Balanced XLR Cable?

Escott1377

Balanced XLR Cable?
« on: 5 Feb 2016, 05:36 pm »
Do I want to ground both sides of the cable?

I was told not to ground the "male" end of the cable since it may cause a ground loop issue.

Please let me know and thanks.

Speedskater

• Kevin
Re: Balanced XLR Cable?
« Reply #1 on: 5 Feb 2016, 08:21 pm »
An XLR balanced interconnect cable does not have a ground. The cable has a shield and while they often have continuity from one to the other they serve different functions. Normally the shield is connected at both ends, but if the components are on different AC power systems it can be a good idea to not connect the one end. So the send end is always connected and the received end may be connected through a hybrid (a capacitor). Well designed balanced components should be immune to ground loop issues.
Look-up 'the pin 1 problem' and the John Windt 'Hummer Tester'.

Mike Nomad

« Reply #2 on: 5 Feb 2016, 09:36 pm »
As you will find with the language used in diagrams, etc. "Sleeve" or "Shield" = "Ground." Not speaking to the correctness of the usage, simply the colloquial usage.

Yes, in general, the "male" end of the cable is the end you would not use Pin 1. I think a better way of looking at it is in relation to signal flow, like Speedskater explains.

However, since you stipulated a balanced connection in your title, you would use Pin 1 on both ends. An unbalanced connection binds pins 1 & 2.

santacore

« Reply #3 on: 5 Feb 2016, 11:58 pm »
An unbalanced connection binds pins 1 & 2.

Wouldn't that be 1 & 3? Ground and neutral. Pin 2 is +

werd

« Reply #4 on: 6 Feb 2016, 12:09 am »
 Could you take the drain wire (1)and attach an alligator clip and attach back to the chassis where the signal starts?

Speedskater

• Kevin
« Reply #5 on: 6 Feb 2016, 12:38 am »
Well you could use an alligator clip and it's better than nothing. But the idea is to keep the jumper as short as possible (less than 1in/2cm).

As you will find with the language used in diagrams, etc. "Sleeve" or "Shield" = "Ground." Not speaking to the correctness of the usage, simply the colloquial usage.

I think of a 'sleeve' as an insulating material.  While a 'screen' is a 'shield'.

"Shield" = "Ground"
It's a colloquialism that causes endless confusion.

Mike Nomad

« Reply #6 on: 6 Feb 2016, 02:34 pm »
Wouldn't that be 1 & 3? Ground and neutral. Pin 2 is +

Absolutely Yes. Please excuse my poor typing... "3-pin it's odds together, 4-pin it's the ends." (four pins = four fingers, 1st and last fingers). Now all I need to do is call up my resistor 4-band color values chant...

Mike Nomad

« Reply #7 on: 6 Feb 2016, 02:58 pm »

I think of a 'sleeve' as an insulating material.  While a 'screen' is a 'shield'.

"Shield" = "Ground"
It's a colloquialism that causes endless confusion.

Sure. What I was referring to was simply how... varied the identification is for Pin 1. Having just done a Google image search, I found Ground, Screen, Shield, Sleeve, and Com (as in Common). With printed literature and otherwise, it would be nice if folks would adhere to the variance in terminology as an appropriate indicator across the variance of application. "Black to Com," indeed.

(and)

Just got done looking over the "Pin 1 Revisited" paper at Rane's website (I'm assuming that's the direction you wanted the OP to go). Great stuff. Thanks.

http://www.rane.com/note165.html