Bourbon!!!!

RPM123

Re: Bourbon!!!!
« Reply #180 on: 24 Nov 2016, 02:49 am »

Willett Pot Still Reserve...very smooth with caramel and sweet oak taste!

LesterSleepsIn

• Occasionally consternated
« Reply #181 on: 24 Nov 2016, 03:37 am »
I love you guys. Happy Thanksgiving!

SixCats!

« Reply #182 on: 4 Dec 2016, 03:16 am »
Hello all,

I'm a big fan of Whiskey, Whisky and Whiskey!  As far as Bourbon Whiskey goes, my being an Audio "best bang for the buck" kind of guy also applies to buying Whiskey/Whisky.

My "all around" favorite (ESPECIALLY) considering it's excellent price :

WILD TURKEY 101 http://www.distillerytrail.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/Wild-Turkey-101-Bourbon-Whiskey-Jimmy-Russell.jpe

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=InHka3a5fQ4

WILD TURKEY RARE BREED = EXCELLENT! (albeit more expensive).

Elijah Craig 12 = FANTASTIC!

BULLIET RYE = OUTSTANDING!

There are two kinds of Whiskey/Whisky......mine and yours.  Let's drink some of yours!

SixCats!

skvinson

« Reply #183 on: 18 Oct 2017, 04:00 pm »
I just got into Bourbon about a year ago, but I have jumped in with both feet! So much so, I had to build a rack b/c I ran out of room in the pantry. I made this out of old pallets. The glasses I collect at Goodwill etc. I look for ones that are heavy.

As far as favorites...

Eagle Rare
Angels Envy
Makers 46 (better than regular MM)
Makers Mark Cask Strength (noticeably deeper flavor than M 46)
Woodford Double Oaked
Spring Mill (also 'double oaked' and cheaper than Woodford)
Few
J.R. Ewing (very unique taste)
Breckenridge
High West American Prairie
Big Ass (a barrel proof)
Blantons (still comparing this, MM Cask Strength and Woodford double oak to see which I like best)
Michters
Larceny (ok. I think it has more wheat than many. Gives it a nice flavor.)

I tasted Stagg Jr and Rabbit Hole recently at a bourbon festival in Indy. Really like both, but they are expensive. Some of the ones on my list can be, but I buy most of my bourbon at Kroger. Their prices are good to start and you save 15% when you buy 6 bottles. Which, some of those bottles can be wine. (That keeps the overall price down)

BTW, I've had two 'industry' people tell me, and I taste-tested to confirm, Costco's bourbon is Woodford Reserve. Though, the other day, they were the same price. (Both cheaper than other places though, b/c the bottles are 1 liter for about $30)

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #184 on: 18 Oct 2017, 04:06 pm »
I see Bulleit in your arsenal, but you didn't mention it one of your favorites. Curious as to your thoughts on that one.

skvinson

« Reply #185 on: 18 Oct 2017, 05:43 pm »
To me Bulleit doesn't really stand out in any sense. It's certainly not bad, just not special in any way. I haven't tried the 10-year version.

fredgarvin

« Reply #186 on: 18 Oct 2017, 06:18 pm »
I've been drinking Buffalo trace, I like it better than Bulliet or Makers mark. Nice price too.

skvinson

« Reply #187 on: 18 Oct 2017, 06:51 pm »
I also prefer Buffalo Trace to Bulleit and basic Maker's Mark. I recently bought a 'single barrel' bottle that I was able to sample a bottle from the same barrel. Good stuff. I also got 2 single barrel bottles of Eagle Rare. It has really 'climbed' up my list lately. A little more, but I've seen some 1.75's of it lately that make it cheaper. Definitely worth it.

Wolf Ear Audio

• Industry Participant
    • Wolf Ear Audio
« Reply #188 on: 18 Oct 2017, 07:42 pm »
I've been drinking Buffalo trace, I like it better than Bulliet or Makers mark. Nice price too.

Agreed on Buffalo Trace. It also makes for very good eggnogs  :thumb:

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #189 on: 18 Oct 2017, 08:05 pm »
It's been a long time since I've had Buffalo Trace. I'll have to revisit that, thanks for the reminder!  :thumb:

luckyguy

« Reply #190 on: 18 Oct 2017, 09:02 pm »
Funny thing about bourbon.  The more you drink it, the better it tastes, especially after the third double shot. :o

95Dyna

« Reply #191 on: 18 Oct 2017, 09:32 pm »

+1  Just finished off my first bottle that my wife bought me for our anniversary.  Have always been a sour mash guy, Gentleman Jack and Single Barrrel Jack but am now eagerly anticipating another round of BT.

Cheers!!

skvinson

« Reply #192 on: 18 Oct 2017, 10:14 pm »
Not to knock Jack, but to me, bourbon (in general, and certainly good ones) has a greater depth and complexity of flavor than whiskey (and the Scotch's I've tried).

HsvHeelFan

« Reply #193 on: 19 Oct 2017, 05:42 am »
Some bourbon's I've lately that i thought were very good:

Breckenridge - priced right at 49 dollars for a fifth (750ml)

Michter US-1  around 44 a bottle here.

Blanton's - always excellent and around 58 a bottle.

I've never had Pappy 15/20/23, but the best bourbon I've ever had is the Wild Turkey Diamond Anniversary.  Around here it's 130 a bottle.

HsvHeelFan

mick wolfe

« Reply #194 on: 19 Oct 2017, 04:36 pm »
Bulleit Rye for Old Fashion's
Four Roses Single Barrel for sipping

95Dyna

« Reply #195 on: 19 Oct 2017, 04:57 pm »
Not to knock Jack, but to me, bourbon (in general, and certainly good ones) has a greater depth and complexity of flavor than whiskey (and the Scotch's I've tried).

It was Michter's that got me started on sour mash over 40 years ago.  Being from Central PA I was near the original distillery in Myerstown, PA which at the time was the oldest continuously operating distillery in the country. Their slogan was  "The Whiskey that warmed the Revolution" As the distillery gradually slowed down and stopped  production availability became spotty which is when I switched to the Jack products.  I agree with you that the Buffalo Trace has a depth to it that I really enjoyed.  It was wine-like in its subtle flavors that could be detected.

I'll have to give the current iteration of Michter's a try to see if it's still what I remember.

skvinson

« Reply #196 on: 19 Oct 2017, 07:58 pm »
I just bought a bottle of Michter's. I've had one glass so far. I liked it. I am going to compare it to some others I have.

syzygy

« Reply #197 on: 19 Oct 2017, 09:28 pm »

I really like this one.

skvinson

« Reply #198 on: 19 Oct 2017, 09:34 pm »
I've been wanting to try this one...

tjhendry

« Reply #199 on: 19 Oct 2017, 09:51 pm »
For anyone looking for on-line booze:

https://www.masterofmalt.com

Great selection of spirits...not just single malts.  While the rarities are expensive, there are some bargains to be found.
Go there and check out the Lenten Calendars if you want to get a friend, relative or yourself a special pre-holiday gift.

Right now my favorite Bourbon is Larceny.  It's a 92-proof wheated whiskey  that can please you when you Pappy is gone.