SurgeX

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
SurgeX
« on: 1 Aug 2012, 11:05 pm »
I was looking for some surge protection / line filtration and found a SurgeX SX1115-RT on ebay. I didn't bid on it seriously, but ended up wining it for the $150 starting bid. It's in good shape except for a bent rack mount ear that was easily straightened back out. I plugged my DAC, preamp, amp, plasma tv, DirecTV DVR and DVD into it and there was a very noticeable improvement in sound and picture quality, so I am happy.

http://www.surgex.com/products/sx1115rt.html

Has anyone used any SurgeX equipment and how does it compare to other brands? If there are better alternatives for not much more money I would be interested to hear about them... I can probably sell the SurgeX for more than I paid and add in another hundred or so tops, so something that might sell for under $400 used would be my limit.

Early B.

Re: SurgeX
« Reply #1 on: 2 Aug 2012, 01:49 am »
One of my audiophile friends uses SurgeX and he's very happy with the results compared to the budget-oriented PS Audio offerings he has used in the past. If you heard a very noticeable improvement, then spending less than $400 on any other power conditioner will probably not result in a significantly better performance.

drummermitchell

« Reply #2 on: 2 Aug 2012, 02:32 am »
I use two Surgex sx1115 RT's(one for my computer and one for the TV).
these are the rack mount type.
The tv is a dlp and 7yrs old,the last 2yrs. blew bulbs once a yr,this last year,nada.
I believe the surgex has helped alot as the bulb blowing was consistent.
The Surgex is a curse because I want to upgrade the tv,course I could just unplug it :lol:.
Haven't any on my audio gear as I use Torus PUI's for that.
For low power I have no complaints on Surgex,picked these up on ebay for 170.00US each :thumb:.

mdconnelly

« Reply #3 on: 2 Aug 2012, 12:47 pm »
SurgeX, ZeroSurge and BrickWall all employ similar technology.  I believe it was originally developed by ZeroSurge and licensed to the others, each making their own mods to the design.   I do believe that if you feel a need for surge protection (different from power conditioning), this technology is definitely the way to go because it does NOT depend on MOVs.

I'm using ZeroSurge for protecting my computer gear.  I did recently place one between my UberBuss and wall in my audio rig.   No noticeable effect on sound quality (positive or negative). 

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #4 on: 2 Aug 2012, 06:31 pm »
Thanks for the responses!

Nyal Mellor

• Industry Participant
  • Founder - Acoustic Frontiers.
    • Acoustic Frontiers
« Reply #5 on: 2 Aug 2012, 11:06 pm »
You've got a great unit there. Next step up would be an isolation transformer. Torus make one without a surge suppression board (the IS line), you could use that with your SurgeX.

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #6 on: 3 Sep 2012, 07:52 pm »
I took off the SurgeX cover to replace the PC with a 12g mil spec cable I built.

It looks ok inside, but there are a lot of issues. First, steel connectors... there are quite a few, and a crimp type splice connector with a steel blade on the incoming neutral wire to couple it to the rest of the internal wiring. There are steel spade connectors going to and from the PCBs and power switches. All these need to go eventually... The receptacles used internally are mediocre and plated, these will need to be replaced with better units. Also, most of the receptacles are switched, which is feature I am going to eliminate by bypassing the power switch so the unit is always on while it is plugged in. There are also some passive parts that could be upgraded. Wires are PVC insulted copper, typical cheap hook up wire which could be replaced with mil spec wire without it costing much $.

Overall, I think it is a decent unit but maybe not suited for really picky types, which you probably are if you are reading this forum... it should be interesting to upgrade the connectors, receptacles and internal wiring and see what kind of improvements it will make...

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #7 on: 3 Sep 2012, 08:29 pm »
I took off the SurgeX cover to replace the PC with a 12g mil spec cable I built.

It looks ok inside, but there are a lot of issues. First, steel connectors... there are quite a few, and a crimp type splice connector with a steel blade on the incoming neutral wire to couple it to the rest of the internal wiring. There are steel spade connectors going to and from the PCBs and power switches. All these need to go eventually... The receptacles used internally are mediocre and plated, these will need to be replaced with better units. Also, most of the receptacles are switched, which is feature I am going to eliminate by bypassing the power switch so the unit is always on while it is plugged in. There are also some passive parts that could be upgraded. Wires are PVC insulted copper, typical cheap hook up wire which could be replaced with mil spec wire without it costing much $.

Overall, I think it is a decent unit but maybe not suited for really picky types, which you probably are if you are reading this forum... it should be interesting to upgrade the connectors, receptacles and internal wiring and see what kind of improvements it will make...
By doing these mods what do you think you will accomplish other then take what might be a UL listed product and void that cert?

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #8 on: 3 Sep 2012, 08:54 pm »
By doing these mods what do you think you will accomplish other then take what might be a UL listed product and void that cert?

Lol, I have designed and built a UL approved electronic control panel with 30 kW going through it before, so I'm not too worried about the safety end of it...

Anyway, by getting rid of magnetic metals you will reduce distortions in the AC signal, which get through to the music signal. The results are likely to be a reduction in harshness and glare, revealing better detail and less listening fatigue. Hospital grade receptacles offer a better contact with the plug, which is also a big plus because it reduces resistance.

Anytime you can get change out a relatively poor conductor (especially a magnetic metal) with a better one, it makes a positive change whether it's in the power supply or the signal path, which ultimately are the same thing. IMO steel connectors are the worst thing you could possibly have in any of your components, including power conditioning.

Early B.

« Reply #9 on: 3 Sep 2012, 09:54 pm »
Lol, I have designed and built a UL approved electronic control panel with 30 kW going through it before, so I'm not too worried about the safety end of it...

Anyway, by getting rid of magnetic metals you will reduce distortions in the AC signal, which get through to the music signal. The results are likely to be a reduction in harshness and glare, revealing better detail and less listening fatigue. Hospital grade receptacles offer a better contact with the plug, which is also a big plus because it reduces resistance.

Anytime you can get change out a relatively poor conductor (especially a magnetic metal) with a better one, it makes a positive change whether it's in the power supply or the signal path, which ultimately are the same thing. IMO steel connectors are the worst thing you could possibly have in any of your components, including power conditioning.

Good points. I think it's safe to say that SurgeX is not designed for high end audio applications. The problem is that, like many other components in audio, the good stuff costs more money. If you want basic, inexpensive protection like SurgeX offers, the trade-off is sound quality. Sure, the sound of your system may improve with the addition of SurgeX, but it's just the beginning.

I'd love to read about a shoot-out between SurgeX and comparably priced conditioners such as those from Furman, PS Audio, etc., then compare the best of them to audiophile quality conditioners such as the CPC from BPT, and a few others. I'm guessing that up to a certain price point (i.e., $1,000), you get what you pay for. 

Speedskater

• Kevin
« Reply #10 on: 4 Sep 2012, 01:42 am »

Most of the people reading this don't have your great knowledge and skill, to modify safety equipment.

It's definitely against UL and NEC rules to modify safety equipment.

You better tell the manufactures of power transformers to find an other way to manufacture them!

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #11 on: 4 Sep 2012, 02:48 am »

If you decide to audiophile your SurgeX, I hope you'll update your results here in this thread, preferably with before & after pictures. I  agree with Early B.'s thoughts, it wouldn't surprise me if you had positive experiences if you proceed with these mods. Good luck Dave!  :thumb:

Cheers,
Robin

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #12 on: 4 Sep 2012, 03:31 am »

You better tell the manufactures of power transformers to find an other way to manufacture them!

Yeah, there's steel leads on many parts and sometimes there is no alternative...  I would still like to eliminate as much of it as possible.

Also, I'm not modifying the equipment, I'm simply changing out parts with other UL listed parts that serve exactly the same function. More along the lines of a repair...

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #13 on: 4 Sep 2012, 03:38 am »
If you decide to audiophile your SurgeX, I hope you'll update your results here in this thread, preferably with before & after pictures. I  agree with Early B.'s thoughts, it wouldn't surprise me if you had positive experiences if you proceed with these mods. Good luck Dave!  :thumb:

Cheers,
Robin

I already have 2 receptacles and I will take pics when I do it... I am sure it will make a difference, what I don't know is if it will be one of those very obvious differences or whether I won't be able to tell much because it will take me a few hours to replace the parts I want to replace. In the case of the latter many times it is more a difference than an improvement, but in any case it should be an interesting experiment and it won't cost much $$.

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #14 on: 4 Sep 2012, 03:50 am »
Plus it's just plain fun to do.   :green:

Early B.

« Reply #15 on: 4 Sep 2012, 04:35 am »
Plus it's just plain fun to do.   :green:

Exactly! Have fun and take lots of pics, please.

A power cord change alone will breathe new life into that SurgeX.

matthewlevy

« Reply #16 on: 21 Apr 2013, 04:15 pm »
So, did you modify the SurgeX and what was the result?

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #17 on: 21 Apr 2013, 07:44 pm »
I have only replaced the power cord, but more mods are on the list of things to do.... been busy lately but I will get around to it eventually...  :D

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #18 on: 21 Apr 2013, 08:07 pm »
Okay, I understand the mods and why you're doing them, and please, I mean no offense in this, I'm really asking a question, what did you get for the $150?  These thing retail for $650 so I assume there's something in there you're buying it for, but you then post a pretty damning critique for the unit's use in audio applications.  Help a bewildered brother out here. 

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #19 on: 21 Apr 2013, 08:23 pm »
I got it used on ebay, I bought it for surge protection and line filtration. I think it's a good unit, but can be improved upon...

The surge protection is patented and does not use MOVs, that is the main reason I bought it over other options.