65 hz high pass filter

nightfall

65 hz high pass filter
« on: 22 Oct 2004, 04:15 pm »
Mike,

Are the 65 & 85 hz passive hp filters the only ones you offer?  I want to hook up a Force sub to my Tannoy D500 full range speakers.  I power them either with a Marantz 8B tube amp or a Marantz 250 SS amp.  The speakers go down to 40 hz +/_ 3db.  While I would like to relieve them a little of their very low end duties, I love the sound of my Tannoys and was hoping that I could squeeze out a few more hz from them before passing on the duties to the Force.  Perhaps by using a 50 or 55 hz high pass filter.  Does this make any sense from an audible point of view?  Would a 50 hz hp filter do little to relieve the strain on the Tannoys?  Is there any advantage in using the 65 hz hp filter over a 50 hz one?

Thanks!
Brian

Mike Dzurko

65 hz high pass filter
« Reply #1 on: 24 Oct 2004, 01:14 pm »
Sorry to take so long to reply. Just digging out after being without computer for five days  :D

It is usually a good idea to start to roll off your main speakers about an octave above their -3db point. This will give you the smoothest transition to the sub. Our Sapphires and Panoramas for example are -3db in the low 40s and I find the best integration using the 85Hz filters. The transition is gradual, first order. The cutoff is of course more rapid after the -3db point on your speakers. I'd use the 85Hz filters for your system.

Note: we can do lower values as a special order.

nightfall

65 hz high pass filter
« Reply #2 on: 25 Oct 2004, 02:42 pm »
Thanks for the info Mike.  I will use the 85 hz filters.  In what instances would someone use the 65 hz filters?

Mike Dzurko

65 hz high pass filter
« Reply #3 on: 25 Oct 2004, 08:30 pm »
Quote from: nightfall
Thanks for the info Mike.  I will use the 85 hz filters.  In what instances would someone use the 65 hz filters?

The 65s would be appropriate for use with main speakers that can reach a true upper 20s to low 30Hz in room.

Happy Monday!

Rich Carlson

65 hz high pass filter
« Reply #4 on: 25 Oct 2004, 10:55 pm »
Hi, Brian -- Just my 2 cents: I was also skeptical about using what seemed to me like "high" crossover frequencies, but I took Mike's advice and am totally convinced!  
Rich

alexander76

Re: 65 hz high pass filter
« Reply #5 on: 25 Sep 2020, 09:31 am »
I have a Focal JMlabs Electra 946 floorstanding speakers and an ACI Titan XL subwoofer. I received 65Hz high pass filters with the sub.
I wonder if 85 Hz filters would be better?

opnly bafld

• 83 Klipsch LSIs
Re: 65 hz high pass filter
« Reply #6 on: 25 Sep 2020, 12:32 pm »
I would not high pass at all with those speakers, but I don't listen at concert levels.