• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
Re: Camera for hiking
« Reply #20 on: 20 Feb 2018, 01:57 pm »
Good info, DrewM.  I hadn't read that mirrorless were battery eaters.  I

who?me?

« Reply #21 on: 20 Feb 2018, 05:49 pm »

Clark, Ive been a camera nut for over 10 years and have travelled much of the world, but not Africa (yet).
its great that you are undergoing hiking training, which tells me its most likely going to be a challenge with thinning air, etc at 19k feet. My recs, and feel free to question them, this is in lieu of a larger essay:

1. Get a light camera. Lugging a large, heavy DSL up the mountain with 3 large lenses will not make you happy, it will make you curse every name from this thread who encouraged you to do so.
2. You dont need a wide angle lens b/c of the ability of the most basic digital cameras this days which will allow you to take several panoramic pics and "stitch" them together, as if they were one pic. Also, a wide angle lens has more glass, and is inordinately heavy for the the pics you want.

3. the higher you go, the colder it is, the more your batteries will wear out. pack lots of extras. contact the tour guide ahead of time and ask how many batteries the hikers usually go through.
4. We are at the nexus of digital pic technology, you can spend under $500 for a digital camera that will do what you want, but will not be as robust for a hike and getting beat around during a safari. I would suggest spending about $1000 for a digital camera that has a built in lens with range 28mm-125mm or so.

5. some digital cams will do ok in travelling/extreme weather conditions, but are not guaranteed. And you dont want to lose your Africa pics. Many cameras are made these days that are "All-weather" cameras, with much better seals, and can even be submerged under water up to a meter or so. that wont happen on Kilaminjaro. but it will get wet from melted snow. Leica makes a great all weather camera, but it is TOTL, and expensive.
6. if you do get a DLSR, consider the Canon Rebel, it comes with one or two lenses, is lighter than other pro DSLRs, and makes excellent images. The film version of the Canon Rebel is/was one of the best selling SLRs of all time. I had one.

7. Take 2-3 smaller cameras might be another way to go. But bring at least A BACK UP camera for insurance.
8. I know this is controversial in this day and age, but bring a reliable small point and shoot FILM CAMERA". Color or black and white film, a few rolls. it can act as a back up camera, and many times the BATTERIES in the film camera will be more immune to dying than batteries in digital cameras, b/c of all the power the Digital camera requires.

9. Haul your stereo system to the top of Kilimanjaro and have a party!
let us know what you decide!
gary

Folsom

« Reply #22 on: 20 Feb 2018, 06:31 pm »

A viewing attachment can help since the screen is smaller than the back screen.

Wind Chaser

« Reply #23 on: 20 Feb 2018, 07:49 pm »

I'd rather pack a small camera with a few extra batteries than a DSLR, especially if I'm going to be hoofing it all day, never mind eight days up a mountain. Believe me, your best bet is small 1" compact.

stlrman

« Reply #24 on: 20 Feb 2018, 10:48 pm »
I say use your phone when u need to , otherwise take it all in .
Ps . I’m a professional photographer.
If u have to take a camera , go light as others have mentioned.

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #25 on: 20 Feb 2018, 10:56 pm »
That's what I've decided.  Small, waterproof, shock resistant.  Spent my extra cash on an altitude training machine.  We will work up to sleeping under half oxygen content in a month or so. 
Figure I can sell it for most of what I paid after the climb. 
Maybe someone around here would be interested. 
The final package for about $850
Olympus Tough TG-820 iHS+ two extra batteries+ Higher Peak Mountain Air 10-- both used in new-ish condition.

I'll have to make the sleeping tent out of tent poles, plastic sheeting, zippers, and corrugated tubing.  Guess I'll find out what effects sleeping in 10.5% oxygen has on married life- that and making our bedroom look like an ICU unit. 

SET Man

« Reply #27 on: 27 Feb 2018, 02:07 am »
Hey!

Here's my $0.02 on this. Although I don't own any of the following camera but if I can't carry my current set up of film and digital cameras anymore I would go with either the ..

1. Sony RX100 V for ultra light and compactness with a usable zoom of 35mm equivalent of 24-70mm f1.8-2.8, I usually have 24-70mm f2.8 on my camera so this would be just fine.

2. But with a little more room I would go with the Sony RX10 II with 24-200mm f2.8 zoom, this cover my two zooms I have 24-70mm f2.8 and 70-200 f2.8. This one is pretty a do it all camera to me.

Of course you'll need to have extra batts, at least 2 extra for a day out. Will you have place to charge your batts on your hike? And if you are going to get them soak than that's another story.

Well, for now I will stick with my film and full frame digital set up.

Take care,
Buddy  :thumb:

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #28 on: 27 Feb 2018, 03:06 am »
Recommendations?
I strongly rec a full spectrum camera if you can find one used, really something special for outdoor shots, I have a regular D3200 and so far take about 100 shots all from audio parts, I take some outdoor shots and they are completely boring, the same as all the other photos I have see everywhere.

Worth mention a FS camera is FS only outdoor, in indoor places the shots are normal as a regular camera, unless there is a ghost near you.