Dave Brubeck dies at 91

rockadanny

Re: Dave Brubeck dies at 91
« Reply #1 on: 9 Dec 2016, 12:14 am »
Sad. A true music master. Time to spin his "time series" releases in his honor.

Freo-1

« Reply #2 on: 9 Dec 2016, 12:20 am »
Sad. A true music master. Time to spin his "time series" releases in his honor.

Sounds good to me.  I'll dig mine out as well. 

Dave Brubeck was an innovator in jazz music.

nik.d

« Reply #3 on: 9 Dec 2016, 12:29 am »
Khm...

rockadanny

« Reply #4 on: 9 Dec 2016, 01:09 am »
Oh for cryin' out loud.  :duh:

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #5 on: 9 Dec 2016, 01:42 am »
Dave Brubeck was born Dec. 6, 1920 and died Dec. 5, 2012.
This news is 4 years old. Unless, of course, that NYT article is incorrect. I checked Wiki though, and it lists the dates I just shared.

nik.d

« Reply #6 on: 9 Dec 2016, 01:47 am »
Macro Jack, you are missing Micro Details...  :)

syzygy

« Reply #7 on: 9 Dec 2016, 02:46 am »
He's still dead.

JerryM

• Where's The Bar?
« Reply #8 on: 9 Dec 2016, 02:49 am »
He's still dead.

Yeah, but now he's died twice.  8)

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #9 on: 9 Dec 2016, 02:58 am »
And in other news, the Generalissimo Francisco Franco is still dead. 

JerryM

• Where's The Bar?
« Reply #10 on: 9 Dec 2016, 03:03 am »
 :lol:

OzarkTom

« Reply #11 on: 9 Dec 2016, 03:54 am »
 :duh:u

Guess I should look at the details better., guys and gals. This popped up on my Facebook today from one of the audiophile reviews, so I figured it was current.

rodge827

« Reply #12 on: 9 Dec 2016, 05:18 am »
 :lol:

Rusty Jefferson

« Reply #13 on: 9 Dec 2016, 03:45 pm »
It was a simple mistake of course, but emblematic of the bombardment of information being launched at people from corporations like The Facebook whose algorithms will scrounge up so much "fake news" or 4 year old obituaries to get eyes looking at their "feeds" that users no longer take time to actually read what's being thrown at them.  I'm not criticizing the OP,  rather the people feeding him/her "news".  :D  I choose not to receive "news" from these corporations by not using them, and encourage others to stop using them. Just my 2 cents.

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #14 on: 9 Dec 2016, 06:10 pm »
It was a simple mistake of course, but emblematic of the bombardment of information being launched at people from corporations like The Facebook whose algorithms will scrounge up so much "fake news" or 4 year old obituaries to get eyes looking at their "feeds" that users no longer take time to actually read what's being thrown at them.  I'm not criticizing the OP,  rather the people feeding him/her "news".  :D  I choose not to receive "news" from these corporations by not using them, and encourage others to stop using them. Just my 2 cents.

In my experience, you have to do some serious searching and know what you are looking for to find sources that are trustworthy and unbiased. It seems that all info these days is agenda driven. That, of course, is not the case, but all high profile news sources are guilty of bias, misinformation and outright lying. My comment is in reference to conditions in the U.S. No idea how other nations are informed.

S Clark

« Reply #15 on: 9 Dec 2016, 08:50 pm »
Basically, if it has an editor, it is usually worth reading. Most of the old school sources are reliable... United Press International (UPI), Associated Press (AP), Reuters, and some of the older print magazines... Time, The Week.  Newspapers can be ok, if you know their leanings.  WSJ leans right, Washinton Post leans left, Christian Science Monitor is pretty neutral.  Then there is the whole group that are intentionally misleading/sensationalist... but that list is entering into the political realm. 

charmerci

« Reply #16 on: 10 Dec 2016, 01:01 am »
Basically, if it has an editor, it is usually worth reading. Most of the old school sources are reliable... United Press International (UPI), Associated Press (AP), Reuters, and some of the older print magazines... Time, The Week.  Newspapers can be ok, if you know their leanings.  WSJ leans right, Washinton Post leans left, Christian Science Monitor is pretty neutral.  Then there is the whole group that are intentionally misleading/sensationalist... but that list is entering into the political realm.

Funny, you bring this up. I remember the shock in freshman college English class when the prof said - don't use Time and other weekly magazines as a source/reference in papers. They are just composite articles taken from other sources.

S Clark

« Reply #17 on: 10 Dec 2016, 01:59 am »
Sure they are composites, and are not quotable for academic purposes, but they tend to be reliable, hence good overview sources.  I taught Current Events for many years, and had state finalist teams for several of those.  Knowing the source of your info is crucial.  Knowing the philosophy of the those controlling the info is just as important.  Some provide information to inform, some to control. 
Faux news is dangerous in that it creates cynicism that further splinters a divided public.