altSort;2
altJump;2
bryston_db_cover_disable;0
bryston_msg_mp_enable;0
enable_bryston_api;1
artist_view_artist_list_menu;1
bryston_db_auto_fill;0

...and here is an image showing the entire contents of the USER folder:

The only change I've made was to add some *.m3U playlists and I've added the last line to mpdplayback.set:

repeat;0
random;0
single;0
consume;0
buffer_before_play;15%

...to help with 192/24 playback stuttering issues.

your file appears intact and works fine on my BDP-Pi.

This occur regardless of which artist you select, it never loads? 

you could try deleting this file.

/mnt/img/restore/settings/artistview_last_artist

otherwise i might need you to place your bdp into service mode and email me the service id.

Chris

Krutsch

Re: Manic Moose (S2) - BDP's third major firmware release
« Reply #2321 on: 26 Nov 2017, 05:08 pm »
^ Thanks, Chris. Tried that... no change. I've placed the BDP-1 into service mode and will PM you the ID.

EDIT: and, yes, clicking on different artists just shows Loading...

Krutsch

« Reply #2322 on: 26 Nov 2017, 11:20 pm »
I've placed the BDP-1 into service mode and will PM you the ID.

Thanks, Chris. Looks like you fixed something, as I can go into Artists View and it loads immediately.

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #2323 on: 27 Nov 2017, 05:23 pm »
Thanks, Chris. Looks like you fixed something, as I can go into Artists View and it loads immediately.

He Ken,

Yah the firmware wasn't taking into account if the bryston.db (contains the association of artist names to musicbrianz id's) was of a length of 0 bytes.  I'm still not sure what caused this oddity to occur, but we can certainly add check for this state before loading.

Krutsch

« Reply #2324 on: 28 Nov 2017, 01:56 pm »
^ Just a quick FYI: after things were working on the current stable release, I updated to the latest BETA (11/27?).

Update worked fine, in regards to the issue we've been discussing.

However, I noticed something new: in the Artist View, we are back to the problem of non-English characters causing problems with (i.) Album Art display and (ii.) Album/Artist titles being corrupted. This is similar to what I've reported in the past, and has been fixed in the stable release.

For what it's worth, I went back to 10/07 (stable release), rebuilt the Bryston DB and the Artist View displays all non-English titles/album art, correctly.

Thanks for your help, Ken.

gbaby

« Reply #2325 on: 6 Dec 2017, 03:03 pm »
Last night I upgraded the MPD file and after that the album art showed up.  :duh: 8) The BDP-2 is a serious digital player. However, even without the album art, I find the folder system to work just fine and it is really all I need. I guess my point is that there is nothing wrong with Manic Moose.  :D

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #2326 on: 7 Dec 2017, 06:47 pm »
^ Just a quick FYI: after things were working on the current stable release, I updated to the latest BETA (11/27?).

Update worked fine, in regards to the issue we've been discussing.

However, I noticed something new: in the Artist View, we are back to the problem of non-English characters causing problems with (i.) Album Art display and (ii.) Album/Artist titles being corrupted. This is similar to what I've reported in the past, and has been fixed in the stable release.

For what it's worth, I went back to 10/07 (stable release), rebuilt the Bryston DB and the Artist View displays all non-English titles/album art, correctly.

Thanks for your help, Ken.

k, i think i see whats going on

Norton

« Reply #2327 on: 20 Dec 2017, 12:29 pm »
I'm on S2.37 2017-12-16 with my BDP1 and getting an odd problem I haven't noticed before.
When using  the file type option in default  view, I can no longer click on a folder to add its contents to the playlist, but I can go into the folder and add individual files, which play successfully.  Even odder, I'm also seeing some  folder names under the type option that do not appear under the full list in the general default view.

bjski

« Reply #2328 on: 22 Dec 2017, 04:35 pm »
Chris, tried to update to the version of beta 12/21 with my BDP-3 and BDP-2. The new beta version would not load any of my hard drives. I restarted MPD updated each hard drive to no avail. On the BDP-3 must check MPD yet still didn't work. Went back to the 12/18 release which loaded both the BDP-3 and BDP-2.

bjski

« Reply #2329 on: 25 Dec 2017, 04:10 pm »
Chris, Beta 12/23 fixed the loading problem with both the BDP-2 and BDP-3.
Merry Christmas!
Cheers,
BJ

Norton

« Reply #2330 on: 26 Dec 2017, 08:35 am »
I'm on S2.37 2017-12-16 with my BDP1 and getting an odd problem I haven't noticed before.
When using  the file type option in default  view, I can no longer click on a folder to add its contents to the playlist, but I can go into the folder and add individual files, which play successfully.  Even odder, I'm also seeing some  folder names under the type option that do not appear under the full list in the general default view.

