BRYSTON BOT-1 (Bryston Optical Transport)

hal jones

Re: BRYSTON BOT-1 (Bryston Optical Transport)
« Reply #260 on: 10 Nov 2014, 06:06 pm »
Uhm.... errr.... no

The BOT is designed to act as an extension for the BDP.

Cheers,
Chris
Ok. My thought was that if we soon will have a DAC that can decode DSD, and that there will soon be an optical transport to spin physical discs that the transport might have the ability to send the DSD info to the DAC in some way. To me it would add more functionality to the unit. That's something I would most definitely be interested in.

hal jones

« Reply #261 on: 10 Nov 2014, 06:07 pm »
Having DVD capability, but not SA-CD doesn't make sense to me.

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #262 on: 11 Nov 2014, 02:21 am »
Ok. My thought was that if we soon will have a DAC that can decode DSD, and that there will soon be an optical transport to spin physical discs that the transport might have the ability to send the DSD info to the DAC in some way. To me it would add more functionality to the unit. That's something I would most definitely be interested in.

Well your not alone, but getting DSD out of an SACD has stump many people. Mi believe the issue is the lack of drives capable of reading sacd's.  I know I certainly can't find one.

Cheers
Chris

R. Daneel

« Reply #263 on: 11 Nov 2014, 05:30 pm »
Hi Antun,

Yes this is something being considered and development will be based on user feedback.

Cheers,
Chris

That's excellent Chris, thank you!

Cheers!
Antun

R. Daneel

« Reply #264 on: 11 Nov 2014, 05:35 pm »
Well your not alone, but getting DSD out of an SACD has stump many people. Mi believe the issue is the lack of drives capable of reading sacd's.  I know I certainly can't find one.

Cheers
Chris

Hi Chris!

Just to make a comment on this and forgive me in advance if I am wrong but this Pioneer PD-50 player plays SACDs and according to the specifications, it can play audio files stored on DVD-Rs. Here's the link:
http://www.pioneer.eu/eur/products/42/225/225/PD-50-K/page.html

Perhaps Bryston could buy one and see which drive Pioneer used as I am sure it is an affordable one, like the PD-50 player.

I don't find it necessary to play SACDs on the BOT-1 by the way but some others seem to like that idea.

Best,
Antun

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #265 on: 12 Nov 2014, 02:16 am »
Hi Antun,

This is not possible, we are using a sata optics drive, unless we can buy a sata drive that plays sacd's it won't be possible.  The original Sony PS3 could play audio cd's, dvd's, blurays and sacd's and in likley good was also a sata drive, but not one we could use as we could never have bought it.  The only SACD drives we can buy are proprietary and have the Dac's built in to prevent copying.  Seriously this is never going to happen.... Please for all that is holy stop asking!

Cheers
Chris

R. Daneel

« Reply #266 on: 12 Nov 2014, 10:42 am »
Hi Antun,

This is not possible, we are using a sata optics drive, unless we can buy a sata drive that plays sacd's it won't be possible.  The original Sony PS3 could play audio cd's, dvd's, blurays and sacd's and in likley good was also a sata drive, but not one we could use as we could never have bought it.  The only SACD drives we can buy are proprietary and have the Dac's built in to prevent copying.  Seriously this is never going to happen.... Please for all that is holy stop asking!

Cheers
Chris

Thank you for explaining Chris!

Cheers!
Antun

R. Daneel

« Reply #267 on: 15 Nov 2014, 07:05 pm »
Hi folks!

I am sorry if this has been already asked but for us BDP-1 owners, when can we expect to see the BOT-1 power supply considering we'll need one along with the BOT-1?

Cheers!
Antun

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #268 on: 15 Nov 2014, 08:14 pm »
Hi folks!

I am sorry if this has been already asked but for us BDP-1 owners, when can we expect to see the BOT-1 power supply considering we'll need one along with the BOT-1?

