Spatial M3 Turbo S are in the house!

Philistine

Re: Spatial M3 Turbo S are in the house!
« Reply #60 on: 8 Jul 2016, 09:03 pm »
I'm not surprised that you guys are enjoying these speakers.  I found that OB designs are more realistic in terms of music reproduction, or what I consider to be realistic, and have put a halt to chasing the holy grail of traditional box speakers that require high powered (expensive) amplification.  I no longer listening to equipment and spend my time listening to music, which is what it should be all about.

Reading through the posts on subwoofers - I'm curious what the science is behind adding a closed or ported sub to extend the bottom end of the Spatial's.  Does this defeat the rationale for having OB's or is it a smart option?  I really don't know the answer on this and curious to know if it's an issue or not...

Blueone302

« Reply #61 on: 8 Jul 2016, 09:34 pm »
I hope the bass response on the M3's is sufficient.  Good deep bass is something I miss sometimes in my current rig.  And I agree on the sentiment I read into your response regarding the subs.  If we use an enclosed sub with the OB, have we not then introduced something into the mix that then colors the sound of the OB's?  Not saying this will necessarily sound bad.  It just seems like it would surely change the end result. Of course this is me thinking out loud.

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #62 on: 8 Jul 2016, 09:52 pm »
I hope the bass response on the M3's is sufficient.  Good deep bass is something I miss sometimes in my current rig.  And I agree on the sentiment I read into your response regarding the subs.  If we use an enclosed sub with the OB, have we not then introduced something into the mix that then colors the sound of the OB's?  Not saying this will necessarily sound bad.  It just seems like it would surely change the end result. Of course this is me thinking out loud.

Everybody is different, but I also have Vandy 5A's and I don't feel like I am missing anything in the bass department with the M3's.

That said, I am sure you could get a quality sub to add more to the bottom if you choose to.  If i went this route, I would definitely keep it 50Hz and below.  Of course, you could go with OB subs...

George

Blueone302

« Reply #63 on: 8 Jul 2016, 10:51 pm »
Once I get them, guess I'll try mine as is for a few months or so.  Thanks George.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #64 on: 8 Jul 2016, 11:26 pm »
Having had a system that was nearly flat to 15Hz and now have only the M3's it's pretty shocking.  I do have treatments and have tuned the room and placement of everything to yield the best.  I'm not even done yet!  I'm not missing the bottom end as what the M3's do provide in every other category is stunning.  They're the most FUN speakers I've ever heard or owned.  That's for damn sure! 

Blueone302

« Reply #65 on: 8 Jul 2016, 11:52 pm »
Now you're teasing me.  But yeah, when I sit back and think about it, every time I've gone through this deal of breaking in new gear, it has always yielded benefits.  One of which is the fun of listening; through not just some test tracks, but getting reacquainted with the whole music collection again.  And not only that, but I usually find myself hungry for more music.... music that lets me test the boundaries again, as in thirsty for some new genre or updating ancient stuff to remastered renditions or listening to and for brand new artists.  Yep, my wife's gonna need a second job!

mirekti

« Reply #66 on: 27 Jul 2016, 01:53 pm »
Has anyone had a chance to compare Spatial M3 with Emerald Physics KCII/KCII-PRO?

shahed

« Reply #67 on: 4 Aug 2016, 06:21 pm »
Are they suitable for a 16'Lx 11'W x 9'H room? And how about using with a push pull tube amp?

cfisher835

« Reply #68 on: 4 Aug 2016, 06:33 pm »
Are they suitable for a 16'Lx 11'W x 9'H room? And how about using with a push pull tube amp?

This is not too dissimilar from the dimensions of my room and I am using a small Audio Research amp to good effect. I think you will be pleased on both counts.

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #69 on: 4 Aug 2016, 06:33 pm »
Yes.

shahed

« Reply #70 on: 4 Aug 2016, 06:53 pm »
I can't place them more than 1' away from side walls and 2' away from backwall. Sitting position is about 8' away. Is that ideal? I mostly listen to rock music. Also I read in the reviews that tube amp may not be ideal for them. I have a TRL ST-100 amp.

