PS Audio PWT & PWD

soundlogic

PS Audio PWT & PWD
« on: 26 Aug 2009, 02:53 am »
I had originally responded to this thread : http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=70259.0
And was promptly told to "please move thread to HiRez Circle".
I don't know how to move entire threads, nor do I feel it is my JOB...but I can cut'n'paste MY post:

"I have had the pleasure of having the PS Audio Perfect Wave Dac and Perfect Wave Transport in my system for the last 2 weeks. My dealer offered his personal units to me to break-in and evaluate, as he just does not have the time.
I can say without hesitation, that this duo raises the bar on digital playback, beyond what I thought was available at it's price...and this is on red-book only, as I have yet to try the Hi-Rez DVD capabilities.
I first did all my listening with a cheap HDMI cable and was so impressed, I started scrambling to sell off what I could, to raise the funds for these pieces. Then, last week, my dealer loaned me the I2S-12 Silver HDMI that PS Audio makes, and that damn cable took everything up several notches. I did not want to like it, but the difference was not subtle, and of course, as far as I am concerned...a mandatory addition in allowing every last nuance this pair is capable of. They are to be heard and judged at best, as a pair, using the I2S HDMI interface. I used the PWD and my Esoteric DV-50 as a transport and was unable to get the magic that the PWT/PWD with HDMI cable offered.
After I listened and formed my impressions, I started scouring the net to see what other user's impressions were. So far, I have been unable to find any "formal reviews" from audio related publications, but the "everyman user reviews" I have read, seem to share the same impressions:...insert ALL the Audiophool Accolade/Hyperbole here___... except this time, for change...it actually applies!
Oh, and BTW, my dealer IS NOT getting his "loaner" pair back. (I guess there WAS a method behind his madness).
I feel confident once the "experts" log-in, PS Audio will have to scramble to meet the demand.
My dealer was able to get his hands on 2 more pairs; email me if you need his info".

ted_b

• Facilitator
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
Re: PS Audio PWT & PWD
« Reply #1 on: 26 Aug 2009, 01:34 pm »
First off, welcome to AC, and welcome to our HiRez Circle.   :thumb:

I'd love to hear more about the PWD, especially.  I was on the beta list (I'm a huge HiRez fan and it's one reason i started this Circle) but the timing was such that I couldn't pull the trigger when PS Audio wanted me to. 

As you pointed out, there are not a lot of formal comments about these new pieces yet, just the mandatory feedback from the two beta groups....not exactly unbiased reviews detailing the pluses and minuses.  It's good that PS went through that process internally, but it tends to create a body of work that distorts what the market acceptance really was.

Could you tell us about your system, your previous DAC and/or player that the PWT/PWD replaced?  What music have you listened to, and what about the new stack makes the music better?  Just some more details about the magic......thanks

silverlight

« Reply #2 on: 26 Aug 2009, 02:43 pm »
The real game with the PWD starts when the Bridge is available IMO.  I was on the waiting list a while back but when the Bridge got pushed back to end of year + decided to hold off as that is what will make it a potential game changer (as the Lens is in the bridge).  Suppose one could get a very good feel for this with the PWT, but I would never buy one of those as I'm too spoiled with the music server setup and flipping discs isn't in my future.

Will also be very interesting to see what the separate Lens device will do to an existing DAC from a jitter perspective.  Paul has written up more info about it on one of the topics at their forum in Future Products (it's audio and video a ton of inputs).

ted_b

• Facilitator
« Reply #3 on: 26 Aug 2009, 02:53 pm »
The real game with the PWD starts when the Bridge is available IMO.  I was on the waiting list a while back but when the Bridge got pushed back to end of year + decided to hold off as that is what will make it a potential game changer (as the Lens is in the bridge).  Suppose one could get a very good feel for this with the PWT, but I would never buy one of those as I'm too spoiled with the music server setup and flipping discs isn't in my future.

Will also be very interesting to see what the separate Lens device will do to an existing DAC from a jitter perspective.  Paul has written up more info about it on one of the topics at their forum in Future Products (it's audio and video a ton of inputs).

