Omega Super 3i Monitors

MPSchenck

Omega Super 3i Monitors
« on: 17 Apr 2015, 10:50 pm »
This is my first post here, yoohoo! 

I'm typing this from my iPad in the car, the wife wanted to go shopping today, so please forgive any typing errors.

I recently got into vinyl, my first foray into the format. I grew up with it, but I never really paid that much attention when I was a kid.

The turntable guys over on vinylengine.com steered me in the right direction and I ended up getting a Sony PS-X55S that was built in 1984 fully auto and had been newly serviced by the guys at oaktreevintage.com. I've finally settled on a Denon DL-110 HOMC cartridge for the 'table and it sounds amazing.
I picked up a Bellari VP130 tube phono preamp and after some rolling have a very nice Telefunken 12ax7 in it. I'm using decent quality AudioQuest RCAs and speaker cable throughout.

Let me fill you in on my current speaker situation since that's what I'm asking about. A little background. I've been around the head-if.org way and have and have had some pretty nice headphones and IEMs but I have known practically nothing about speakers and speaker amps. So wanting to listen to my new records as soon as possible I ordered a set of Audioengine A5+s from Amazon, they are powered so I didn't have to worry about the amp, pretty much plug and play. They have really great reviews and I don't absolutely hate them. However, the bass is way too heavy and things get really murky during complicated sections. I know I can get better sound from similarly size speakers without breaking the bank.

So I bought a Miniwatt N3 (3.5wpc @ 8 ohms) and a set of matched Telefunken EL84s and another Telefunken 12ax7 to use as amplification. I've been looking at some HE bookshelf speakers like the Zu Omen Bookshelf (impedance it too high @ 12 ohms) and the Decware DM946 (impedance it too low @ 4 ohms).

So all that's left in my price range (around $1000) at this point is the Tekton Mini Lore Monitors and the Omega Super 7 Monitor MK2s. Both have very similar stats that I'm looking for: high efficiency where both are 95db sensitivity and 8 ohms.

Of the single driver with whizzers on the Omegas I'm wondering can they produce sound better than a dedicated tweeter on the Tektons? The Tekton Lores get great reviews and most everyone speaks highly of the Omegas, but I can't find a review on the either of these exact models. Are the Super 7 Monitor MK2s REALLY $370 better than the Tektons?

A few necessities. My listening preferences span the gamut but it's really thin in the hip hop and modern country genres. It's mostly indie and classic rock with a dash of Norwegian electronica. That being said I am not a bass head, I like my IEMs with a flat response. I don't need the feel the bass in my chest or anything.

My listening location. I have my current set up on one of those IKEA Kallax shelves on it side with the TT in the middle and the speakers on the outside toed in a hair. I sit about 6 feet back from it where my normal listening decibels max out at about 87db. The speakers are currently about 48" apart and 8"-10" from the wall. This is where my new speakers would go at least initially, but I could be persuaded to get some stands if necessary. It's just so neat and compact the way it is set up currently.  The room is about 20x20 and sports thick carpet and drop ceilings. It's a finished basement man cave I also happen to share with my daughter's large indoor toys.

I would prefer to stick with "bookshelf" sized "monitors" since I don't really want to take up the space or need the volume of floorstanding loudspeakers.

A note on auditioning. I live in SE Tennessee and the closest thing we have to a hi-fi audiophile store is the local Best Buy so if I absolutely positively had to listen to some speakers the best I could do would be 2 hours to Atlanta or 2.5 hours to Nashville. Not optimal.

I'm clearly leaning towards the Omegas (that's why I chose this circle) but I'm wondering if the Tektons aren't as good for less coin.

Some other input I almost forgot about before hitting the Post button. I'm not huge on the DIY stuff. I could do that, I have the tools and everything, but I can't lie to myself and say that I would happy with the appearance of the finished product. The speakers would, in short, look like crap, and no matter how great it sounded I couldn't bear to sit in from of them and have to look at them. That's not to say I'm overly concerned with aesthetics. I'm not looking for Avantgarde or Cain & Cain or anything.

