surround

7red

surround
« on: 16 Jan 2008, 07:57 pm »
If I can't find any used vintage ACI for my second system, I'm considering either the B-Flat in-wall or the On The Wall by descant for rear channels.  Or possibly bipoles from another manufacturer.  Does anyone have any experience with or thoughts on the On The Wall?  I convinced a friend to go with the On The Wall speakers a couple of years ago, but it is an outdoor application and they are mounted too high for me to appreciate them.
Or any thoughts on particular manufactuers or models that might blend in well in a home theater with ACI up front.
Thanks,
Joe

budyog

• I don't listen to audio, I listen to music.
Re: surround
« Reply #1 on: 16 Jan 2008, 08:33 pm »
Hi 7red,
 I have these ACI in walls http://www.audioc.com/speakers1/bflat/standard65.htm in my 3 season porch in the ceiling mounted in not ported old KLH speaker boxes. If you go to my gallery, you will see the old boxes. They sound great and being that they are in a 3 season porch I do crank them from time to time as we play pool volleyball in the summer. Highly recommended!

joe

« Reply #2 on: 18 Jan 2008, 06:03 pm »
Thanks for the info; I enjoyed the KLH demolition pics!

jimmy b

« Reply #3 on: 19 Jan 2008, 01:33 am »
check the videogone web site, htere are a few ACI speaker slisted there as well as my set of
Essence.

audio gone is also a good site for used (vintage) audiophile gear.

Mike Dzurko

« Reply #4 on: 24 Jan 2008, 04:35 pm »
Joe:

The inwalls and the on-the wall all make excellent surround speakers. The 8" co-ax inwalls are my favorites of the bunch if there is space, etc.

joe

« Reply #5 on: 28 Feb 2008, 03:46 pm »
Thanks for the advice on the 8" coax. I had been leaning toward the on-wall primarly because of perceived easier installation and the ability to diffuse the sound by directing them toward the corner or ceiling.
I'm also toying with the idea of moving a pair of your LV1 monitors from a second system to a surround role in the main home theater system. This way I get to upgrade a front end which, although more expensive, is somewhat more attractive than buying inwall surround speakers.  Besides, I have MORE than gotten my money's worth out of the LVs - thay have sounded great with an original Titan [also still going strong] with quality cables, NAD and then Marrantz electronics.  And the cherry finish looks as good today as it did in 1995.