anyone heard ELAC speakers? (sorry if old topic)

OzarkTom

Re: anyone heard ELAC speakers? (sorry if old topic)
« Reply #20 on: 10 Aug 2016, 02:36 pm »
No answers for my question:

Do these exist: https://elac.com/product-category/active/air-x/

Or are they so new that none of the online retailers listed by Elac carry them yet?

I'm buying if I could.

Here is a decent review from 6moons.

http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews2/elac/1.html

hifitommy

« Reply #21 on: 10 Aug 2016, 03:18 pm »
i don't think Andrew Jones  had anything to do with these ELACs.  but that may not be the a
question.   i am sure they are quite good.

RoadTripper

« Reply #22 on: 10 Aug 2016, 03:23 pm »
Right. And they've also been out for at least two years, apparently. And they appear to be nowhere near cheap and cheerful.  And possibly made out of unobtainium.
« Last Edit: 11 Aug 2016, 04:30 am by Seminarian »

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
« Reply #23 on: 11 Aug 2016, 01:51 am »
Anand,

Agree about flat bass response and that specifications don't tell the whole story.  And it only makes sense that more piston area is better (less movement per sound pressure so distortion should be lower).

But in this case the rated power and efficiency are identical while the on F3 are nearly the same, so I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around it.  OTOH in-room bass response is dependent on many factors.

I remember AJ explaining to me that the way his F5 woofers were wired were a bit unusual, and I believe the same goes with the UF5. So you don't get the sensitivity gains you expect with the larger speaker but you still have a decent impedance, although the lowest is at 3.4 ohms. I think the impedance low for the UB5 however might be a misprint as that unit only has one 5.25 in driver and it also has an impedance nadir at 3.4 ohms!

We are also assuming that all of these 5.25 in drivers are exactly the same.

A third party like Sphile or the NRC needs to measure these speakers then all will be answered.

Best,
Anand.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #24 on: 11 Aug 2016, 10:20 am »
The active versions of the UB-5 are projected to cost $750/pair.  See this video:

https://vimeo.com/166897894

Note that AJ uses the word "network" for "crossover".

OzarkTom

« Reply #25 on: 11 Aug 2016, 01:38 pm »
US gets vinyl cabinets while UK gets painted slimmer cabinets at a higher price?

https://vimeo.com/166902024

Part-Time Audiophile(Scott Hull), is on Amazon with this review of Elac speakers.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/review/R1LUHV8ESRKZGT?ref_=glimp_1rv_cl

Comparing to the B5 and Kef LS50-another review.

http://www.thorntonhifi.com/elac-uni-fi-ub5-review.html

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
« Reply #26 on: 11 Aug 2016, 07:24 pm »
That Thorntonhifi review was awesome. I think with the right amplification, source, etc...the small difference in the upper midrange detail the author stated between the LS50 and UB5 could be mitigated and you can come out on top with the UB5.

Thanks OzarkTom for the link  :green:

Best,
Anand.

restrav

« Reply #27 on: 11 Aug 2016, 07:40 pm »
I heard UB5 last week and it improves on B5 quite a bit. fit and finish are really the only let downs, also the fact that you need quite a few watts to make them sing so most tube amps are not going to be optimal. still like most modern mass produced speakers .... bass is copious but lacks finesse and the mid range is still not to me personal liking. which is to say i like more forward and pronounced mid range. that's a personal preference though. I think it makes a good partner for NuForce STA 9. but you will also need a pre.

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #28 on: 11 Aug 2016, 08:50 pm »
I heard UB5 last week and it improves on B5 quite a bit. fit and finish are really the only let downs, also the fact that you need quite a few watts to make them sing so most tube amps are not going to be optimal. still like most modern mass produced speakers .... bass is copious but lacks finesse and the mid range is still not to me personal liking. which is to say i like more forward and pronounced mid range. that's a personal preference though. I think it makes a good partner for NuForce STA 9. but you will also need a pre.
Interesting comments. I'm with you on the bass. Although I haven't heard the UB5, I find the most common problem with most speakers to be too much coloured and/or flabby bass. I wouldn't be surprised if that was a conscious decision by Andrew (overdoing the bass just a little) just to be remotely in the running.

max190

• Home of the St. Louis Cardinals!
« Reply #29 on: 11 Aug 2016, 11:11 pm »
I own the ELAC UB5's.
I saved $100 by ordering a blemished (the uni midrange driver had a green tint to it) pair for only $399.00 from Musicdirect. I really liked the sound of these at first, but then after awhile of listening I thought they just too bright. The bass they produce is unbelieveable for a spkr of this size. They throw a wide and deep image after careful placement, but that uni driver was just producing too much of a good thing.

