jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
Re: Bryston Loudspeakers
« Reply #261 on: 8 Feb 2012, 11:27 pm »

SoundGame

« Reply #262 on: 9 Feb 2012, 04:30 pm »
Very promising, indeed.  Looking forward to hearing about your results with it and the new speaker.  All the best! :thumb:

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #263 on: 10 Feb 2012, 03:00 pm »
Latest version of Bryston Model T

SoundGame

« Reply #264 on: 10 Feb 2012, 03:18 pm »
Latest version of Bryston Model T

Now James - I've gotta say that it looks very slick in that colour - is that Wenge / Dark Walnut?  Lovely.

Are there any thoughts about utilizing an aluminum front baffle?  Given your connections for CNC milling of billet aluminum - would there not be benefits of incorporating something like that?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #265 on: 10 Feb 2012, 03:27 pm »
Hi

No we have done a lot of research on resonance and controlling it and a thick MDF properly braced seems like the best solution. One of the advantages of having an anachoic chamber to test things in is you can try and test very quickly and not waste time going in the wrong direction. For instance we found you can actually have too much bracing in a side panel or front baffle as the frequency that it resonates at moves up in frequency as you add more bracing.

I am learning a lot through this exercise :thumb:

James

SoundGame

« Reply #266 on: 10 Feb 2012, 03:34 pm »
Hi

No we have done a lot of research on resonance and controlling it and a thick MDF properly braced seems like the best solution. One of the advantages of having an anachoic chamber to test things in is you can try and test very quickly and not waste time going in the wrong direction. For instance we found you can actually have too much bracing in a side panel or front baffle as the frequency that it resonates at moves up in frequency as you add more bracing.

I am learning a lot through this extercise :thumb:

James

This is interesting.  So James - it's an all MDF cabinet utilizing MDF internal bracing then?  Was any testing done with LDF and does your explanation apply for that as well i.e. it would result in higher-frequency resonances dominating?  How thick are you currently with your MDF panels - front, back, sides, top & bottom?  Are you using the same thickness for internal bracing?

What type of internal sound dampening materials are being used?  Is it just poly-fill, foam, sound fabric eg. dynamat, borocilicate, or natural wool? 

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #267 on: 10 Feb 2012, 03:46 pm »
This is interesting.  So James - it's an all MDF cabinet utilizing MDF internal bracing then?  Was any testing done with LDF and does your explanation apply for that as well i.e. it would result in higher-frequency resonances dominating?  How thick are you currently with your MDF panels - front, back, sides, top & bottom?  Are you using the same thickness for internal bracing?

What type of internal sound dampening materials are being used?  Is it just poly-fill, foam, sound fabric eg. dynamat, borocilicate, or natural wool?

Hi

I can not get into details as we are still experimenting due to the cabinet getting larger but I am having the speaker designed by engineers that have over 30 plus years of experience with these issues and I am leaving many of those decisions  to them. I am just the listener and the pain in the ass question guy.

James

SoundGame

« Reply #268 on: 10 Feb 2012, 04:10 pm »
Hi

I can not get into details as we are still experimenting due to the cabinet getting larger but I am having the speaker designed by engineers that have over 30 plus years of experience with these issues and I am leaving many of those decisions  to them. I am just the listener and the pain in the ass question guy.

James

Isn't that the most fun part????  :icon_twisted: :angel: A lovely place to be from my perspective.  Cheers.

JfTM

« Reply #269 on: 10 Feb 2012, 05:33 pm »
..... and the pain in the ass question guy.

James

Best job ever  :thumb:

redbook

• the music is the blood...........
« Reply #270 on: 10 Feb 2012, 07:32 pm »
  Lookin' good James..................... :weights:

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #271 on: 12 Feb 2012, 01:38 pm »
Latest:

PRELUDE

« Reply #272 on: 12 Feb 2012, 02:08 pm »
Latest:

Looking good James :thumb:
Would you think about smaller pakage also?
Looks like they are getting popular.Just take a look at this short list of active speakers.The PMC and 10B crossover are in the list.

http://thewelltemperedcomputer.com/HW/ActiveSpeakers.htm

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #273 on: 12 Feb 2012, 03:10 pm »
Interesting PRELUDE - did not realize there were that many. Most have internal amps and crossovers though and I will be sticking with external crossover and amps.