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #71 on: 4 Aug 2016, 06:54 pm »

Yes, that should be fine.

Assuming the tube amp puts out more than a handful of watts, you should be ok.

What amp??

George

shahed

« Reply #72 on: 4 Aug 2016, 06:58 pm »
TRL ST-100 push pull using pair of KT-150 per channel. So the power should be adequate IMO. But I keep hearing SS is better pairing up with M3 turbo.

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #73 on: 4 Aug 2016, 07:00 pm »
I can't place them more than 1' away from side walls and 2' away from backwall. Sitting position is about 8' away. Is that ideal? I mostly listen to rock music. Also I read in the reviews that tube amp may not be ideal for them. I have a TRL ST-100 amp.
Yes, that will work.  Ideal?  Probably not but also not that far away from ideal and you will NOT be disappointed either.  They really do ROCK! 

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #74 on: 4 Aug 2016, 07:04 pm »
TRL ST-100 push pull using pair of KT-150 per channel. So the power should be adequate IMO. But I keep hearing SS is better pairing up with M3 turbo.

I think a quality amp of either type will sound good.

If you are really concerned, just send an email to Clayton Shaw and ask him to provide his opinion.  He is a straight shooter and will let you know what he thinks.

Don't forget to let the speakers break in before passing final judgement.

Enjoy.

George

genjamon

« Reply #75 on: 4 Aug 2016, 11:30 pm »

Mick Wolfe likes class D with his M2's more than his ST70 tube amp - but that's in his TV room setup, not his main rig.  I think he likes the way they rock out a bit more with the class D.  But I had my M1's powered by 22 watts of 845 tubes to good effect.  The impedance of the M3's are on the low end for tubes, so you just need to make sure your amp is cool with lower impedance loads and have healthy power supplies.  I bet TRL is pretty overbuilt, so probably are fine.  Sound-wise, the highs on the M3's will love the tubes, but the bass realm may not be as tight as you like - depending on your tastes.  With quality solid state, you'll get tighter bass, but maybe not as refined of highs/midrange - depending - and probably better dynamics.  They're high efficiency and very revealing speakers in terms of what electronics they're paired with.  In a small room, I would bet dynamics will not be lacking with tubes, but hard to say what will work best in terms of bass. 

Just some things to chew on...

rebbi

« Reply #76 on: 5 Aug 2016, 12:22 am »
Mick Wolfe likes class D with his M2's more than his ST70 tube amp - but that's in his TV room setup, not his main rig.  I think he likes the way they rock out a bit more with the class D.  But I had my M1's powered by 22 watts of 845 tubes to good effect.  The impedance of the M3's are on the low end for tubes, so you just need to make sure your amp is cool with lower impedance loads and have healthy power supplies.  I bet TRL is pretty overbuilt, so probably are fine.  Sound-wise, the highs on the M3's will love the tubes, but the bass realm may not be as tight as you like - depending on your tastes.  With quality solid state, you'll get tighter bass, but maybe not as refined of highs/midrange - depending - and probably better dynamics.  They're high efficiency and very revealing speakers in terms of what electronics they're paired with.  In a small room, I would bet dynamics will not be lacking with tubes, but hard to say what will work best in terms of bass. 

Just some things to chew on...

I am very, very happy with M4's driven with an 8-watt 300B SET amp. But that doesn’t mean I don't occasionally wonder what it would sound like with more firepower.   :lol:

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #77 on: 5 Aug 2016, 12:29 am »
I am very, very happy with M4's driven with an 8-watt 300B SET amp. But that doesn’t mean I don't occasionally wonder what it would sound like with more firepower.   :lol:
What's your location? 

JackD

« Reply #78 on: 5 Aug 2016, 12:53 am »
rebbi

It would be fuller and tighter in the bass regions. 

rebbi

« Reply #79 on: 5 Aug 2016, 01:00 am »
What's your location?

Central Texas.