The Megaliths open baffle line array speakers

HAL

Re: The Megaliths open baffle line array speakers
« Reply #160 on: 12 Sep 2016, 07:11 pm »
The tracking info shows the 8 - 20" ribbon arrays will be here Wednesday. Unpacking instructions in hand for arrival.

This should be interesting!

HAL

« Reply #161 on: 14 Sep 2016, 05:53 pm »
The day has arrived and the 8 - 20" ribbon tweeters are here.  Will be unpacking them and look at best mounting method to the baffles.

Guy 13

« Reply #162 on: 14 Sep 2016, 08:58 pm »
The day has arrived and the 8 - 20" ribbon tweeters are here.  Will be unpacking them and look at best mounting method to the baffles.

At last, at long long last, they are here !  :thumb:

Guy 13
on planet Vietnam.

ebag4

« Reply #163 on: 15 Sep 2016, 03:48 am »
Eagerly awaiting the final product, this is exciting even from here!

Best,
Ed

HAL

« Reply #164 on: 23 Sep 2016, 02:47 pm »
Unpacked the ribbon tweeters and did a test fit.  Have 1/2" on either side of the tweeter to take up to get it to fit, since the slot was sized for the BG Neo3.

The height is correct for one tweeter to match the length for 2 - BG Neo10's, so that will work correctly for stacking them.

Easiest thing would be filler so I do not have to drill new holes in the top and bottom header to move the one 1"x2"x87" oak strip.  The tweeter screws will match the existing width. Back to Lowes I go to look. 

A very open mesh grill material for around the tweeters is here as well and I can possibly wrap that and the tweeter with the extra width material to hold it together before screwing down the arrays.

The dspMusik RevD 8 channel crossover unit is here as well, so that will be going in instead of the RevC originally in use. 

HAL

« Reply #165 on: 8 Oct 2016, 08:48 pm »
Test fitted a pair of ribbon tweeters using felt to hold them in the wood slot.  Works very well with the material I had, so now need to get more to complete the 8 tweeter install.  Then put in the 4 wood screws per tweeter to hold them in place.

In the mean time the 4 amp modules to drive the tweeter arrays are complete and testing begins with the correct loads to simulate the ribbon and passive crossover needed until I get the 16 channel dspMusik system.  Using the 8 channel version now and reusing the midrange outputs with an extra high pass cap for the ribbons. 

I also have the black mesh grill cloth to protect the ribbons, so that will be installed with the felt to complete the speakers.  Then more testing to get everything tweaked in. 

HAL

« Reply #166 on: 15 Oct 2016, 07:43 pm »
The PI Audio Group BlunderBUSS has arrived to power the amplifier array for The Megaliths.  The TWL HAL AC power cables are here as well for all AC connections.

This will have 20 Class AB amp channels, two Rythmik Audio HX800 servo amps and the dspMusik RevD connected for the drive system for the speakers.

ebag4

« Reply #167 on: 15 Oct 2016, 11:08 pm »

HAL

« Reply #168 on: 15 Oct 2016, 11:43 pm »
Ed,
Figured it would be pretty big with 24 outlets.

To go with that, here are the 20 amp channels to drive the Neo10's and ribbon tweeter arrays and one of the Rythmik HX800 servo amps with the BlunderBUSS for power conditioning.

SlushPuppy

« Reply #169 on: 16 Oct 2016, 12:38 am »
Hal, you are a mad scientist, and I mean that in the best possible way! This has been a fun project to watch and I can't wait to see what you end up with!

Best regards,

Slush

Anonamemouse

• +52° 03' 30", +4° 32' 45"
« Reply #170 on: 7 Nov 2016, 11:43 am »
 :o
Wow... This is awesome! Threads like these makes any guy want a mancave... It's a shame I live waaay too many time zones away from you to drop by and listen...

aldcoll

• Champagne Taste on a Water Budget
« Reply #171 on: 7 Nov 2016, 01:22 pm »
Once again this has to be the best up cycle of used pizza boxes :thumb:

Alan

HAL

« Reply #172 on: 7 Nov 2016, 02:22 pm »
It has been a fun project so far and hope more to come. 

Lots of recycled aluminum in use as well for heatsinks along with the "pizza boxes".  :)

Now to get the ribbon tweeters installed and everything hooked up for measurements and listening.

HAL

« Reply #173 on: 7 Nov 2016, 09:35 pm »
Getting the felt installed on the 20" ribbon tweeters for installation.  This will hold it in the slot to allow hole drilling and attachment.

I asked Greg for the 5-way binding post install to allow speaker cable attachment for each tweeter.  I had the binding posts from previous ideas.

HAL

« Reply #174 on: 8 Nov 2016, 07:52 pm »
All 8 ribbon tweeters have the felt installed.

Now to use them to locate the pilot holes to drill to get ready for screwing them into the frame. 

The speaker wiring is ready to attach once the tweeters are installed.

ebag4

« Reply #175 on: 9 Nov 2016, 01:25 am »
Hal, you have me on the edge of my seat!  :thumb:  I am anxiously awaiting the unveiling of your masterpiece!,

Thanks for sharing.

Best,
Ed

Ric Schultz

« Reply #176 on: 22 Dec 2016, 02:11 am »
Hal,
What is up with the line array?  It must be incredible!  Unless not finished or problem?

HAL

« Reply #177 on: 22 Dec 2016, 02:56 am »
The new tweeters were to long for the original slot.

Working on new headers to make the slot longer.  Since I do not do woodworking, have a friend helping.  Prototype worked, so now time to correct the original header widths.  Hopefully after the holidays will be reworked.

HAL

« Reply #178 on: 24 Jan 2017, 01:52 am »
After some baffle rework, have the 4 ribbon tweeter arrays installed in The Megalith baffles.

The second phase will be a trial with the dspMusik with 8 channels, where the final phase will include the 16 channel dspMusik.

Will see how the new wiring goes to the tweeter amps. 

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #179 on: 24 Jan 2017, 02:50 am »
Glad to see progress.  I almost called yesterday to get an update.  Let's get this thing playing... your audience is impatient!