I was ready to pack them up and send them back, that is until I decided to do some tube rolling in the pre-amp section of my hybrid amp.

Swapping out the (4) Tungsol 6189's for some GE 12au7's smoothed out that uni driver to where these sound excellent now. To get the bass and soundstage I wanted I had to pull these guys out 3' from the front wall, and spread 7' apart center to center  in my heavily damped room.

I am driving them with a Bada DC-222 amp that produces 95 watts @8ohms and doubles its power to 190 watts @4ohms. These guys do like a lot of power and can play very loud and not break up. Again the bass is just stupid good.

OzarkTom

« Reply #30 on: 12 Aug 2016, 12:54 am »
I own the ELAC UB5's.
I saved $100 by ordering a blemished (the uni midrange driver had a green tint to it) pair for only $399.00 from Musicdirect. I really liked the sound of these at first, but then after awhile of listening I thought they just too bright. The bass they produce is unbelieveable for a spkr of this size. They throw a wide and deep image after careful placement, but that uni driver was just producing too much of a good thing.

I was ready to pack them up and send them back, that is until I decided to do some tube rolling in the pre-amp section of my hybrid amp.

Swapping out the (4) Tungsol 6189's for some GE 12au7's smoothed out that uni driver to where these sound excellent now. To get the bass and soundstage I wanted I had to pull these guys out 3' from the front wall, and spread 7' apart center to center  in my heavily damped room.

I am driving them with a Bada DC-222 amp that produces 95 watts @8ohms and doubles its power to 190 watts @4ohms. These guys do like a lot of power and can play very loud and not break up. Again the bass is just stupid good.

If you ever get down to the Ozarks, you can compare your UB5's to a pair Spatial M3's and Zellaton Emotions at my place.

davidavdavid

• Music lover first, gear head second.
    • david.com
« Reply #31 on: 20 Aug 2016, 01:19 pm »
The ELAC Debut B6's made their debut earlier this year. I heard them when i was living in London, England. I was and continue to be amazed by their sound quality, performance and price. Talk about hitting the TRIFECTA. Clarifications: The speakers in Europe are the same speakers as one can purchase in the States. Same construction, same cabinets. I contacted ELAC about this because for whatever reason the price of ELAC Debut B6s in the States is cheaper in $$$ than they are in £££ and/or €€€ even with the exchange rate. The US is getting such a better deal.

I listened to these intently and am convinced that sub $300.00 for the pair, I don't believe one can find a better speaker, and that takes a lot. What Andrew Jones has managed to achieve is nothing short of miraculous and should serve as a wake-up call to other speaker manufacturers.

Echoing an earlier comment, when newbie audio enthusiasts contact me about putting together a starter system, I lead with the ELAC Debut B6's, because these are speakers they can grow with as they experiment with equipment. Now is such a wonderful time for the uninitiated to get started, an example system < $1500

Speakers:  ELAC Debut B6       $ 300 (Retail)
Amp/Dac:  Nuprime IDA8        $ 995 (Retail)
Cables:      Audioquest   
                 Speaker Type 2     $   60  (8 ft pair terminated)
                 Forest USB           $   35   (1.5 ft)

Total                                     $1390.00

Source can be computer, mobile phone, streaming device

Note: I chose Audioquest because they are readily available brand for those new to hi-fi, and I use them just as an example. The cables could cast a lifetime for some. As for the Nuprime, given all its functionality and versatility, it is an enviable one box solution.

Looking at this system and relative prices, these are indeed game changing times. Prior to the ELAC Debut B6 speakers, I would have had to recommend speakers costing twice the price or more.

pinkfloyd4ever

« Reply #32 on: 28 Aug 2016, 10:42 pm »
Anyone compared Elacs to Fluances side-by-side? I'm more interested in a comparison of bookshelfs but if you've compared the floorstanders, I'm definitely still interested in your thoughts.

