Question about hard drive(s) install on NAS

JoshK

Question about hard drive(s) install on NAS
« on: 5 Mar 2015, 05:51 pm »
I have a QNAP TS-569L if that matters, with 5 x 3gb drives.   I installed these and they were formatted/setup via the QNAP (not much data on them ATM).   Then I got 5 x 4gb drives with a *lot* of data on them (only 4 have data).    Problem is I wasn't thinking very clearly  :duh: that I couldn't just swap the drives into my NAS with the larger ones as on initial install the QNAP will wipe out the data on the drives.

I really would like to use the new drives on the NAS, but don't know how, or at least a good way, of preserving the data while doing so.   Any suggestions?

So far my only thought would be to put the new drives in a computer or external drive case and write the data only the older drives, assuming it will all fit (probably could).   That is a bit of an undertaking and sub-question would be how to ensure data reliability on transfer.

JRace

• Greetings one and Everyone!
Re: Question about hard drive(s) install on NAS
« Reply #1 on: 5 Mar 2015, 06:23 pm »
You must move the data to different drives, then install them in the NAS and let the NAS setup the drives.
There is no issues with data reliability - as long as no drives die during the transfer.

The issue though is will you be able to access the data off the drives?

Depending on how the drives were initially used you may not be able to access the data.

For example, if you just pulled the current drives out of the QNAP and stuck them into a computer the computer would likely not be able to read the data anayways (especially if the drives were used in a RAID setup).

Do you know how the larger drives (that have data you want to keep) were used?

JoshK

« Reply #2 on: 5 Mar 2015, 06:27 pm »
I believe they were plugged into an external enclosure and then data transferred to them.  These weren't in a QNAP or other NAS. 

JRace

• Greetings one and Everyone!
« Reply #3 on: 5 Mar 2015, 08:22 pm »
Easiest way would be to grab an external drive and put the HD in and see what the computer can do....if it asks you to format the drive first you will have a harder time with this.

If you have no available external drive enclosure you can use one of these:
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817994165&cm_re=docking-_-17-994-165-_-Product

And just plug the bare drive into that.

jpm

« Reply #4 on: 5 Mar 2015, 08:28 pm »
If the QNAP software permits you to expand a RAID array after creation, you have a lot more options. This is how I've been able to replace drives and expand arrays in my Synology unit.

Using a Synology NAS in your situation. I'd do the following.

Assuming you're creating a RAID5 array, you need 3 empty 4GB drives. If you are able to consolidate all of your data from the 3GB and 4 GB drives onto the two remaining 4GB drives, you should be set. If not, you'll need to buy or borrow extra drive capacity.

Having consolidated data, you're free to create the 3x4GB RAID 5 array.

Next, copy back the data from the two 4GB drives you consolidated on to.

Next, expand the RAID 5 array to include the remaining two 4GB drives.

Depending on the amount of data you have, consider RAID 6 for additional redundancy

Use your 3GB drives to back up as much as you can

Good luck!
« Last Edit: 5 Mar 2015, 09:37 pm by jpm »