+1 Geoff.  The Bridge and Lens are possible game changers.  PS Audio is an interesting company.  They often over-hype a product, and it tends to create a reaction that ends up dismissing some of their well-designed products (DACIII, phono stage, etc.) without giving them their due.

soundlogic

« Reply #4 on: 26 Aug 2009, 04:33 pm »
A little bit about myself and my system: I have been an Audio-phool for over 30 years, coming from a love of music based on sitting behind a set of drums. As the drummer, I was "involved in making" music, but always felt frustrated that I could not "make music" like the guitar, bass keyboard players. I decided to pursue "the Absolute Sound" by creating as close to live music in my listening room as possible. And as all of you know, this is a frustrating, but sometimes rewarding endeavor. Over the course of this hobby, I have the gambit of equipment, speakers, sources, all of which my main priority was to re-create the slam and dynamics of what I experienced behind the drumkit. Which reminds me...one of your questions was what I tend to listen to. I grew-up listening to classic and progressive rock, jazz fusion: Yes, King Crimsom, Mahavishnu Orchestra, Return to Forever, Gentle Giant, etc. Music that tends to encourage the listener to become more active than passive. Much like most of us that were raised on vinyl, the act of listening was a very deliberate endeavor...sitting in front of the speakers, reading the liner notes and oggling that album art-work. When digital first came out, I went through so many phases of equipment...speakers and amps...thinking something was WRONG with my system...but all along it was the very nature of digital...basiclly sound like CRAP! Some of the speakers that have graced my system: Vandersteen 2Ci, Martin Logan CLSz with Kinergetics Subs, Audio Artistry Dvoraks. I won't bore the readers with the plethora of amps and sources, but I did want to mention the previous "hearts" of my system.
 My current system is: Avangarde Duos with Omega x-over/drivers, Audiopax Model 88 mono's,Balanced Audio Technology VK-51SE pre-amp, Synergistic Research Tesla wire, Grand Prix Audio racks, amp stand, PS Audio Power Plant Premier x2. Analog: VPI HRX, Dynavector XV1-s cart., Manley Steelhead phono Pre-amp, which draws a pretty serious line in the sand.
 As far as digital, I have had numerous pieces from Pioneer, Theta Digital, and I settled on an Esoteric DV-50. I have tried a few outboard dacs, kept the Northstar 192 for a while, but realized that the DV-50 sounded overall better on it's own. As mentioned above, I was just going on, not really looking to upgrade my system, when my dealer asked me if I would mind setting up his PWT/PWD in my system to break-in for him. I was happy to "help-out", all along thinking that, as was mentioned earlier: Oh, here is ANOTHER "PS Audio over-hyped-piece-of-wonder-gear-that everybody-needs-if-you-don't-believe-it-just-read-the-slick-advertisements-in-Stereophile", and was very luke-warm as to my expectations. I will admit to owning the PPP, in fact 2 of them, but they de-throwned...after sufficient break-in... $8,000 worth of A/C regeneration/condition equipment.
 So what I am hearing with the PWT/PWD is THE MOST Smooth, non fatiguing, yet detailed digital I ever experienced. In addition, the bottom-end is depth-charge deep, yet extremely tight. If the disc has the info on it, you will hear all of it. Depth, width, height, etc.
 As I mentioned...ALL the things that we strive for as Audiophools...you fill in the blank...the PS duo does, and does it better than I have ever experienced. I have been attending the CES show in Las Vegas since 1988, and have only missed 2 years since then. I have heard the progression of the High-End, heard systems that blew me away, an heard systems that I came away from saying: "That Shitz Way Over-Priced!", and I feel the High-End has really progressed to a point of ridiculous-ness as far as costs go. Yes, to many, $6000.00 is a ton of dough for a digital front-end. I am embarrassed to admit the $value of my analog front-end, but it is nearly thrice the price of the PS Duo. And I will tell you without hesitation, this pair of digital over-achievers run neck and neck in many respects, and in others, tower above my Blessed Vinyl Rig. An that pretty much pisses me off! I used to proudly demonstrate the obvious benefits of Vinyl over the inferior Digital. Well, the other day, I cued up the red-book version of Natalie Merchant's "Tigerlily", and the pristine copy of Mobile Fidelity Sound-Labs 45 rpm version of the same. I am able to very closely match the volume levels and switch the sources from the listening chair with the BAT's remote.
Holy Shit! Almost too close to call! The PS Duo: slightly deeper/tighter bass, the vinyl version: slightly more top-end...but everything else was even. That has not been my experience, and when I can, I'll listen to the Vinyl rig 85% of the time.
Trust me, this new digital front-end is ground-breaking. All the verbal prose that can be spilled is nothing compared to your own aural judgement. I can only encourage anyone looking at a digital upgrade in this price range, to try to get a listen. It will change your opinion about PS Audio, AND the "State of the Digital Art" today.