James

SoundGame

« Reply #274 on: 12 Feb 2012, 04:37 pm »
Hi James,

I know this thread is about the Model T; however, it has drawn my attention to Axiom lodspekaers, specifically the M80.  Recognizing those are passive and would not provide results that you are seeking with your acctive design, but given that the engineers, techniques, testing are Axiom based, I would be interested in your trained ear perspectives on the M80 with Bryston amplification?  I assume you have tried them and if so, how would you describe/characterize them?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #275 on: 12 Feb 2012, 05:52 pm »
Hi James,

I know this thread is about the Model T; however, it has drawn my attention to Axiom lodspekaers, specifically the M80.  Recognizing those are passive and would not provide results that you are seeking with your acctive design, but given that the engineers, techniques, testing are Axiom based, I would be interested in your trained ear perspectives on the M80 with Bryston amplification?  I assume you have tried them and if so, how would you describe/characterize them?

Hi Soundgame,

When I was looking around for someone to help me with the Bryston Model T idea there were only a hand full of companies that had the testing facilities (anachoic chamber) and test gear I wanted so it narrowed the field a lot. I phone Ian at Axiom because I knew he had great facilities and testing gear and had been heavily involved in the listening tests I was involved in years ago at the National Research Council in Ottawa - (boy that brings back a flood of memories) :D  I also knew that Andrew Welker (whom I respected) a design engineer from Canadian company Audio Products days had joined Axiom as well.

Anyway I asked him to send me a pair of the 80's for evaluation and it was a revelation - I have had some serious speakers in my day but the M80 really surprised me.  Being the skeptic I am I asked a few friends to come over and audition the system setup in room 3 - see attached.  Well everyone thought it sounded terrific and when I told them the price ($1400) it was 'disbelief Squared' :duh:

So I decided if this company can get this kind of performance at this price range I found my guy. :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

James

PS - if the Model T sounds bad I will only have suicide as an alternative :duh:

SoundGame

« Reply #276 on: 12 Feb 2012, 06:10 pm »
Hi Soundgame,

When I was looking around for someone to help me with the Bryston Model T idea there were only a hand full of companies that had the testing facilities (anachoic chamber) and test gear I wanted so it narrowed the field a lot. I phone Ian at Axiom because I knew he had great facilities and testing gear and had been heavily involved in the listening tests I was involved in years ago at the National Research Council in Ottawa - (boy that brings back a flood of memories) :D  I also knew that Andrew Welker (whom I respected) a design engineer from Canadian company Audio Products days had joined Axiom as well.

Anyway I asked him to send me a pair of the 80's for evaluation and it was a revelation - I have had some serious speakers in my day but the M80 really surprised me.  Being the skeptic I am I asked a few friends to come over and audition the system setup in room 3 - see attached.  Well everyone thought it sounded terrific and when I told them the price ($1400) it was 'disbelief Squared' :duh:

So I decided if this company can get this kind of performance at this price range I found my guy. :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

James

PS - if the Model T sounds bad I will only have suicide as an alternative :duh:

Thanks James.  I've been considering them but they don't get the typical "press" in the audiophile magazines.  The few industry reviews seem very positive and their specifications on their website are great to say the least - very flat performance and virtually full range.  Perhaps I should bump them up on my list as potentials - your comments give me some added comfort.  Cheers.!

Diamond Dog

• Chameleon, Comedian, Corinthian and Caricature
« Reply #277 on: 12 Feb 2012, 07:29 pm »
Those  Model T's are sure evolving , James - quite an odyssey. Are your listening rooms untreated ?

D.D.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #278 on: 12 Feb 2012, 07:34 pm »
Those  Model T's are sure evolving , James - quite an oddysey. Are your listening rooms untreated ?

D.D.

Some are like in room 3 above I have tube traps in the corners and in room 1 I have the smaller on wall absorbers to cut down on room splash.   In room 2 I have use RPG diffusers covering the front wall.

I have mixed feelings about absorption and have experimented over the years but find most people over do it and it ends up sounding too dead.

James

Diamond Dog

• Chameleon, Comedian, Corinthian and Caricature
« Reply #279 on: 12 Feb 2012, 07:51 pm »
Some are like in room 3 above I have tube traps in the corners and in room 1 I have the smaller on wall absorbers to cut down on room splash.   In room 2 I have use RPG diffusers covering the front wall.

I have mixed feelings about absorption and have experimented over the years but fine most people over do it and it ends up sounding too dead.

James

Those tube traps are visually a lot different from a lot of the stuff you see...In my typically bass-ackwards way, I'm just starting to work on room treatments now. Thanks for the input!

D.D.