AVA HumDinger DC Blocker Available Now! $140

Wayner

Re: AVA HumDinger DC Blocker Available Now! $125
« Reply #40 on: 12 Aug 2013, 06:30 pm »
Dimmers on the same branch circuit as outlets is not a good idea. Although the noise should be more of a buzz then a 60hz hum.

Most dimmers will be out of the circuit when off, but I wonder about some cheapie models.

I know there are electricians that will combine outlets and lights when they are wiring. I think it's a bad idea for several reasons.

Wayner

doctorcilantro

« Reply #41 on: 26 Oct 2013, 02:23 pm »
I assume these can be used after an AC Regenerator which does not block DC, like PS Audio? Or something like a Richard Gray RPGC Pro 400?

I have noticed 2 of my components buzzing chassis, one is tube amp, other is DAC. A little on speakers but not too bad.

Bad is the buzz that comes through when dishwasher is on!

avahifi

« Reply #42 on: 26 Oct 2013, 07:43 pm »
Sure, you can use our HumDinger after your AC regenerator.  I am surprised that there would be any low level DC after the regenerator though.

Frank

Phil

« Reply #43 on: 26 Oct 2013, 09:46 pm »
I am surprised that there would be any low level DC after the regenerator though.
Frank

Could the same be said of an isolation transformer? 

doctorcilantro

« Reply #44 on: 27 Oct 2013, 03:32 am »
I was told by ps audio a p3 would not block dc on lines.

slovell1

« Reply #45 on: 22 Nov 2013, 08:12 pm »
Are the Humdingers still available?

Wayner

« Reply #46 on: 22 Nov 2013, 08:24 pm »
Yes, as far as I know. Call Frank 651-330-9871

Wayner

slovell1

« Reply #47 on: 29 Dec 2013, 04:23 pm »
Darn thing absolutely works as advertised. Completely eliminated the oscillating hum from my amps caused by my plasma tv. Money well spent.

roscoeiii

« Reply #48 on: 29 Dec 2013, 05:09 pm »
Yeah, DC blockers are great if that's your issue. Great to see that it worked for you.

audiogoober

« Reply #49 on: 30 Dec 2013, 04:07 pm »
I just listed two for sale in the trading post. Please PM me if interested. Thanks.

avahifi

« Reply #50 on: 27 Mar 2014, 03:34 pm »
HumDingers are available again.  Our new metal cabinet order arrived from our vendor sooner then expected.

Call us to order.  651-330-9871

Frank Van Alstine

dvb

HumDingers Work!
« Reply #51 on: 3 May 2014, 08:07 pm »
The HumDinger worked solving a long-standing problem with chassis/ transformer hum with some SET monoblocks, the WrightSound WPA3.5 (2A3).  I had tried all kinds of other solutions, like suspending the transformers on rubber grommets, changing tubes, and other AC "conditioners", including a PS Audio UPC200 and an Emotiva unit.  Nothing worked.

I did suspect an AC problem, though:  there wasn't much hum in the morning, but more in the evening, and our townhouse is full of dimmer switches and fluorescent lights with ballasts.

Anyway, the Humdinger cleaned up the hum like a charm. 

This was a somewhat "off-label" use, as the SETs don't use toroidal transformers; but, hey, it worked!

firedog

« Reply #52 on: 9 May 2014, 07:39 am »
A. Just got one of these and it works like a charm. Previously I had intermittent hum/buzz from the transformer. Sometimes none, sometimes a little, sometimes very strong and loud. Now I don't have any.

B. Frank, question: any reason not to put a spike/surge prevention device or a free standing voltage regulator either before the Humdinger or between the Humdinger and the amp? I'm asking because I have some bad power issues occasionally where I live.

C) BTW, for others: AFAIK, the typical symptoms of DC pollution on the line is that it is intermittent, and that it varies in intesity. It can be measured by a pro. But if you don't have that option I was advised to check the situation this way:

1. Wait till you are alone at home. Unplug everything in your home from the wall sockets. Yes, everything.

2. At your fuse box, turn all the breakers to off.

3. Plug in your amp and turn it on  - disconnect from rest of system first, of course.

4. Turn on the switch/breaker that supples power to your amp. Listen for the buzz.

5. Sequentially turn each breaker on and listen each time for the buzz. Continue till all breakers are engaged.

6. If you have no buzz, begin plugging all your devices back in and turning them on. After each one is done, check for buzz. If the buzz begins, you've found your culprit - it could be a computer printer or some other device.

7. If you've engaged everything and have no buzz, then the problem may be DC on the line being created by a neighbor or anything in your area on the same transformer as your place. At my house we suspect the satellite TV installations in the neighborhood. Run your amp for awhile normally and if the buzz starts again, its probably from something external to your home.

Obviously this is easier if you have 2 people, especially in a larger home. But in my home it actually didn't take long to do.

avahifi

« Reply #53 on: 9 May 2014, 02:26 pm »
Note that the HumDinger does have a built in inrush current limiter which protects the power switch in your attached power amplifier from turn on high current transients.  The HumDinger should be used AFTER any associated line conditioner device, not before one of these.

Frank

doctorcilantro

« Reply #54 on: 19 May 2014, 09:57 am »
So I would not plug the Humdinger into the wall, and connect a regenerator...

I was able to fix my previous power issues (massive DC current?) by having an electrician move my Audio circuit to Leg C on a Wye 3-phase network.

The buzzing stopped on all transformers and the DC blockers didn't buzz either, and the buzzing at my 98db/w monitors stopped.

I have everything running into a PS Audio P3 which blocks a little DC...plugged into a basic Cullen modded AC outlet. I also have a CMX-2 but use that as an extension to feed a Lenco and a phono stage.

But after a huge wind storm, I have noticed the P3 buzzing very loudly, which then comes through my speakers, so something must have changed upstream.

maybe I could buy (2) humdingers and connect DAC/Torutga LDR LPSU to one, and connect my two tube amps to the other. Still leaves a powered sub....

AudioGremlin

« Reply #55 on: 31 May 2014, 12:54 pm »
Hi Frank,
Does the Humdinger work on a 240VAC supply or is it only for 115VAC use.
If its only for 115VAC,  do you have any plans to produce a 240V one?
Thanks
Allan

Lefty052347

• AVA Associate
« Reply #56 on: 3 Jun 2014, 01:14 am »
Other than needing the proper plug adapters, the Humdinger is ready for 240 volt operation.

Regards,
Dean

Woolz

« Reply #57 on: 9 Jun 2014, 12:14 pm »
I received my Humdinger last week and wish to note it worked beautifully for me.  Inserted after a PS-Audio P-10 connected to a Line Magnetics 845 SET amp driving Zu Definition4 speakers.  Considerable transformer hum before now quiet as can be.  Thanks Frank!

bajaed

« Reply #58 on: 9 Jun 2014, 02:26 pm »
Frank, I have a buzz in my system only when the Plasma TV is on and only through my turntable that sits right next to the TV. I tried plugging the table into the same strip as the TV bu it didn't help.

One time I unplugged everything, and tried to straighten out the mess of cables a little before plugging back in. The buzz was reduced about 80% but it has since come back. Would your device help?

If not, any ideas?

Thanks!

avahifi

« Reply #59 on: 9 Jun 2014, 02:43 pm »
Our HumDinger will likely help your issue with system hum when the Plasma TV is turned on.

Plasma TVs are notorious for generating low level DC on the attached AC power lines.  The HumDinger is designed to defeat this problem.

Remember, we have a 30 day satisfaction guarantee (on all AVA products we sell, new or used) so if it does not work for you just return it for a refund.

Regards,

Frank Van Alstine