Every time I set out to research some new HE speakers I saw mentioned somewhere I invariably come across at least a few suggestions for some model of Klipsch.  I know their newer HE speakers aren't really as sensitive as claimed and their older HE stuff just doesn't interest me, at all, really.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.  Maybe I over looked a brand or model, or maybe I'm about to waste a lot of money, or maybe I need to just shut up and order?       
« Last Edit: 3 Jun 2015, 03:58 pm by MPSchenck »

RDavidson

Re: Omega Super 7 Monitor MK2s or Tekton Mini Lore Monitors
« Reply #1 on: 18 Apr 2015, 05:16 am »
I think Omegas are fantastic. I find difficulty going wrong with them based on my experience with the Super 3xrs and Louis Chochos. It's good you are already into high efficiency speakers and understand their strengths. BUT, if you have never listened to true single driver speakers, you need to. Note, not all single driver speakers are built to the standard of sound or craftsmanship as Omegas. Those that are truly comparable cost MUCH more. So, you see, the idea of pointing out the price differential between the Tektons and the Omegas is moot. Price doesn't necessarily inform overall value. This isn't a jab at Tekton. I'm just saying that to understand the level of sophistication behind Omegas, you really have to hear them.

To be 100% honest, if you want to get other points of view, not just from Omega owners, this thread should be moved to the Enclosures Circle. Even in the Enclosure Circle, I think you'll still get quite a bit of positive response from Omega owners.

MPSchenck

« Reply #2 on: 18 Apr 2015, 06:54 am »
I think Omegas are fantastic. I find difficulty going wrong with them based on my experience with the Super 3xrs and Louis Chochos. It's good you are already into high efficiency speakers and understand their strengths. BUT, if you have never listened to true single driver speakers, you need to. Note, not all single driver speakers are built to the standard of sound or craftsmanship as Omegas. Those that are truly comparable cost MUCH more. So, you see, the idea of pointing out the price differential between the Tektons and the Omegas is moot. Price doesn't necessarily inform overall value. This isn't a jab at Tekton. I'm just saying that to understand the level of sophistication behind Omegas, you really have to hear them.

I've been reading through all the threads on the Omega Circle since I posted this earlier and I think I've read myself into buying the Super 3XRSs. They are only $100 more and seem to provide better [read: more] bass. Especially since I would likely spend $200-$300 on stands for the Super 7 MK2s. Do you use a sub with your Super 3XRSs?

I've never, to my knowledge, heard "true single driver speakers" and after doing a bit of reading I'm sure where I could go even remotely close to do so. Would you expect hearing single driver speakers in person to turn me off to them or make me a believer?

I know the price difference really isn't where the decision is made. The price difference I pointed is only significant really because that is was about what I paid for the Audioengines I currently have.

To be 100% honest, if you want to get other points of view, not just from Omega owners, this thread should be moved to the Enclosures Circle. Even in the Enclosure Circle, I think you'll still get quite a bit of positive response from Omega owners.

I understand.  Like I said in my original post I'm leaning heavily to the Omegas anyway.

It's pretty easy to find posts from Tekton owners who have compared them to Zu speakers, but it's been a little more difficult findings posts where they've compared with Omegas. That was part of the reason I chose to post here.

Thanks for the input!

beowulf

« Reply #3 on: 18 Apr 2015, 08:01 am »
MPSchenck, welcome to the Omega forums.  I have the RS7 speakers, but in a tower design and these are the best speakers that I have had in my system that have also included brands such as Vienna Acoustics and Dali.

If you've never heard a single driver speaker you are in for a treat.  Single drivers speakers (along with electrostatics) are the most coherent and fast speakers out there.  However the single driver Omegas are much easier to drive and have better bass response than most electrostatics that I've heard (that didn't include a sub). 

Since there are no crossovers (i.e. passive caps/resistors) that interject their own tone and rob power from your amplifier the first watt theory applies generously to efficient and crossoverless designs such as Omega and IMO they are about as close and pure as you can get to the music coming from your amplifier.  This is especially important to those who like to roll tubes as they are a very revealing speaker and it is very easy to notice changes within your system.  So you have a speaker that is very easy to drive (only needing a couple of good watts) and also has incredible imaging, speed and dynamics ... a very winning combination IMO  :thumb:

I was in the same boat as you I had both Tekton and Omega on my short list.  I chose the Omegas for the reason already mentioned, but also there were some customer service issues and comments from owners that it was taking 6-9 months or more to receive their speakers from Tekton and when they did finally arrive they would often be missing things such as grills.  I read that when customers did confront Tekton about missed delivery dates and other items that didn't ship they were often ignored or snubbed.  I'm not sure if this was just growing pains and/or if Tekton has cleaned up their CS and QA issues, but that was a determining factor for not purchasing from them as well.

