Adding Dual Subs to Maggie 3.6

ajzepp

Re: Adding Dual Subs to Maggie 3.6
« Reply #20 on: 5 Feb 2016, 10:43 pm »
Thanks.

Looks like you are off to a good start. Those Butlers gotta be a good match with the three-sixes.

The Butler has a booboo at the present time, but yep, they love hooking up with the Maggies :)

Believe it or not, I'm actually driving them with a peachtree Nova integrated at the moment...has worked far better than expected. I need to send the Butler in for tube upgrade...I've gotten an excellent 10 years out of it, and hoping to get at least another 10 once it's back from the doctors office

limniscate

« Reply #21 on: 8 Apr 2016, 05:35 pm »
I have dual Rythmik F12G subs with the 1.7i's and the 3.7's.  They can be hard to integrate, and it can be very room/track dependent.  For example, I had them crossed at around 27 hz with my 1.7i's on a long wall setup, but had to raise the crossover significantly for my 3.7's.  They're still not integrated that well with the 3.7's.

Barry100

« Reply #22 on: 8 Apr 2016, 07:25 pm »
The easiest way to integrate subs seamlessly is with a somewhat higher crossover frequency, say 80-100 Hz & 24 dB octave slopes, and some sort of EQ/DSP capability on only the subs.  I use REW and a DSPeaker-Antimode  2.0 Dual Core 2.0, but mini-DSP would work as well and be cheaper. 

The benefits are that you can: 1) equalize for room mode peaks up to 250 Hz or so; 2) add a house curve with a very modest bass boost for naturalness; 3) minimize bass distortion on the main panels without harming of the Maggie's great bass quality; 4) not add any electronic colorations to the panels that would color the sound or make less transparent. 

Using REW and a cheap USB mic, you can also move the subs and see where the optimum placement is within the constraints of your listening room before you employ any EQ to the subs. The end result with a pair of 3.6s and some big subs could look something like this:

You could also skip the DSP/EQ and just use REW to measure location results. Results wouldn't be anywhere near as good, but still much better than set-up by ear alone and it would be way less time consuming to find the best sound.
« Last Edit: 8 Apr 2016, 08:44 pm by Barry100 »

Paul McNeil

« Reply #23 on: 14 Apr 2016, 01:45 am »
I agree with Barrry100. Why go against physics? Equalize with DSPeaker or similar, or let your room modes dominate. Do you enjoy extended bass with definition? Most likely, your room won't allow it, because of bass peaks, that the dipole nature of planers may exaggerate. Equalization easily controls these, so enjoy our digital world. And, if you want the really deep stuff, accurate below 30 htz, consider infinite baffle subwoofing, with equalization.