Maya & Vsonics public outing?

raptor

Maya & Vsonics public outing?
« on: 22 Apr 2010, 05:47 am »
I heard a rumour (after the event unfortunately) that the Melbourne Audio Club was privileged to have a demonstration of the new amp and the Vsonics last night.

Apparently they were to be teamed up with a Rega Saturn CD player and a Passlabs X2.5 pre-amp.

Did anyone attend?

Hugh, how was it received?

AKSA

Re: Maya & Vsonics public outing?
« Reply #1 on: 22 Apr 2010, 07:17 am »
Hi Neil,

Many thanks for your post, and welcome back after a spell!   :rock:

I did not broadcast this, perhaps I should have.  It went very, very well, beyond my wildest dreams, in fact.

The Diana Krall 'Temptations' number and Bach's Toccata and Fugue in D minor received standing ovations from the club.    :banana piano:

I like to think it was my witty, entertaining patter, but I think it was the sound quality....

It filled the room effortlessly with about 110 people present - a huge turnout - and no one in the room complained of missing out because of the room acoustics, itself an achievement as it's a square box with all the usual appalling public acoustics.

The 12" sub, powered by a LF100 amp, BOTH channels, one on each voice coil, and using passive crossovers, gave wonderful integration and tectonic power.   :weights:  Every cycle of the 32' Diapason stop on the organ from Carlo Curley was audible, it was La Stupenda......

One guy said he'd attended almost every meet of the MAC in about 15 years and this was the best sound he'd heard by a wide margin.

At the end of it all, Matt, a close friend and the President, handed me a box of very nice chocolates, which Steve and I had devoured by the time we'd driven the 15 miles home!   :drool:

My thanks to all who attended, and who were kind enough to support me in this endeavour - I was still soldering interconnects at 6pm - in particular, Laurie, the VSonics/Big BEN designer, Steve, the DJ for the night, James, for his Pass preamp, and David, for his Rega Saturn.   :thankyou:

More on the amp later.   However, it's the EIGHTH iteration of the Maya, now almost complete, and a 150W per channel prototype, though Colin Brown in Canada has one too.  Without his input and constant auditioning none of this would have been possible.  The results are beyond anything I'd expected, still can't believe it.  This is a worthy flagship model with the Soraya a very close second.    :D

A night to remember..... :beer:

Hugh

bhobba

« Reply #2 on: 22 Apr 2010, 07:39 am »
One guy said he'd attended almost every meet of the MAC in about 15 years and this was the best sound he'd heard by a wide margin.

Congratualtions Hugh.  Well Done  :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

More on the amp later.   However, it's the EIGHTH iteration of the Maya, now almost complete, and a 150W per channel prototype, though Colin Brown in Canada has one too.  Without his input and constant auditioning none of this would have been possible.  The results are beyond anything I'd expected, still can't believe it.  This is a worthy flagship model with the Soraya a very close second.    :D

Greatly looking forward to it.  I can see a Maya is my future.  My superannuation is getting closer and closer - its so close I can almost feel it.

Just a little query about another issue.  I have recently been following the thread on the new tranquility dac.  However I find the discussion is veering a little from that dac to general issues about DAC's and the moderators are keen to keep it on track.  Would you mind if a I start a thread here on some dac issues that are floating around in my mind?  Actually it goes a bit beyond DAC's to issues of 32/192 high res recordings, lossless compression software and the computer taking over as the source of choice for audiophiles.  My thoughts are still taking shape on this but I would be very interested in some feedback.

Thanks
Bill

Jens

« Reply #3 on: 22 Apr 2010, 09:42 am »
Hi Hugh,
Congratulations on this achievement! :beer:  :drums:

I think we are all waiting impatiently for more news about both the Maya amp and the Big Ben sub  :green:

By the way, what driver is used in the Big Ben?

raptor

« Reply #4 on: 22 Apr 2010, 09:57 pm »
Hi Neil,

Many thanks for your post, and welcome back after a spell!   :rock:

It has been a while since I've posted or been in contact; with no spare money at the moment I've been avoiding temptation. :green:

I did not broadcast this, perhaps I should have. 

An announcement on the forum would have been handy, I missed the MAC post on SNA until yesterday.

It went very, very well, beyond my wildest dreams, in fact...

Excellent news, I hope the club members were mobbing you afterwards with  sales enquiries.

I like to think it was my witty, entertaining patter, but I think it was the sound quality..

I'm sure your repartee put them in a happy and relaxed frame of mind so they were  well primed to be wowed by the music.

In case you're wondering, my new avatar is a kitten I bought a few months ago; unfortunately I lost my girl from acute kidney failure late last year.

bhobba

« Reply #5 on: 22 Apr 2010, 11:18 pm »
It has been a while since I've posted or been in contact; with no spare money at the moment I've been avoiding temptation. :green:

Same here.  I am waiting for my super to come through in November.  I am however sorely tempted to go into a little bit of debt to get it a bit earlier. 

Thanks
Bill

Occam

« Reply #6 on: 23 Apr 2010, 12:15 am »
Hugh,

Congratulations, I can hardly wait!!!!  8)

Paul

AKSA

« Reply #7 on: 23 Apr 2010, 06:53 am »
Thanks Bill, Jens, Neil and Paul,

Much appreciated!!

Jens, we are using a double voice coil Peerless 850 at present, but this is about to be replaced by an even bigger driver from SB Acoustics.

Apparently the number of times there have been standing ovations at the MAC is very small over its thirty year history, Aspen is in select company.

I will be making an announcement on the website and in this forum in the next week about future directions and new products.  There's plenty in the pipeline!

Cheers,

Hugh

Jens

« Reply #8 on: 23 Apr 2010, 09:06 am »
Thanks Bill, Jens, Neil and Paul,

Much appreciated!!

Jens, we are using a double voice coil Peerless 850 at present, but this is about to be replaced by an even bigger driver from SB Acoustics.

Apparently the number of times there have been standing ovations at the MAC is very small over its thirty year history, Aspen is in select company.

I will be making an announcement on the website and in this forum in the next week about future directions and new products.  There's plenty in the pipeline!

Cheers,

Hugh

Hugh (and Laurie!), a very good job to have such a result at the MAC - goodonya!

Looking forward to the "state of Aspen Amplifiers" bulletin  :green: This always provides lucid insights into audio and world affairs and is a joy to read  :wink:

kyrill

« Reply #9 on: 23 Apr 2010, 12:00 pm »
good news Hugh and well  :thumb: deserved

VYnuhl.Addict

« Reply #10 on: 24 Apr 2010, 07:20 pm »
Hugh!!,

What?, a new amp you didnt tell me about??, ;), it would have been lovely to have been able to be there, but just as good, I can crank er up in my own place out here in Canada!.. I look forward to the release of this amplifier, and assure all who are familiar with the Aspen line that it will be a very welcome addition and easily secure the "Flagship" title. There was alot of passion, sweat, tears and joy put into this one and a very exhaustive process of elimination, some haggling and whatnot ;), all in good spirit though, for an end result very worth the experience..

2010 will be a nice turning point for Aspen..
Colin :thumb:

AKSA

« Reply #11 on: 26 Apr 2010, 09:38 am »
Ain't that the truth, Colin!!

Incredible input from you, Superman, thank you very, very much...... :thankyou:

Cheers,

Hugh

bhobba

« Reply #12 on: 27 Apr 2010, 01:18 am »
Hi Hugh and All.

Greatly looking forward to that.  Keep up the good work.

Thanks
Bill

gaetan8888

« Reply #13 on: 27 Apr 2010, 04:12 pm »
Hello Hugh

It's wonderfull that standing ovations at the MAC.

Bye

Gaetan

Tliner

« Reply #14 on: 26 Jul 2010, 03:52 am »
Hi All,

I went to a meeting of the Melbourne Audio Club last week and the memories of the the Maya and VSonic demonstration is still alive and well. Usually during the coffee break there is little mention of previous equipment demonstrations over the following months.

I was surprised when one club member expressed his appreciation of the night that Hugh put on. Then there were four more guys quitely expressing similar sentiments too.  They would like another night in the not too distant future. They say they will bring along their favourite music to hear what they have been missing out on.

Even though I was involved that night it is nice to get positive feedback. It goes to show just how highly Aspen equipment is respected.

Cheers,

Laurie.

PS:- Hugh has more amps on the production line along with three pairs of fully built VSonics finished in Victorian Ash veneer waiting for owners.

VYnuhl.Addict

« Reply #15 on: 3 Aug 2010, 03:03 am »
Laurie,

I remember that night, I wasnt there, but very very nervously awaited an email from Hugh on the outcome of the event ;), thankfully it went well!.. I have hopes for another event(all in Hugh's hands and discretion) for possibly the Naksa and the MayaV10 which is even better than the first!!, its been honed out the ying yang and even more powerful in the Bass department, Mids and further refinement in the high's... The overall delivery of what made the first different is still there of course, and it still employs No global feedback...

Colin

Tliner

« Reply #16 on: 3 Aug 2010, 04:29 am »
Colin,

Yes, that night at the MAC meeting was great. It exceeded our expectations with all the applause.
Unlike you from afar, I had a fair idea of how the equipment would present music in such an awefull auditorium. Fortunately I have given the equipment, that is VSonics and an early Soraya a good work out at a crowded Sailing Club with over 300 guests. Mostly the guests were plebs with no understanding of reproduced music. I had many favourable comments that night from the uninitiated. So the MAC session was no big deal except for Hugh. We have heard systems worth tens of thousands of dollars more at meetings and some sounded like department store cheapos.

During the demo the usual club members gestured that they wanted the volume to go up. Hugh willingly cranked up the volume. Soon suggestions were being made to thurn the thing down. The guys in the back row said the tone of the music did not alter at all when the volume went up.  With "BEN" the bass extender going while the organ piece was playing it was like if the organ was in the auditorium. The system has balls! A good sounding system should still sound good virtually without regard of the listening room etc.

I am sure that the Naksa and the MayaV10 will do a fine job to in such a demo, maybe the applause will be even up a notch or two. I can't wait to let the amps rip, they need to be let off the chain.

You and Hugh are a formidable team! Both of you keep up the good work as it ia apreciated by more connosseurs than you realize..

Cheers,

Laurie   

AKSA

« Reply #17 on: 3 Aug 2010, 07:06 am »
You and Hugh are a formidable team! Both of you keep up the good work as it ia apreciated by more connosseurs than you realize..

Laurie, ain't it the truth, Colin is extraordinary, indefatigable, but in fairness, I include you in that team, along with Romeo Tiu in Brindisi, Richard McDonald in Mt Gambier, Jon Pippard in Sandhurst, Peter Roberts in Maroochydore and a number of deeply interested contributors such as Gaetan Mailloux in Quebec, Russell Bayliss in Essendon, Lyn Mathews in Kew, and Omar El Shacker in Jordan who all conspire to keep my feet on the ground and remind me to bring my documentation up to speed....  always a problem for me as I do most of this stuff in my head, like a jazz pianist (and not much different!). 

As someone easily pricked I find the mindless, academic criticism of my frequent contributions to DIYaudio something of a trial, so the individuals who support and encourage me are extremely important.  One man's lunatic is another man's good friend, and I'm always grateful that human perception is so diverse.  There is no doubt in my own mind that I'm a bit mad;  I listen to the story of the Kmer Rouge and the Killing Fields and it almost reduces me to tears;  I keep looking around for things to believe in, and audio has become my platform, both the source of my madness and a cure for it..... :icon_twisted:

I'm presently building NAKSAs, and quite enjoying it!  Today it's Bill Lees' amp, with its fancy binding posts (ugh.....  don't start me...)

Cheers,

Hugh

Afterimage

« Reply #18 on: 3 Aug 2010, 09:29 am »
I watched a documentary on Pol Pot and how they took power and then how they abused it. 
that places was nuts.  Very sad indeed.  Man is a dangerous creature and never underestimate man's capacity for madness and violence.  We look at that and say things in our head like glad that can't happen again, but the truth is that chapter keeps getting played every few years in different places.  I mean, we thought something like Stalin or Hitler couldn't happen again but every decade their is something similar.   Look at Eastern Europe and Rowanda in the 90s.  Sorry for going off topic. 

guest1632

« Reply #19 on: 7 Jan 2011, 05:25 am »
I watched a documentary on Pol Pot and how they took power and then how they abused it. 
that places was nuts.  Very sad indeed.  Man is a dangerous creature and never underestimate man's capacity for madness and violence.  We look at that and say things in our head like glad that can't happen again, but the truth is that chapter keeps getting played every few years in different places.  I mean, we thought something like Stalin or Hitler couldn't happen again but every decade their is something similar.   Look at Eastern Europe and Rowanda in the 90s.  Sorry for going off topic.

Unfortunately, it won't be to long and something very similar will be happening here in the States. When you have various Alphabet agencies doing things that are not constitutional, and they know it and do so anyway, this country will have its share of tyranical rule soon enough. But let's get back to more pleasant subjects while we can.

Ray Bronk