MPSchenck

« Reply #4 on: 18 Apr 2015, 08:57 am »
I was in the same boat as you I had both Tekton and Omega on my short list.  I chose the Omegas for the reason already mentioned, but also there were some customer service issues and comments from owners that it was taking 6-9 months or more to receive their speakers from Tekton and when they did finally arrive they would often be missing things such as grills.  I read that when customers did confront Tekton about missed delivery dates and other items that didn't ship they were often ignored or snubbed.  I'm not sure if this was just growing pains and/or if Tekton has cleaned up their CS and QA issues, but that was a determining factor for not purchasing from them as well.

I've read a few threads about Tektons lack of customer service or support after the sale and at least one warranty, dare I say, horror story. So far I've only seen 1 person post anything even remotely negative about Omega support and even that was questionable.

I've pretty much made my mind up for Omegas. I'm still kind of waffling between the Super 7 Monitor MK2s and the Super 3XRSs.
I'm going to start an email for them tomorrow. I'm assuming through some exchanges with them (Louis) I'll be put on right one for me.

Could someone tell me about how far I'll need to have them from the wall please? I'll probably need to rearrange some things.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #5 on: 18 Apr 2015, 10:57 am »
From his postings, Eric (Tekton) has been going through rough domestic/legal times trying associated with his start up, but now appears on the come back.

Eric uses professional drivers (able to handle huge wattage), Louis offers custom drivers with much better veneering.

Note that the 3XRS sits low (driver centered 27 inches from floor), so not adept for close placement yet can be easily blocked/hidden by furnishings.

Yes, please do listen to a good single driver design before purchasing, reading is not hearing for yourself.   In general terms single driver designs have a different presentation, ideal for small jazz/classical ensembles, very coherent and great imaging/resolution; but have limited power handling/ultimate output, struggle to present proper scale for large venues/performances, with high efficiency normally comes tonal coloration.  There is no perfect speaker, all have trade offs, the informed/intelligent owner chooses the best fit.

Surprised you walked away from powered/active speakers so quickly (the Audioengine A5 is a very pedestrian choice).  At the price of the 3XRS you could have any number of very good quality active designs that should be able to fill your room (certainly at 87 dB) and provide a sound closer to what you're used to.  The challenge with active monitors is that most are designed for studio work (finding the nits with a dry, fatiguing sound) versus home entertaining (with whatever quirks satisfies the buyer).

steve f

« Reply #6 on: 18 Apr 2015, 11:18 am »
Never auditioned any Tekton speaker. I have experience with Omega gear, and another single driver system, Horn Shoppe.

I'm a speaker builder of over thirty years experience. I've  used some of the same drivers Tekton and a few others employ. So I feel pretty qualified.

Simple advice for your system. Although pro drivers can be effectively driven by small tube amps, they aren't really happy with them. I'd stick to the single driver concept for any small amp. Besides if you really want to you can add subs or super tweeters should you feel the need to experiment.

I see this one as almost a no brainer. Good luck, and please tell the forum of your decision.

steve

geezerizing

« Reply #7 on: 18 Apr 2015, 11:54 am »
I own Tekton OB4.5, Lore S, and Omega super3xrs. I have also heard mini-lore in a friend's (much more modest) system. The omegas are new, and not quite broken in, so I'll do little real comparison, just first impressions.

The tektons (other than the ob4.5) are about drive and bass. They sound best on the loud side. The omegas are about speed and detail. As of now, they get a tad harsh when pushed, but that may change w further breakin.

I feel the 3xrs need a subwoofer. On their own, they do have bass down to 50hz, but the sound needs more foundation, more fullness. To use the old absolute sound HP yin/yang, the tektons are dark and enveloping yin, the omegas are a clear honest yang.

As for the ob4.5, which is basically a single driver system - no bass, fostex coloration, yet beatufully detailed and engaging. With a woofer, they are highly satisfying. It was on the basis of the ob4.5 that I am hoping to replace the Lore S with Omegas. I suspect that when I get a subwoofer, I'll be happy.

Hope this helps!

RDavidson

« Reply #8 on: 18 Apr 2015, 02:58 pm »
I agree with the general assessment here.

Omegas are about refinement, purity and transparency, in a skillfully crafted yet sophistocated and minimalistic form.