Can anyone help  with  or replicate the above?  I've since  realised that what appear to be folder names under the "type" view aren't actual  folder names (folder names under main default view are fine, and use file names over tags is enabled).  I tried moving to the latest stable release but then the "type" view was unusable, just returning lots of "diamond" characters regardless of browser used.  I have to confess that issues  like this, along with increased occurrence of the BDP just hanging, are really beginning to turn me off my BDP1.  I wonder if the latest FW, both stable and beta,  is just too much for  the BDP1?  Maybe an older stable release could be made available for us BDP1 users to revert too (at #BDP1 for example)?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #2331 on: 26 Dec 2017, 11:51 am »
Can anyone help  with  or replicate the above?  I've since  realised that what appear to be folder names under the "type" view aren't actual  folder names (folder names under main default view are fine, and use file names over tags is enabled).  I tried moving to the latest stable release but then the "type" view was unusable, just returning lots of "diamond" characters regardless of browser used.  I have to confess that issues  like this, along with increased occurrence of the BDP just hanging, are really beginning to turn me off my BDP1.  I wonder if the latest FW, both stable and beta,  is just too much for  the BDP1?  Maybe an older stable release could be made available for us BDP1 users to revert too (at #BDP1 for example)?

Hi Norton

Yes a lot of the new features being added need much more processing power than the BDP-1.  I will let Chris answer but maybe a retro MM software site might make sense.

james

Krutsch

« Reply #2332 on: 26 Dec 2017, 11:29 pm »
Can anyone help  with  or replicate the above?  I've since  realised that what appear to be folder names under the "type" view aren't actual  folder names (folder names under main default view are fine, and use file names over tags is enabled).  I tried moving to the latest stable release but then the "type" view was unusable, just returning lots of "diamond" characters regardless of browser used. I have to confess that issues  like this, along with increased occurrence of the BDP just hanging, are really beginning to turn me off my BDP1.  I wonder if the latest FW, both stable and beta,  is just too much for  the BDP1?  Maybe an older stable release could be made available for us BDP1 users to revert too (at #BDP1 for example)?

That means you need to Reset the Bryston DB and let it rebuild.

After you rebuild the bryston DB, you will see normal text. This is a side-effect of updating between the last, stable release and newer BETA builds.

Krutsch

« Reply #2333 on: 26 Dec 2017, 11:36 pm »
Just updated to the latest BETA build.

I really like where this is going, showing folder.jpg files in place of the generic folder in Media View.

I updated the folder image name to include "thumb"; I've started putting artist images as thumb.jpg to show artist images, at the artist folder level, since I've been using Soundirok.

One suggestion: I also have higher level folder.jpg images for genre folders and thumb drives. It would be great to see those show up when browsing by folder, instead of Manic Moose displaying the first album folder it finds three levels down.

Finally, not all of the album folders are displaying, but maybe there are size restrictions.

Anyway, nice first step in this direction...

Krutsch

« Reply #2334 on: 27 Dec 2017, 12:32 am »
Oh, and I discovered something else w/

S2.37 2017-12-23
Build: Manic Moose
MPD: 0.19.21 NEWS
Kernel: 3.16-0.bpo.2-486
COPYRIGHT BRYSTON LTD. 2010

I cannot browse my playlists. When I click on the playlists folder, it just says Loading... forever. I can click somewhere else and it continues to work.

For what it's worth, I can browse/play the same playlists just fine with Soundirok.

Norton

« Reply #2335 on: 27 Dec 2017, 06:05 pm »
That means you need to Reset the Bryston DB and let it rebuild.

After you rebuild the bryston DB, you will see normal text. This is a side-effect of updating between the last, stable release and newer BETA builds.

