Any Stax owners out there? (A breif review submitted)

Freo-1

I keep having this on again/off again relationship with headphones.  The last expensive headphones I had was a pair of Tesla T1's, which are great headphones, BUT, I found them to be less enjoyable than speakers.  So, ended up swapping them out.
Been using Sony MDR 7506's, which are nice considering the low cost.  They got my interest piqued again for better headphones, so started looking around for deals.  I have always liked what ESL phones could achieve, so went looking in that direction.
Wound up with a near new Stax SRS 4040 II system for a very good price.  This setup has the 404 Signature phones and SRM 006tII drive unit.
http://www.stax.co.jp/Export/SRS4040II.html

So, who has Stax phones here?  What's the consensus on them?  Haven't noticed much about Stax in the Headphone circle here. 
« Last Edit: 22 Aug 2013, 11:39 pm by Freo-1 »

dB Cooper

Re: Any Stax owners out there?
« Reply #1 on: 15 Aug 2013, 02:25 am »
Probably not too many people spending $5500 for cans which is what some of their models cost. They had them at the Woo Audio room at CAF but I didn't try them on (no point giving myself an itch I can't scratch.)

Would like a little more info, especially from someone experienced with T1-level hardware. How about a review when you've had some more time with them.

Headphones are definitely a different listening experience. Don't know anything about your playback chain, but have you used any crossfeed (either hardware or software based?) Sometimes I use it, sometimes not, but many find that it provides a more natural soundstage and reduces listening fatigue.

Freo-1

« Reply #2 on: 15 Aug 2013, 08:54 pm »
Well, the phones I picked up were a LOT less than 5 K to be sure!   In fact, Stax offers a fair amount of headphones that are moderately priced (compared to other higher end cans out there).  :lol:

I had a pair of Stax headphones years ago, and remember that they were very musical and enjoyable.  In fact, they just seemed to provide a more transparent and cleaner presentation of music than any of the dynamic cans of the day.  I would think that headphone enthusiasts would take to ESL phones rather well.  Maybe with the desire for portability, folks don't consider them as much.?

I plan to run the headphone amp straight from a Yamaha CD-S2000 SACD/CD unit.  I'll try both the balanced and RCA inputs from the player to see if there is a noticeable difference.  I suspect not, but we will see.  I also have a Modwright Oppo 95 (tube) that I'll try out as well.  My guess is that the Yamaha will be as good or better (SACD) for this application. 
The cross feed idea has merit.  I've seen some of those occasionally for sale, including ones made by Stax.   If I keep this long term, I'll look into that more.

Lastly, will post an update once I get some time with it, and will provide some comparisons to the T-1's.   Should be fun!

SteveFord

• Volunteer
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #3 on: 15 Aug 2013, 11:39 pm »
I've tried a few of the well reviewed headphones but then I put on my old Stax Sigmas and wonder why I ever bought the AKGs or Beyerdynamics or what have you.
The Stax sound is where it's at for me and I would like to get one of their current models to supplement the old weird ear boxes.

fsimms

« Reply #4 on: 16 Aug 2013, 12:57 am »
I bought a pair of Stax earphones 40 years ago.  I still use them today.  I have them hooked up through an amp to my computer.  They still sound fine.  :thumb:

Bob

milford3

« Reply #5 on: 16 Aug 2013, 01:27 am »
Forty years?  Wow!

dB Cooper

« Reply #6 on: 16 Aug 2013, 03:50 am »
I've tried a few of the well reviewed headphones but then I put on my old Stax Sigmas and wonder why I ever bought the AKGs or Beyerdynamics or what have you.
The Stax sound is where it's at for me and I would like to get one of their current models to supplement the old weird ear boxes.
I think you just dig planar transducers Steve; could that be possible?  :scratch:

SteveFord

• Volunteer
« Reply #7 on: 16 Aug 2013, 05:01 am »
That could very well be it!
I'd have to blame the Stax Sigmas as I bought those long before I blew up my JBLs for the final time.
They sounded right to me back then and do the same 30 years later.

Freo-1

« Reply #8 on: 16 Aug 2013, 12:25 pm »
The Stax headphones are known to be long lasting and durable.

I was reading an article about Stax the other day, where the author was explaining that Capitol records used Stax headphones to conduct all the studio work for many years.   Then, somewhere in the 80's, they went cheap, and threw out their headphones overnight and started using Sony models (much like some penny pinching studios using Yamaha NS-10 speakers instead of the more expensive performers such as LS3/5 or ATC monitors). 

Funnehaha

« Reply #9 on: 16 Aug 2013, 12:48 pm »
I've had my Stax headphones since the mid-80's. The best way to listen to music [for me] is to cue up the record a little before the song you actually want to listen to critically, put on the Staxes and turn up the volume on the headphone amp to a comfortable level. Then when the song starts, turn up the volume on the preamp so that the speakers add to the soundfield. Wow.

Stereo image? You-are-there emotional impact? Oh yeah....

Freo-1

« Reply #10 on: 20 Aug 2013, 09:44 pm »
The headphones arrived yesterday.  Changed out the 6CG7 Sovtek tubes for a pair of low noise RCA black plates, and hooked it up for some initial listening. 