While I don't believe a sub is a requirement for the 3xrs, it comes down to what types of music you like. My music preferences can vary quite a bit. I might listen to small ensemble jazz in the morning, then switch to electronic music in the afternoon. With that said, a sub is a fantastic addition. Much of what JLM stated, primarily regarding scale, is rectified with a sub.

If you like to play rock at concert levels (LOUD) we all know there are better choices for that....like Klipsch, old JBL, and perhaps Zu and Tekton (which are founded on pro drivers). The tradeoff with those types of designs, sometimes, is that they don't sound their best unless you play them at least somewhat loud......which can be fun for awhile, but not for relaxed extended listening.

As JLM said, there is no perfect speaker, but boy, Omegas do so many things very right. In a typical domestic environment, at sane listening levels, I'll reiterate that I don't think one can really go wrong.

Talk to Louis. He'll be able to help you make the right choice between 3xrs and 7 monitors. My guess is that they sound quite similar. The 3xrs will have the edge in speed and transparency. The 7 will have a slightly fuller midrange and can play louder. Bass is probably very similar.

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #9 on: 18 Apr 2015, 04:31 pm »
I often see comparisons between Zu or Tekton vs Omega and I don't feel they are anywhere close to similar. Zu and Tekton use pro sound drivers, like more power and can ply louder. I've heard a Zu + Sub system that could work as a PA system for a small dance venue, Omegas will not play near as loud but they are more refined and more suitable for a smaller space playing at reasonable volumes and work well with much less powerful amplifiers.

MPSchenck

« Reply #10 on: 18 Apr 2015, 11:22 pm »
All great input, folks! I appreciate you all taking the time to respond.

As a couple of you have suggested and others on other forums, I need to try out some full range singe driver speakers first. Since I can't audition, I think, I'm going a build a set I was turned on to from madisound (http://bit.ly/1D0j3df) $390 shipped. All I have to do is glue and screw them together.

I know they aren't the same thing as the Omegas, but [after the crazy long 100+ hour break in time] do you guys they would give me the sense of a full range single driver speaker? It seems that Omega used to use the same or similar driver, Fostex FE126En?

They have a 93db sensitivity so I could burn-in the N3 (with the stock tubes), and in the event they end up sounding nice I'm sure I can have them finished or covered for not a lot of money.  If I don't care for them or the full range single driver sound they should be easy enough to unload and recoup some cash.

I think that sounds like a plan. Any flaws I'm missing?

Note: I'm sorry if posting that retail link is against the rules. I figured it was ok since I'm not selling anything.

RDavidson

« Reply #11 on: 19 Apr 2015, 01:24 am »
You could always trial a pair of Omegas too.
You'd just be out shipping I believe. So you could potentially save yourself money going this route vs building a kit then trying to resell.

Another option is to see if there are any Omega owners near you who wouldn't mind having you over to hear them. I think most ACers are pretty generous in this regard.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #12 on: 19 Apr 2015, 01:35 am »
You could always trial a pair of Omegas too.
You'd just be out shipping I believe. So you could potentially save yourself money going this route vs building a kit then trying to resell.

Another option is to see if there are any Omega owners near you who wouldn't mind having you over to hear them. I think most ACers are pretty generous in this regard.

+1

The linked speakers are rear loaded horns, not ported design and of a driver that is only vaguely similar to what Louis used 12 years (2 generations of drivers) ago.  Looks like a fun project, but it'd be an apples to oranges comparison.

steve f

« Reply #13 on: 19 Apr 2015, 03:23 am »
The problem with the Madisound speaker is that it vents to the front (higher distortion) and the horn expansion rate doesn't look very accurate. The fostex FE126en is a good driver that has wide range with a somewhat rolled off high end. I'd personally contact Louis and talk to him about his speakers. Please remember that any kit speakers, even the best, are kits, and have much lower value when it's time for resale.

steve

MPSchenck

« Reply #14 on: 23 Apr 2015, 05:06 am »
I just wanted to let everyone know [read: announce] in the thread that I made up my mind, called this afternoon, and ordered a set of Omegas.

After speaking with Louis a few minutes I ended up landing on the Super 3i Monitors in Graphite Tweed. He is a super nice guy to talk to, as everyone here has said. 

The reasons I chose these are many fold. A few of those reasons...
I'm already using monitors and the Super 3i is actually a little bigger.
My near field listening position and low listening volume.
Low outlay for what will be my first set of full range single diver speakers.

