Audio GD NFB-12

wushuliu

Re: Audio GD NFB-12
« Reply #20 on: 26 Dec 2010, 07:38 am »
I'm sure you won't be able to resist modding it :)

I'm interested in the NFB-11 too actually. Please do update with what you find out about availability.

Argh. Next batch not shipping til next month ...

HT cOz

« Reply #21 on: 26 Dec 2010, 08:38 pm »
You could always join me with the NFB-3, shipping next week  :icon_twisted:

wushuliu

« Reply #22 on: 26 Dec 2010, 08:41 pm »
You could always join me with the NFB-3, shipping next week  :icon_twisted:

Actually that's what I'm contemplating ...

LejfK

« Reply #23 on: 27 Dec 2010, 02:43 am »
I was thinking about setting up a small, simple, quality bedroom system and this may fit the bill. How about one of these set up as a dac/preamp being fed by an AppleTV (streaming from a Mac mini in the main system controlled by my IPad) and directly feeding a pair of powered Audioengine or Swan speakers? Thoughts/suggestions?

HT cOz

« Reply #24 on: 28 Dec 2010, 02:26 am »
I think that would work nicely. You could also get some headphones. Those guys on head fi love their phones.

wushuliu

« Reply #25 on: 28 Dec 2010, 09:55 pm »
I put an order in for the nfb3. Found some good feedback on stereo.net.au. forum comparing to pricier dacs. The price is too good to pass up. With those features I'd think a brand name would equivalent would be $1k or more... especially with that power supply. Hope I don't have to wait too long for it.

HT cOz

« Reply #26 on: 29 Dec 2010, 02:46 am »
Great find on Stereo Net!  I'm hopefull that I can live with this DAC for a long time!

Sparky14

« Reply #27 on: 30 Dec 2010, 05:00 pm »
Looks like audio-gd is abandoning the ES9018 chip, apparently the required order size is too much for them to carry so many DAC chips.

So, the NFB-12 is now the defacto standard small form factor DAC, and the stock of few made NFB-11s are collectors items or dinosaurs.

HT cOz

« Reply #28 on: 30 Dec 2010, 09:09 pm »
Wow that seems crazy. There is a lot of interest in that chip and they have a number of DACs built around it.

wushuliu

« Reply #29 on: 30 Dec 2010, 09:33 pm »
Wow that seems crazy. There is a lot of interest in that chip and they have a number of DACs built around it.

I think they only had 2 or 3 models with that chip. The announcement seems to also suggest that the sound of the WM8741 is preferred ("So consider the sound quality (taste of mine) and the market feedback")  of the two. There was also a statement made in their native forum indicating that there will be fewer or no new products introduced in the coming year and that the focus will be on learning and improving the business side of things, a 6moons review(?)... glad i jumped in now, the bargain pricing isn't going to last forever.

Translated: In 2011, I'll stop all the major product design, focusing on learning management, further improve product quality and production efficiency. 在 2010 年中,我们已安排一位同事到中山大学参加 MBA 硕士学习班。 In 2010, we have arranged to participate in one of my colleagues to Zhongshan University MBA Master classes. 而我本人,也开始多花时间在生产及销售管理上。 And I also began to spend more time in the production and sales management.

HT cOz

« Reply #30 on: 30 Dec 2010, 10:50 pm »
Interesting. Looks like we got in on he the right chip and the right price. I can't wait to get it all hooked up. :D

It seems like they could have real potential with their business.

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
« Reply #31 on: 31 Dec 2010, 02:33 am »
How do they sound??? I'd love the ESS version to try...anybody get one??

Sparky14

« Reply #32 on: 31 Dec 2010, 03:41 am »
My NFB-11 (ESS version) just arrived in LA today. Burning in now, will post impressions in a few days.

eclein

• Volunteer
« Reply #33 on: 31 Dec 2010, 03:43 am »
cool, any out of the box thoughts??

wushuliu

« Reply #34 on: 31 Dec 2010, 04:37 am »
cool, any out of the box thoughts??

you did catch the bit above that they're discontinued, right?

eclein

• Volunteer
« Reply #35 on: 31 Dec 2010, 05:05 am »
Yep.... If one pops up somewhere used or just being sold to sell I want to know if they sound good and if I should jump. I can't afford an EE DAC or any other current DACS with the ESS chip and I missed this thread until today. 

HT cOz

« Reply #36 on: 31 Dec 2010, 02:44 pm »
Yep.... If one pops up somewhere used or just being sold to sell I want to know if they sound good and if I should jump. I can't afford an EE DAC or any other current DACS with the ESS chip and I missed this thread until today.

I know where you are coming from because I too was thinking that the ESS chip must be the chip to build a DAC around.  However, they still have the NFB-12 for $200 and NFB-3 for $300 up on the website price list.

Ultimately I read what was out there and decided the chips were not all that important compared to the other parts of the DAC.  Lampizator has said the bass in the Wolfson was the best of any he has heard so there are tradeoffs anyway you go.  It appears that one of the tradeoffs with the ESS chip is that the computer interface is VERY picky, so picky that Kingwa has dropped it. (My interpretation)

Here is the money line from Lampizator " can just fantasize how this DAC would play in I2S mode which is available on board, as well as dsd and all possible formats.
All in all - this is the finest DAC money can buy - with addition of a tube stage - you will never need a better DAC. It belong in the same class as the best ones including the king of them all - Sabre 32. The distance between them is so small, that I finally decided to call them equal."

I also think that these prices reflect a discount in that you give them your money and don't really know when you will get your DAC.  I have no problem with that as I am confident it will be delivered and I can wait.

Kind Regards,
Robert

Sparky14

« Reply #37 on: 3 Jan 2011, 03:30 pm »

wushuliu

« Reply #38 on: 5 Jan 2011, 01:14 am »
I know where you are coming from because I too was thinking that the ESS chip must be the chip to build a DAC around.  However, they still have the NFB-12 for $200 and NFB-3 for $300 up on the website price list.

Ultimately I read what was out there and decided the chips were not all that important compared to the other parts of the DAC.  Lampizator has said the bass in the Wolfson was the best of any he has heard so there are tradeoffs anyway you go.  It appears that one of the tradeoffs with the ESS chip is that the computer interface is VERY picky, so picky that Kingwa has dropped it. (My interpretation)

Here is the money line from Lampizator " can just fantasize how this DAC would play in I2S mode which is available on board, as well as dsd and all possible formats.
All in all - this is the finest DAC money can buy - with addition of a tube stage - you will never need a better DAC. It belong in the same class as the best ones including the king of them all - Sabre 32. The distance between them is so small, that I finally decided to call them equal."

I also think that these prices reflect a discount in that you give them your money and don't really know when you will get your DAC.  I have no problem with that as I am confident it will be delivered and I can wait.

Kind Regards,
Robert

Ears are the final arbiter but all reviews I've read using the Sabre chip point to a sound signature that may not be for me. Or is it? Gah. Too many choices!

Just got an email that the NFB's on its way!

HT cOz

« Reply #39 on: 5 Jan 2011, 04:19 am »
Ears are the final arbiter but all reviews I've read using the Sabre chip point to a sound signature that may not be for me. Or is it? Gah. Too many choices!

Just got an email that the NFB's on its way!

Thats awesome!  I changed my order on Dec 22nd, when did you get your NFB-3 order in?  I stoped by the Magnolia Hifi shop tonight, its been so long since I had my system together that it sounded great.  This has been so long in the making for me... better go do some more work on the room and speakers to get ready for the DAC landing! :thumb: