Pink Floyd Recommendations

Don_S

Re: Pink Floyd Recommendations
« Reply #20 on: 21 Aug 2016, 04:01 pm »
If you are unfamiliar with early Floyd then you are really in for a treat.

I say to hell with Pulse and go straight to Live in Pompeii! (actually, I'm not sure if its available on CD)

Live at Pompeii appears to be OOP.  New CD on Amazon is $290 and used starts at $211.  Think I will pass.

sonicxtc

« Reply #21 on: 21 Aug 2016, 05:43 pm »
Welcome to the Pink Floyd Rabbit Hole!
There's simply way too many good Floyd albums to recommend just one.
That said, MEDDLE is the one to get next. Echoes is a standout.

Floyd's career pretty much goes through phases:
very early singles which were not really hits at all
Syd Barrett inspired psychedelic influenced circa 1966/68
Then, the group shifts again when Barrett leaves the group circa 1968 and Gilmour is more prominent. Floyd evolves a LOT during this era.
Then, the Meddle, Dark Side, Wish You Were Here and Animals era
Then, Waters starts to take the helm with The Wall

Suggestions:

Saucerful of Secrets
the "More" Soundtrack
Ummagumma
for the adventurous---a landmark for serious Floyd fans

Enjoy!

SteveFord

• Volunteer
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #22 on: 21 Aug 2016, 05:58 pm »
You might find some suitable tracks on The Complete BBC Sessions.
I just listened to all 4 sides and it's always great to hear Syd Barrett. 
There was a tragic story, poor guy.

You might as well just buy them all but if I never hear The Wall again I'll be perfectly content.

MaxCast

« Reply #23 on: 21 Aug 2016, 08:43 pm »
Wow, how did I miss this thread? Don't get Meddle, save it for last (my fav).  Start at the beginning and move up.  Granted a nice pair will be a bit far out but it is plenty melodic.  The early Floyd will take a few spins to get them so be patient and give it time.  You will see the transition from happy Sid Barrett to weird Sid, intro of Gilmour, Gilmour/Waters genius, to Waters conceptuals, Waters absence, then the end.  Save the live stuff for when you reach the end and are left wanting more.
Then there is always the members solo works.  Sid, David and Roger's works are pretty good.  the other's not so much.

*Scotty*

« Reply #24 on: 21 Aug 2016, 08:52 pm »
Live at Pompeii, ebay is your friend.
Scotty

charmerci

« Reply #25 on: 22 Aug 2016, 02:07 am »
I now have so much music and my early PF music is not super familiar to me - as full albums. I listened to Piper and Saucerful again and I have to say that Piper at... is awesome. I think it's my new fav - though sound quality (standard CD) has much to be desired. It's not too far out strange either.

drphoto

« Reply #26 on: 22 Aug 2016, 02:45 am »
+1 on Meddle. The best of their lesser known albums. It took DSotM to capture the worlds attention, but Meddle was their first real masterpiece.

You might want to try the concert DVD "Pulse" from 1994. It's the original band minus Roger Waters. The staging is a little over the top.....I mean to you really need moving head lights, lasers, animatronics and pyro? But the playing is great, and it was good to see Rick Wright with the band. There's a moment during 'great gig' that I find rather moving where Rick and Gilmore look at each other and smile. You can almost hear them thinking 'isn't this just the best thing ever?'

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #27 on: 22 Aug 2016, 04:52 am »
Also there is Dave Gilmour/same solo album, a nice alternative rock for the old days, but it not fly as Floyd:

GRACE RUBY

timind

• permanent vacation
« Reply #29 on: 27 Aug 2016, 11:37 am »
Get this immediately:

You won't be dissapointed.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #30 on: 27 Aug 2016, 11:39 am »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BkN7qyaFEUU
Sing a Floyd song is a too great weight for bowie, he is sufferable.

Dieterle Tool

• I don't know what it is, but I wunt it.
« Reply #31 on: 27 Aug 2016, 12:11 pm »
When life gets me down and I need a lift, I get my inspiration from "Fearless". Your first pick should be Meddle.

And "Live at Pompei" for the home theatre experience. Outstanding performance, good selection of songs and it doesn't sound dreadful.

Dieter

gmurray618

« Reply #32 on: 13 Sep 2016, 02:27 am »
Wow!I Can't believe no one has mentioned ummagumma!!!  Ok, 1 person.  :duh:
Half live (first disk) half recorded in Abby Roads Studio iin 1969. 
One of my favorites next I would go with Atom Heart Mother, side one with N orchestra.  One side , one song.  Then its off to Metal.  But ya gotta get Animals. Plane and simple.   :thumb: