Super V Cross over pic

Trismos

Super V Cross over pic
« on: 6 Sep 2014, 01:41 am »
I am a big fan of wood. And brass. And of the concept of form following function, which is the whole thing behind the Super V.

This X-over is just laid out and will be wired up when I get the binding posts I ordered. But looks pretty good.

gregfisk

• Restricted
  • Us alone in the universe? sure is a waste of SPACE
Re: Super V Cross over pic
« Reply #1 on: 6 Sep 2014, 06:41 am »
Trismos,

Visually those crossovers look fantastic. I'm more into stainless than brass but I believe the design is what counts and the material is secondary. I too am a big fan of the visual aspects of a design but function is paramount when the sound of the music is concerned. I have yet to build my Super V crossovers and would like to here what Danny has to say about the layout.

Greg

Davey

« Reply #2 on: 6 Sep 2014, 01:53 pm »
Is that the orientation of the coils that Danny has specified??

Dave.

Danny Richie

« Reply #3 on: 6 Sep 2014, 02:42 pm »

Dave.

I didn't specify a layout. What he has doesn't look too bad in regards to the distance and placement of the inductors.

Danny Richie

« Reply #4 on: 6 Sep 2014, 02:43 pm »
Here is a pic of the Super-V crossover that had been posted quite some time ago.

Trismos

« Reply #5 on: 6 Sep 2014, 04:01 pm »

Dave.

I was having problems getting my head around the schematic verses how Danny and others had shown their finished boards. With some helpful messages from Danny I have mostly come to terms with it, but I followed the schematic layout keeping in mind different posts regarding inductor layout and this is the end result.

One of the things I was certainly after was visual appeal as the board will be left exposed. Hence my connections are under the board. This will make some connections a little longer than ideal but I'm betting that my ears would never note the difference. Also, I have gone with the evil binding posts, again choosing visual appeal over ultimate efficiency for the same reasons.

Danny Richie

« Reply #6 on: 6 Sep 2014, 04:09 pm »
This will make some connections a little longer than ideal but I'm betting that my ears would never note the difference. Also, I have gone with the evil binding posts, again choosing visual appeal over ultimate efficiency for the same reasons.

Those do have a slightly negative effect on the sound. Each additional connection and binding post will have a cumulative effect. Each on it's own may be small, but they do start to add up. And it is more noticeable with higher quality gear. With budget gear it may not be noticed much at all. So from one system to another it is hard to say how much that stuff is noticed. It does look really clean though.

Davey

« Reply #7 on: 6 Sep 2014, 04:19 pm »
Mutual coupling is something to be aware of but not obsessed with.  This crossover has a fairly large footprint.....which is good.  However, the two coils in the middle (red and green) are not 100% optimally orthogonally aligned to prevent mutual coupling.  If you applied a signal to one and monitored the other with an oscilloscope you'd be able to see a voltage induced.  But probably not a big deal in the overall scheme of things.  It just looks funny.......in my opinion.  :)

Dave.

Hank

• http://www.geocities.com/hankbond1/index
« Reply #8 on: 8 Sep 2014, 12:03 pm »
Just move the green coil down and to the left and you'll be good to go.

Trismos

« Reply #9 on: 8 Sep 2014, 04:47 pm »
I believe Davey would prefer that I just orient it straight (T fashion) instead of having it at the 45 degree angle. I did have it that way at one point in the mock-up but misunderstood a post indicating how this was a no-no. I may turn it back that way before final completion but didn't really want to add any more holes to the board than necessary. I was actually more concerned with the smaller inductor on the right which is also at a 45. It's part of the bass network and situated between two coils that are laying down.

Danny Richie

« Reply #10 on: 8 Sep 2014, 05:46 pm »

Trismos

« Reply #11 on: 8 Sep 2014, 06:24 pm »
Yes, that was indeed the article, and I had mistaken #6 for #5. So I compromised, having seen somewhere another article or post indicating that having the coil at a 45 was not a bad choice if that's what you were left with. But I can put it back as shown in #6 regardless.