Will post a detailed review in a week or so, but so far, vary impressive.  The open and extremely clean, fast, and airy performance is a step apart from any dynamic headphone I've ever tried.  Compared to the excellent Beyer T1 cans, the Stax presents the music with a quieter and more natural presence.  One can hear deeper into the mix, but it's presented in a manner that sounds natural.  No doubt the dedicated headphone amp helps with this.  These have NO hiss whatsoever, and the music is presented with the blackest of backgrounds I've ever experienced (and remember, this is with a tubed output).   :o

SteveFord

• Volunteer
« Reply #11 on: 20 Aug 2013, 10:41 pm »
Funnehaha,
My old adaptor box for the Sigmas has an inbetween setting so you can get the Sigmas and the stereo going at the same time.
That is the ticket.
Freo-1,
Congratulations on your purchase!
I keep telling AJZepp to quit screwing around and buy some Stax headphones but you just can't tell that guy anything.

Funnehaha

« Reply #12 on: 21 Aug 2013, 01:26 am »
Steve,

Interesting...hmmm, because my Staxes aren't "closed-back" and do not isolate me from any sounds in the listening room, I'm listening to both the 'phones and the speakers at about an equally-perceived level when I'm getting the "wow" experience. i suppose I could play with the balance on the concentric gain knob on the Stax, and the balance knob on the preamp and maybe move the soundfield around a little, but I'd probably have to be reaaaallly bored to go through that trouble.

Is that what you're talking about?

SteveFord

• Volunteer
« Reply #13 on: 21 Aug 2013, 01:44 am »
When the box is set to the middle position it's about 50/50 which sounds like what you're describing.
The box has headphone A/headphone and stereo/headphone B on it for the three settings.

Freo-1

« Reply #14 on: 21 Aug 2013, 09:17 pm »
Funnehaha,
My old adaptor box for the Sigmas has an inbetween setting so you can get the Sigmas and the stereo going at the same time.
That is the ticket.
Freo-1,
I keep telling AJZepp to quit screwing around and buy some Stax headphones but you just can't tell that guy anything.

Thanks, and I agree with the advice about trying out or getting Stax headphones.   Can't believe just how enjoyable these are.   I don't think I've heard any speakers that sound as clear or open as these.  The amazing thing is that these are the square in the middle of the line (upper end of the middle).  I never was a headphone guy before this setup.  Now, I will be using these fairly often. 

Can't even imagine what the top of the line would sound like.  :lol:

SteveFord

• Volunteer
« Reply #15 on: 21 Aug 2013, 10:36 pm »
It sounds like something to avoid listening to at all costs!!!

Freo-1

« Reply #16 on: 21 Aug 2013, 10:42 pm »
It sounds like something to avoid listening to at all costs!!!

Well, it's still cheaper than what some pay for mid level two channel setups   :duh:
When one considers that the sound reproduction is truly world class (and likely better than just about any speakers made, regardless of price), should you not at least listen for yourself?   :o    :lol:
« Last Edit: 22 Aug 2013, 09:13 pm by Freo-1 »

Freo-1

« Reply #17 on: 22 Aug 2013, 11:28 pm »
After listening to these for a few days, I can state without reservation that these are among the finest headphones I've ever heard.  They unquestionably outperform any dynamic headphones I've ever come across, and by a significant margin.  From this point forward, for home listening, I will only ever use ESL phones.  It's difficult to put into prose just how different (and better) these phones sound compared to dynamic phones.  Come to think of it, would be hard pressed to come up with speakers that provide a more natural balanced and detailed presentation.
There are a number of aspects that grab the listener all at once: 

1) The TOTAL absence of grain with the sound.  The treble is incredibly detailed, with outstanding pitch definition, without being offensive.   No listener fatigue with these phones.  One can listen for hours with pleasant enjoyable bliss.

2) An open, transparent soundstage.  While headphones can't image like speakers, these are very good at presenting the presentation outside and around the head area. 

3) A blissful absence of any breakup/distortion/or compression with well recorded material.  One would struggle mightily to come up with speakers that could even come close to matching what the Stax phones can achieve.  Instruments sound very real.  Horns, pianos. strings, vocals are produced with absolute life like clarity and image.

4) The Bass is somewhat unique for a headphone.  It gets very deep, BUT, no one would ever accuse the phones of being bass heavy.  Rather, they provide bass much more like one would experience in a symphony hall.  Again, incredibly clean, with outstanding pitch definition.

I never thought I could warm up to headphones, but these have changed my mind.  While Stax headphones are not cheap, they are SO good, one could make a convincing argument that they provide excellent performance for the funds spent. 

Lastly, if you are a headphone type, you OWE it to yourself to at least audition them.  I'm sure there will be a few who may not like them, but the numbers will be very low.  A reference audio product if there ever was one. 
« Last Edit: 23 Aug 2013, 02:45 am by Freo-1 »

ajzepp

« Reply #18 on: 24 Aug 2013, 01:51 pm »
Funnehaha,
That is the ticket.
Freo-1,

:lol: