Trials and tribulations of a first time DIYer: A N3+N3S build

aharami

Re: Trials and tribulations of a first time DIYer: A N3+N3S build
« Reply #20 on: 31 Jan 2011, 06:35 pm »
Thanks Robert.  This being my first time doing any serious woodworking (or rather, serious to me), I was quite proud of how it was turning out...until I stained it  :duh:

What are the benefits of waterlox?  And do you recall why the people at woodcraft recommended General Finishes Poly over any other brand?

And yea, Danny's instructions call for polyfill or fiberglass right above brace D and along the back down to brace E. 

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #21 on: 31 Jan 2011, 06:50 pm »
That is some awesome work!  I like the color you got with the wife's suggestion. 

You've got a little speaker building factory now. 

Just think how easy the next pair will be.   :wink:

corndog71

• Some people call me Rob.
« Reply #22 on: 31 Jan 2011, 06:59 pm »
This looks pretty damn good to me. :thumb:

HT cOz

« Reply #23 on: 31 Jan 2011, 07:15 pm »
What are the benefits of waterlox?  And do you recall why the people at woodcraft recommended General Finishes Poly over any other brand?

I like Waterlox because it is forgiving and you can re-apply anytime.  They seemed to indicate that it is easy to get good results with the General Finishes.

aharami

« Reply #24 on: 31 Jan 2011, 07:16 pm »
jtwrace, yea it is quite a speaker building factory, isnt it.  Luckily I have a walkout basement, so I was able to do a lot of cuts outside (although I froze my ass off).  Maybe I should go into business to give the pros some competition  :lol:

This was quite a learning process, and many thanks to Ron, Voncarlos, and of course Danny for all the advise and support.  Danny's a great guy.  My N3+N3S kit was missing the 1 ohm resistors (hey, mistakes happen).  I noticed it the day before Christmas, and Danny went out of his way to ship it out that day.  The day before Christmas!  I think anyone else would've waited until after the holiday.

And thanks corndog71, your avatar is quite fitting for me right now!

grimace

Thanks Robert.  This being my first time doing any serious woodworking (or rather, serious to me), I was quite proud of how it was turning out...until I stained it  :duh:

And yea, Danny's instructions call for polyfill or fiberglass right above brace D and along the back down to brace E.

I'm a newbie and just getting ready to start.  Thanks for posting your way thru, it will be helpful for me.  I'd go with the General Finish if you can get some.  I've had some very good results on projects with it.

NeilT

I like Waterlox because it is forgiving and you can re-apply anytime.  They seemed to indicate that it is easy to get good results with the General Finishes.

Your speakers look great, you have to very organized to pull off a large project like that.
Can't imagine the time you must have spent in your shop, good times I bet.
Anyway I really like General finish, but I have never tried Waterlox.

See will2's thread.

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=91111.0