Cheers!
Antun

Hi Antun

Chris is working on it now so it should be available around the same time as the BOT -1  --- early January.  Looks like it is going to be a popular piece given the backorders already!

james

R. Daneel

« Reply #269 on: 15 Nov 2014, 08:49 pm »
Hi Antun

Chris is working on it now so it should be available around the same time as the BOT -1  --- early January.  Looks like it is going to be a popular piece given the backorders already!

james

Thank you very much Sir! I shall be needing one too!

Best,
Antun

R. Daneel

« Reply #270 on: 16 Nov 2014, 01:55 pm »
Hi Antun

james

Hi James!

To extend a bit on my previous question - how can I place on the order on the BOT-1 and it's power supply when it is not yet available?

One other thing, how is this going to work exactly? Do both the BOT-1 and the power supply need to be connected to the BDP-1 or just the BOT-1? Can you talk about that a little bit please?

Cheers!
Antun

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #271 on: 16 Nov 2014, 02:11 pm »
Hi James!

To extend a bit on my previous question - how can I place on the order on the BOT-1 and it's power supply when it is not yet available?

One other thing, how is this going to work exactly? Do both the BOT-1 and the power supply need to be connected to the BDP-1 or just the BOT-1? Can you talk about that a little bit please?

Cheers!
Antun

Hi Antun

You can order one through your dealer but make sure he knows they will not be available till early January.

The BOT plugs into the power supply with its own cable and the USB out from the BOT plugs into the BDP-1.  The BDP-1 has its own internal supply so you do not plug it into the external power supply.

james

R. Daneel

« Reply #272 on: 16 Nov 2014, 04:08 pm »
Hi Antun

You can order one through your dealer but make sure he knows they will not be available till early January.

The BOT plugs into the power supply with its own cable and the USB out from the BOT plugs into the BDP-1.  The BDP-1 has its own internal supply so you do not plug it into the external power supply.

james

That's great James, thanks!

R. Daneel

« Reply #273 on: 18 Nov 2014, 04:40 pm »
Hi Antun

james

Hi James!

The BOT-1 is going to be 800 $US. Do we have an estimate on it's power supply yet?

Cheers!
Antun

R. Daneel

« Reply #274 on: 5 Feb 2015, 07:09 pm »
Hi!

Is there an estimated price on the BOT-1 & power supply combination yet? When are these going to become available?

Cheers!
Antun

richter250

« Reply #275 on: 5 Mar 2015, 08:35 pm »
Anybody have any information about the BOT-1 release date.  I have a lot of CDs patiently waiting to get ripped into my BDP-2.

SHV

« Reply #276 on: 6 Mar 2015, 12:23 am »
Last post that I have seen from James Tanner is BOT-1 should be released this month.

Steve

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #277 on: 6 Mar 2015, 01:41 am »
One of the components used on the bot's main circuit board, a regulator was discontinued and it's held things up a couple of weeks to test alternatives.  It's not all bad news, while testing alternative components we came up with mod for the circuit board to allow the BMS (Bryston Mass Storage, USB hard drive) to be powered off of a 12v wall wart, we will likley have both the BOT and BMS at Montreal to show off with both expected to go into production just before or after the show.

Cheers
Chris

R. Daneel

« Reply #278 on: 6 Mar 2015, 09:23 am »
One of the components used on the bot's main circuit board, a regulator was discontinued and it's held things up a couple of weeks to test alternatives.  It's not all bad news, while testing alternative components we came up with mod for the circuit board to allow the BMS (Bryston Mass Storage, USB hard drive) to be powered off of a 12v wall wart, we will likley have both the BOT and BMS at Montreal to show off with both expected to go into production just before or after the show.

Cheers
Chris

Chris, will this include the matching power supply for the BOT-1 which is necessary for BDP-1 users?

When is the Montreal show?

Cheers!
Antun

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #279 on: 6 Mar 2015, 12:43 pm »
End of the month, as the bps-3 is going to take some time before it will be complete, we have been making a few modifications to make both the bot and BMS to work with a 12v wall wart making both available sooner rather then later.

Cheers
Chris