I didn't think that the default view, including the  file type option, had anything to do with the Bryston DB?  As I recall ( I may be wrong) the default /file type option used to work even with Bryston DB disabled.

As a matter of interest, in the  "type" option of the default view, do you see folder names as you would expect to see them and can you add a complete folder to the playlist?  Neither is true for me at the moment (although basic default view is fine) .  Type view has been important, allowing me just to browse DSD for example.
« Last Edit: 27 Dec 2017, 09:55 pm by Norton »

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #2336 on: 27 Dec 2017, 10:58 pm »

You just need to use the "reset db" option found in mediaplayer settings.  Typically I would role over a version value that would trigger this once the firmware goes stable.

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #2337 on: 27 Dec 2017, 11:22 pm »
Bryston DB, unless you click on the name of one of your drives your navigating by the bryston DB.  As soon as you stop seeing names of usb/network drives and before you see TIDAL/favourites/playlists all those options come from the Bryson DB.  Bryston DB in the current stable form is derived from data collected by MPD.  Bryston DB in the current testing release first takes what mpd has available, creates statistics based on what it See's and attempts to fill in the blanks.  If artist, album, track or track number is missing it'll attempt to use parts of the file path to fill these in.  If albumartist or genre are missing, it will attempt to match existing piecse (artist, album, track name, track number) to entries in musicbrainz to find matches.  If genre is not found, it'll grab genres for the first ten albums and use the one that most commonly appears.  If the albumartist value can't be confirmed or found it will attempt to use statistics collected earlier to figure out which foldername should be used.  I believe that's what I have completed so far, it's been super hectic last couple of months.  Next it's my intention to build an interface allowing users to change these values and fill in ones that are still missing.  Keep in mind these values aren't generated unless the bdp/mpd can't find them.  These bdp generated values aren't applied to your music files or even files stored on your drive, but a database file stored in user space (bdp's internal storage).  I hope this clears things up, as usual constructive feedback is all ways welcome.

Norton

« Reply #2338 on: 28 Dec 2017, 12:33 am »
Bryston DB, unless you click on the name of one of your drives your navigating by the bryston DB.  As soon as you stop seeing names of usb/network drives and before you see TIDAL/favourites/playlists all those options come from the Bryson DB.  Bryston DB in the current stable form is derived from data collected by MPD.  Bryston DB in the current testing release first takes what mpd has available, creates statistics based on what it See's and attempts to fill in the blanks.  If artist, album, track or track number is missing it'll attempt to use parts of the file path to fill these in.  If albumartist or genre are missing, it will attempt to match existing piecse (artist, album, track name, track number) to entries in musicbrainz to find matches.  If genre is not found, it'll grab genres for the first ten albums and use the one that most commonly appears.  If the albumartist value can't be confirmed or found it will attempt to use statistics collected earlier to figure out which foldername should be used.  I believe that's what I have completed so far, it's been super hectic last couple of months.  Next it's my intention to build an interface allowing users to change these values and fill in ones that are still missing.  Keep in mind these values aren't generated unless the bdp/mpd can't find them.  These bdp generated values aren't applied to your music files or even files stored on your drive, but a database file stored in user space (bdp's internal storage).  I hope this clears things up, as usual constructive feedback is all ways welcome.

Not sure if this is in response to my query, but if so it doesn't  really clear things up.  My basic issue is that I used to be able to go into the file type option and add a complete album via the "+" next to the Album name.  Now, this no longer works and the only way  is to go into the album and add the individual files one by one.  This is an observation rather than feedback or criticism. It's quite likely that I have set some parameter incorrectly, I just need to know what.
However, as you mention feedback, overall my BDP1 seems much less reliable now, frequently locking up, particularly when using the "back" function which often  results in it getting stuck in a permanent "loading" message which can only  be resolved by rebooting the machine.  My feeling is that the BDP is now only borderline usable and I find myself reverting to my disc player more and more often, for hassle-free listening.  Hence I wondered if the BDP1  is being overwhelmed by recent MM releases, and  whether making an older stable  MM release available might help?

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #2339 on: 29 Dec 2017, 01:23 am »
Does reverting to the current stable release not help?