Only a 2-3 week wait until they ship. I'm not going to list the amount, but lets just say his shipping quote was unexpectedly and appreciatively low.
He told me the shipping amount, there was a bit of a pause and I said, "Are you sure?" to which he responded "Yeah, don't worry about it." 

I'm totally psyched!  I still need a few odds and ends like 4 low mass bananas and 4 spades to finish my speaker wire, but otherwise I'm ready.   

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #15 on: 23 Apr 2015, 07:01 am »
Hi, MPSchenk.

Congratulations on your decision. I'd love to hear your impressions once you receive your new speakers. Then, let them break in a bit, and post more thoughts.

I'm jealous of your low shipping costs. I live another 2000 miles west and in an out of the way city, so I get to pay a tad more.

After I listen at Canada Rob's showroom, I'll finally know what's got everyone so excited. That, or I'll discover I'm tone deaf.  :lol:

Michael

Canada Rob

• Industry Participant
    • Industry Participant
« Reply #16 on: 23 Apr 2015, 02:54 pm »
I own Tekton OB4.5, Lore S, and Omega super3xrs. I have also heard mini-lore in a friend's (much more modest) system. The omegas are new, and not quite broken in, so I'll do little real comparison, just first impressions.

The tektons (other than the ob4.5) are about drive and bass. They sound best on the loud side. The omegas are about speed and detail. As of now, they get a tad harsh when pushed, but that may change w further breakin.

I feel the 3xrs need a subwoofer. On their own, they do have bass down to 50hz, but the sound needs more foundation, more fullness. To use the old absolute sound HP yin/yang, the tektons are dark and enveloping yin, the omegas are a clear honest yang.

As for the ob4.5, which is basically a single driver system - no bass, fostex coloration, yet beatufully detailed and engaging. With a woofer, they are highly satisfying. It was on the basis of the ob4.5 that I am hoping to replace the Lore S with Omegas. I suspect that when I get a subwoofer, I'll be happy.

Hope this helps!
Hello geezerizing,

Welcome to the Omega AudioCircle and welcome to Omega ownership and hopefully to many years of enjoyment.  I have had more than one pair of Super 3XRS go through my place and lack of bass has never been an issue.   :scratch: 

What amp are you running with them?

MPSchenck

« Reply #17 on: 23 Apr 2015, 03:06 pm »
Hi, MPSchenk.

Congratulations on your decision. I'd love to hear your impressions once you receive your new speakers. Then, let them break in a bit, and post more thoughts.

Thanks!

Louis said that break-in was only about 80 hours.  My plan is to burn-in my Miniwatt N3 (using the cheap stock tubes) and the Omegas at the same time, probably 12:00a-6p for 4 days, then switch to the Telefunkens.
Since my set up is in a finished basement, with thick carpet and a drop ceiling, I can't hear the music even at moderate volume, louder than I normally listen, when upstairs. I'll end up listening to them some before they are broken in though.   

Quote from: mresseguie
I'm jealous of your low shipping costs. I live another 2000 miles west and in an out of the way city, so I get to pay a tad more.

I was prepared for it to be a lot more, but I don't exactly live in a major metropolitan area. I'm about 30 minutes north of Chattanooga, TN.

MPSchenck

« Reply #18 on: 15 May 2015, 10:53 pm »
I just wanted to let everyone know [read: announce] in the thread that I made up my mind, called this afternoon, and ordered a set of Omegas.

After speaking with Louis a few minutes I ended up landing on the Super 3i Monitors in Graphite Tweed. He is a super nice guy to talk to, as everyone here has said. 

The reasons I chose these are many fold. A few of those reasons...
I'm already using monitors and the Super 3i is actually a little bigger.
My near field listening position and low listening volume.
Low outlay for what will be my first set of full range single diver speakers.

Only a 2-3 week wait until they ship. I'm not going to list the amount, but lets just say his shipping quote was unexpectedly and appreciatively low.
He told me the shipping amount, there was a bit of a pause and I said, "Are you sure?" to which he responded "Yeah, don't worry about it." 

I'm totally psyched!  I still need a few odds and ends like 4 low mass bananas and 4 spades to finish my speaker wire, but otherwise I'm ready.   

Well, 3 weeks yesterday and I haven't heard anything yet.

rajacat

• Washington State
« Reply #19 on: 15 May 2015, 10:56 pm »
 Why don't you give Louis a call before posting on the forum? :scratch: