjusted.

Mike

cody69

« Reply #9 on: 6 Oct 2016, 10:38 am »
I have to confess that I am in love with the sound of these LGK drivers.

Yes, lots of application for these drivers as Danny's design show... as well as creative solution like you've done here.

I had a similar design for a powered sound-bar to improve SQ of a flat screen TV... two LGKs end-to-end.
The curved back of your design is really appealing and significant improvement over a traditional rectangular box.
And the veneer choice and black baffle looks really nice.

For this application, do you have any plans for a grill to protect the drivers from accidents?

Danny Richie

« Reply #10 on: 6 Oct 2016, 03:28 pm »
It's hard to tell but in the 2nd to last picture it does look like you have included ports, is that right?  This would make a very attractive center channel if they could be wired in parallel.  Very nice job.

If you run the two in parallel as a center channel then they cancel each other out just a few degrees off axis.

sch

« Reply #11 on: 6 Oct 2016, 08:16 pm »
Fantastic work as usual.

What will be really interesting is how this speaker images compared to two individual speakers where toe-in can be adjusted.

Mike
Hello Mike,
Thanks! I have the same doubt. I guess that by being too close probably the image will suffer.
Next week upon my return we will see...
Santiago

sch

« Reply #12 on: 6 Oct 2016, 08:22 pm »
Yes, lots of application for these drivers as Danny's design show... as well as creative solution like you've done here.

I had a similar design for a powered sound-bar to improve SQ of a flat screen TV... two LGKs end-to-end.
The curved back of your design is really appealing and significant improvement over a traditional rectangular box.
And the veneer choice and black baffle looks really nice.

For this application, do you have any plans for a grill to protect the drivers from accidents?
Thanks for the comments, yes they will have to have some form of protection ( still undecided)  plus sort of a handle. If this guy is going to go places on weekends they will need protection from children cats and we, wine and beer lovers! :green:
Santiago

sch

« Reply #13 on: 17 Oct 2016, 01:17 pm »
Hello!
A short update: it's now operational and sounding great for its purpose of being sort of a boombox without the boom! Love the sound. :D

Happy here!
Santiago

persisting1

« Reply #14 on: 19 Oct 2016, 07:32 pm »
Those phase plugs peeking out of the black baffle really looks nice. Congrats  :thumb:

brother love

« Reply #15 on: 19 Oct 2016, 07:42 pm »
Santiago, Beautiful work as always.  :thumb:

Sure looks like that could be a fine center channel. What are the dims: width x height x max depth ?

sch

« Reply #16 on: 23 Oct 2016, 02:46 pm »
Those phase plugs peeking out of the black baffle really looks nice. Congrats  :thumb:

THANKS!!

sch

« Reply #17 on: 23 Oct 2016, 02:54 pm »
Santiago, Beautiful work as always.  :thumb:

Sure looks like that could be a fine center channel. What are the dims: width x height x max depth ?

Thanks, the dims are:
Width: 24"
Max Depth: 10 1/2"
Height : with the "legs" we designed: 5 3/4". Without: 4.5"

Santiago

sch

« Reply #18 on: 23 Oct 2016, 11:20 pm »
Today I placed it outside in the terrace. You can see the whole "system" with the Grace Digital amp and the Squeezebox on top. A boombox without the "boomboxness"  :thumb: