jRiver 20

Phil A

Re: jRiver 20
« Reply #100 on: 10 Nov 2014, 05:05 am »
Either way it pukes on DSD and DSF.  I can play 24/96 or other non-DSD with no drop outs.  I have the power settings at max performance, tried all kinds of Jriver settings and Jplay settings.  I am wondering if the computer is the issue and not the software so then a different dac may not fare any better.  Maybe there is a setting in the interface to the drives or something I am missing on the computer side?

I am conversing with Chord help and continuing to pick their minds.

Been running 20 with no issues.  Had a meeting over at my place of the Space Coast Audio Society this evening and it played for over 4 hours with no problem on anything.

k6davis

« Reply #101 on: 10 Nov 2014, 06:55 pm »
Been running 20 with no issues.  Had a meeting over at my place of the Space Coast Audio Society this evening and it played for over 4 hours with no problem on anything.
Same here. It's handled everything I've thrown at it with no issues. DSF, high res flac, whatever. And I upsample it all to DSD128 and send it through a dual Windows Server 2012 configuration without a hiccup.

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #102 on: 11 Nov 2014, 12:30 pm »
Are your music files on board an intenal hard drive, or external drive?

I'm having hang & crash issues as well, both with MC19 and now MC20.  I suspect mine is due to some connectivity and security issues with my Synology NAS.  If I drag files on to the internal SSD, it appears to work fine, but not with all file formats.  I need to look into the crash log files it generates next.

I use a Synology NAS with MC19 and I don't have any issues.  It is rock solid.

I will be trying MC20 later this week as I finally will have my 2 channel system back up and running (after almost five months of being in storage - sold and bought a new house).

George

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #103 on: 11 Nov 2014, 12:50 pm »
Finally got it!  I could not make any headway through the GUI.  After I searched in the JPlay forum and came across the Clock Fix mention I could not find it but finally found myself at the set-up instructions.  Lo and behold at the bottom of the page there was an explanation of the Regedit changes that could be made.  I finally made some headway by changing the Ultrastream buffer from 200 to 3000.  I could then get 90% through a 5 minute track.  Then I upped it to 4000 and made it through!  Then another.  Then another!  But then I hit a 3 minute track of a different album and croaked halfway through. Crap.  So I upped it to 5000 and all was good.  So it looks like I have worked this out and am quite happy, albeit late on a Sunday night.

I'll reconfirm tomorrow night it still works.

BRM,
Glad to see you have JPlay working with the MS-2.  Hope the latest settings are working out.   
Rich

Big Red Machine

« Reply #104 on: 11 Nov 2014, 01:05 pm »
Just dealing with 1 to 2 seconds of latency right now.  Wil continue to tweak, but not having drop outs is great.  I communicated this to Chord just in case others run into this drop out snag.

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #105 on: 11 Nov 2014, 02:09 pm »
Pete, something still seems not right, cuz I have a controlpc (the one with JRMC 20 on it) that runs Jplay and a Chord (pick one  :) ) and have it at dl/dl/2 and no special buffering of any sort, playing redbook to DSD128.  And that controlpc is a weakling Atom processor.

TF1216

• Industry Participant
« Reply #106 on: 12 Nov 2014, 09:47 pm »
George,

Congratulations on the purchase of a new house!  Did you move to NH?  :thumb:

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #107 on: 12 Nov 2014, 10:10 pm »
George,

Congratulations on the purchase of a new house!  Did you move to NH?  :thumb:

I did indeed.

George

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #108 on: 12 Nov 2014, 10:11 pm »
I did indeed.

George
:o   You do exist!   :thumb:

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #109 on: 12 Nov 2014, 10:18 pm »
Just saw my shadow...time to hide again.

George

TF1216

• Industry Participant
« Reply #110 on: 12 Nov 2014, 10:19 pm »
Yeah, it's nice to see you posting on AudioCircle more frequently.  When I am back in NH, our schedules align, I would like to take you to dinner for all of your kindness towards me.

audioseduction

« Reply #111 on: 18 Nov 2014, 11:11 am »
Rich, I am kind of put off by the price.
From the website:
"I downloaded ASIO4ALL and I slightly prefer it over WASAPI with jRiver 20. I suspect the ASIO results may be a matter of taste and somewhat system dependent. It is also a little flaky and does not always initialize.
Scotty
Scott, you should get a much better SQ if there is a dedicated ASIO driver from your DAC manufacture. I myself use a Bel Canto DAC3.5vb mkII and the dedicated ASIO from Bel Canto which gives me a world class reference performance playback. I too agree that JRiver 20 sounds better then previous versions.

richidoo

« Reply #112 on: 18 Nov 2014, 12:27 pm »
I've been using JR20 for the full trial period, 40 days, I think? I use it on an old XP, P4 with 1GB memory. I use it with a NAS, and streaming internet radio. I use it as a 3way active crossover, with 12db crossovers, and baffle step correction. I use gizmo on my laptop, MCRemote and nMedium on my windows phone for remote control. I use ASIO driver with Firepod interface, no problems. My Asio driver is finicky about how it is installed, whenever I don't follow the directions it gives me hell.

The CPU runs at about 4-8% when playing music (with DSP,) but I still get occasional dropouts if another process kicks in. I have not made any attempt to shut off interfering processes. Sound quality is excellent despite cheap amp on the bass drivers and electrolytic caps protecting the tweeters. I like the ability to tweak the crossover settings while sitting in the sweetspot using Remote Desktop.

My (extended) trial period ends today, I will be buying a copy. As a proof of concept, it was a success.

I wish that it had a way to accept analog inputs so vinyl and radio could be piped through the DSP. I know about loopback, but that requires upgrading the OS and using WASAPI, and maybe some other program which inputs/outputs audio? Cloogy.

I find that having a computer at the core of my system does put me off from listening as much as I would normally. I just have this hassle feeling in the back of my head that requires me to make a concerted effort to turn it all on and deal with Windows crap. But I finally got the crossover finished and sounding excellent, so I'm hoping I will retrain to accept it and relax.

I originally thought that I wanted to run linear phase crossovers which would require a computer hosting a convolution engine like JR. That would require buying a more powerful computer, filter creation software, measurement equipment, and eventually a better multichannel DAC than my current pro audio interface. This trial of JRiver was to be a proof of concept for me, seeing if I could make it to crossover, if it would sound good. In that respect the test is a great success, it does sound good and not too hard to setup. I'm sure it would be just as seamless to do FIR. But I am happy with the quality of sound using minimum phase filters, going active is what is important, there is a huge jump in performance there. So I am considering DIYing an analog active crossover to get rid of windows, use my analog sources and probably improve the sound over my current audio interface. I will run a computer (with JRiver) as digital transport to my nice stereo DAC.
Rich

ted_b

• Volunteer
« Reply #113 on: 18 Nov 2014, 01:41 pm »
Richidoo,
I am not sure if the WDM capability of JRiver is valid on XP, but if it is then anything you play through your pc (internet radio, etc) is now available to the JRiver DSP, etc.

richidoo

« Reply #114 on: 26 Nov 2014, 08:32 pm »
Thanks Ted, that sounds interesting! I see Presonus Firepod WDM in Windows Sound devices, and I saw JR installing WDM drivers in the latest JR upgrade. While researching your suggestion I saw a post on JR forum about loopback, so tried 'File|Import|Live...' and there was the ASIO input. I set it to 96k and fired up the TT, and we're in business!   :thumb:  Thank you for the clue!

I milked the trial period for 45+ days, finally payed it today. Very easy payment, registration and activation.
I got the active crossovers tweaked pretty well now.
On a fresh boot, the old PC runs 3-5% cpu with DSP.

Big Red Machine

« Reply #115 on: 20 Dec 2014, 09:27 pm »
JPlay is no longer available in JRiver options.  JPlay is still on my computer but it seems JRiver is ignoring it.  Now I have no solution to high Rez playback and have to reboot if I hit pause or fast forward while in high Rez!

ted_b

• Volunteer
« Reply #116 on: 20 Dec 2014, 09:57 pm »
Pete,
just dial back to release 41.  No issues.

motorcitym3

« Reply #117 on: 20 Dec 2014, 09:59 pm »
Pete,
I PM'd you the fix.   I did it last week and it's been working perfectly since.

Big Red Machine

« Reply #118 on: 20 Dec 2014, 10:19 pm »
Works so far!

Nick77

« Reply #119 on: 20 Dec 2014, 10:24 pm »
Alright Scotty, count me in as a believer. The upgrade to v20 just seems to sound richer. Next time I get an early adopter email I wont be so quick to judge.  :thumb:

I think the Windows driver will be quite useful. Thanks..