OzarkTom

« Reply #33 on: 28 Aug 2016, 11:18 pm »
The ELAC Debut B6's made their debut earlier this year. I heard them when i was living in London, England. I was and continue to be amazed by their sound quality, performance and price. Talk about hitting the TRIFECTA. Clarifications: The speakers in Europe are the same speakers as one can purchase in the States. Same construction, same cabinets. I contacted ELAC about this because for whatever reason the price of ELAC Debut B6s in the States is cheaper in $$$ than they are in £££ and/or €€€ even with the exchange rate. The US is getting such a better deal.

I listened to these intently and am convinced that sub $300.00 for the pair, I don't believe one can find a better speaker, and that takes a lot. What Andrew Jones has managed to achieve is nothing short of miraculous and should serve as a wake-up call to other speaker manufacturers.

Echoing an earlier comment, when newbie audio enthusiasts contact me about putting together a starter system, I lead with the ELAC Debut B6's, because these are speakers they can grow with as they experiment with equipment. Now is such a wonderful time for the uninitiated to get started, an example system < $1500

Note: I chose Audioquest because they are readily available brand for those new to hi-fi, and I use them just as an example. The cables could cast a lifetime for some. As for the Nuprime, given all its functionality and versatility, it is an enviable one box solution.

Looking at this system and relative prices, these are indeed game changing times. Prior to the ELAC Debut B6 speakers, I would have had to recommend speakers costing twice the price or more.

If you decide to try a nice power cord with your system, buy one of the 1 meterWolf Ear Audio power cord for less than 100 USD. If you do not like it, I will buy it from you. You should hear an improvement.

https://www.wolfearaudio.ca/products/aohkii-reference-power-cord

DS-21

« Reply #34 on: 30 Aug 2016, 02:12 pm »
Now is such a wonderful time for the uninitiated to get started, an example system < $1500

You could shave a little bit off of the cost system by deleting the stupid scam garbage, and replacing it with the following:
Forest USB           $   35   (1.5 ft) -> generic USB likely free because you already have one (1.5ft)
Speaker Type 2     $   60  (8 ft pair terminated) -> Belden Belden BL-5100UP 14 Gauge High Flex High Strand Audio Cable + 4 screw bananas under $10 at Markertek with free shipping (8 ft pair)

Better yet, you wouldn't be enabling such a monstrous (pun intended) scam.

OzarkTom

« Reply #35 on: 7 Sep 2016, 02:57 am »
ELAC Announce New Flagship Speaker and New Turntables. Simply wild! :o

http://hifipig.com/elac-announce-new-flagship-speaker-and-new-turntables/

cujobob

« Reply #36 on: 7 Sep 2016, 06:19 am »
ELAC Announce New Flagship Speaker and New Turntables. Simply wild! :o

http://hifipig.com/elac-announce-new-flagship-speaker-and-new-turntables/

Lol that's the one that AJ and someone interviewing him said looked like a woman's private parts.

davidavdavid

• Music lover first, gear head second.
    • david.com
« Reply #37 on: 7 Sep 2016, 11:15 am »
If you were diligent enough to quote me, you should/could have been diligent to read what I had written. I suggested AudioQuest because of its familiarity and availability, and used them as an example. I did not set them in stone. For a newbie, an unitiated member of the tribe, who possesses neither the skill, the knowledge or confidence to muck about with cables going with low cost name brands simply makes sense.

And for that matter, the prices I quoted for the speakers and amplification were/are retail. More could be shaved off via dealer discounts.

You could shave a little bit off of the cost system by deleting the stupid scam garbage, and replacing it with the following:
Forest USB           $   35   (1.5 ft) -> generic USB likely free because you already have one (1.5ft)
Speaker Type 2     $   60  (8 ft pair terminated) -> Belden Belden BL-5100UP 14 Gauge High Flex High Strand Audio Cable + 4 screw bananas under $10 at Markertek with free shipping (8 ft pair)

Better yet, you wouldn't be enabling such a monstrous (pun intended) scam.