ted_b

• Facilitator
« Reply #5 on: 26 Aug 2009, 04:47 pm »
Soundlogic,
Great update.  Thanks.  Another Yes, KC and Gentle Giant fan!!   :thumb: (One of my most eclectic concerts was 1972, Eagles opened, then Mahavishnu Orch w/ JM, and then Yes.  Yes debuted Close To the Edge.  We recorded it on a little Aiwa tape machine and knew the album before it was released a few months later!!).  Saw Gentle Giant at a great little theater in Akron, OH (Akron Civic Theater) only days later.

Your system is very very nice.  It is impressive that the PS stack can achieve such an "analog status" with the level of resolution your great Duos can reveal!  I've heard them in a few systems, and they can make easy fools of bad signal paths, and yet can sound glorious with the right combo. 

Have you tried any HiRez yet?  Download some stuff and rip to DVD-Audio (using our handy guide in this Circle), then report back.   :D

I think I may need to give Ryan or Mayoura a call back.  :wink:

jhm731

« Reply #6 on: 26 Aug 2009, 07:33 pm »
After I listened and formed my impressions, I started scouring the net to see what other user's impressions were. So far, I have been unable to find any "formal reviews" from audio related publications, but the "everyman user reviews" I have read, seem to share the same impressions:...insert ALL the Audiophool Accolade/Hyperbole here___... except this time, for change...it actually applies!

There's a review of the PWT & PWD on stereomojo.com

ted_b

• Facilitator
« Reply #7 on: 26 Aug 2009, 08:39 pm »

There's a review of the PWT & PWD on stereomojo.com

No offense, but that "review" is lame, and in my opinion a term paper that someone put together for a deadline.  It's a primer, not a review.  It is almost entirely made up of cut-n-paste snippets from either the user manual(s) or the well-laid out PS Audio website FAQ's.  Any real subjective listening evaluation, and comparison to existing standards, is missing.

soundlogic

« Reply #8 on: 26 Aug 2009, 08:45 pm »
 Nice read on the Stereo-mojo site. Thanks for the Heads-Up. Along with the reviewer, I am quite bummed that the PWT does not read DVD-A and SACD, especially coming from the use of a transport (Esoteric DV-50) that does, and having a size-able library of such discs. But the fact that the PWT/PWD combo plays back red-book, in my system, with many of the same attributes I was getting from DVD-A and SACD, played through my DV-50...well let's just say that it helps soften the blow.
I will probably sell my DV-50 and buy a cheap OPPO universal, and play my SACD/DVD-A's on that. I wish I had the hardware to extract all the Hi-Rez files from my DVD-A's and SACD's and then burn them to DVD-r for the PWT. DAMN!

soundlogic

« Reply #9 on: 26 Aug 2009, 09:02 pm »

[/quote]

No offense, but that "review" is lame, and in my opinion a term paper that someone put together for a deadline.  It's a primer, not a review.  It is almost entirely made up of cut-n-paste snippets from either the user manual(s) or the well-laid out PS Audio website FAQ's.  Any real subjective listening evaluation, and comparison to existing standards, is missing.
[/quote]

Ted, I somewhat agree, but not all of us are experts at reviewing and it seems that maybe Mr. Darby is no exception. He did sum things up in a few sentences/paragraphs and I got the gist of what he was saying. I had a struggle trying to put my impressions into words as this review crap is not my forte.
 The best suggestion I or anyone could give regarding this...or any piece of gear: Listen to it yourself, preferably in your home with your equipment. Maybe your dealer can work out an in home audition. Contact me offline, I will give you my dealer's info.

jhm731

« Reply #10 on: 26 Aug 2009, 09:05 pm »

soundlogic

« Reply #11 on: 27 Aug 2009, 12:02 am »
Not a "free read" I see..any idea as to what the review said?

silverlight

« Reply #12 on: 27 Aug 2009, 12:30 am »
Nice read on the Stereo-mojo site. Thanks for the Heads-Up. Along with the reviewer, I am quite bummed that the PWT does not read DVD-A and SACD, especially coming from the use of a transport (Esoteric DV-50) that does, and having a size-able library of such discs. But the fact that the PWT/PWD combo plays back red-book, in my system, with many of the same attributes I was getting from DVD-A and SACD, played through my DV-50...well let's just say that it helps soften the blow.
I will probably sell my DV-50 and buy a cheap OPPO universal, and play my SACD/DVD-A's on that. I wish I had the hardware to extract all the Hi-Rez files from my DVD-A's and SACD's and then burn them to DVD-r for the PWT. DAMN!

Soundlogic - you can rip your DVD-A's (not SACD's), into WAV files (24/96, 24/88, 24/192) and then then burn them back onto a DVD-R which should easily work with the PWT.  Ted has a guide (DVDAExplorer or DVD Audio Extractor for DVD-A or DVD-A/video, respectively).  Wouldn't be entirely surprised if they add DVD-A functionality as well via firmware update (there is some discussion of this possibility on their forum if I recall correctly)

jhm731

« Reply #13 on: 27 Aug 2009, 01:01 am »
Not a "free read" I see..any idea as to what the review said?

Look at this thread ovrer on the PS Audio forum:

http://www.psaudio.com/ps/forum/viewthread/291/

Also some free 24/176.4 downloads here:

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/content/Complimentary-241764-HRx-Downloads-Courtesy-Reference-Recordings

RUR

« Reply #14 on: 28 Aug 2009, 05:17 pm »
Soooo, fellow TacT owners, are you using the PWT/PWD via the TacT analog input or PWT>TacT>PWD?  Seems like the latter, without the additional A/D step would sound better, but may present problems in the PWT/PWD communications chain.

Disclaimer:  I do NOT speak digital. :o

/Ken

firedog

« Reply #15 on: 28 Aug 2009, 06:40 pm »
Soooo, fellow TacT owners, are you using the PWT/PWD via the TacT analog input or PWT>TacT>PWD?  Seems like the latter, without the additional A/D step would sound better, but may present problems in the PWT/PWD communications chain.

Disclaimer:  I do NOT speak digital. :o

/Ken

Wrote to Paul at PS Audio about this very topic. He did not recommend a PWT>PWD>TACT analogue-input setup, but said they would think about some sort of solution for users like TACT owners  or others in a similar situation.

BTW, on the Yahoo TACT forums, the PWT/TACT solution is getting rave reviews, with severa owners saying it is the best CD/digital sound they've ever heard, and not by a small margin. And this is coming from people who already owned hi-end CD solutions.

BPT

• Industry Participant
  • Balanced Power Technologies
« Reply #16 on: 28 Aug 2009, 06:53 pm »
The PWT>TacT will work fine. The PWT>TacT>PWD is not so good because the TacT will reclock the digital signal and you will loose a lot of the benefit of the PWT. The DEQX (with digital output option) would be a better choice.
Chris H.

RUR

« Reply #17 on: 28 Aug 2009, 06:56 pm »
Yup, I've read the posts and arranged to audition a PWT (sans PWD) next week.  Still at sea regarding the various DAC offerings e.g. Weiss et al.

tdangelo

« Reply #18 on: 31 Aug 2009, 01:12 pm »
has anyone been able to compare the Modwright Transporter using it's analog outs vs the MW Transporter into the PWD or just a stock Transporter into the PWD?  Curious  :) :)

mikel51

« Reply #19 on: 12 Sep 2009, 10:49 pm »
I'll be interested in the PWD with the bridge vs. the modwright transporter.  Somehow, I think the modwright will win.